Dial-In Access to Proxy Server - Networking

This is a discussion on Dial-In Access to Proxy Server - Networking ; I have what I think is an interesting project: I would like to provide dial-in access to my proxy server for a friend who can not afford an Internet account, but whose computer does have a modem. I would like ...

  1. Dial-In Access to Proxy Server

    I have what I think is an interesting project:

    I would like to provide dial-in access to my proxy server for a friend
    who can not afford an Internet account, but whose computer does have a
    modem. I would like this friend to be able to have Internet access
    by dialing into this proxy server, with authentication. In other
    words, I would be a one-client ISP.

    I already run a proxy server running Squid which listens for incoming
    Internet connections from a restricted range of ip's (for another
    unrelated project), and need to configure this server to listen for
    incoming dial-in connections on its modem. I would also set up a
    DHCP server on this machine.

    I'm sure this is possible, but would like to solicit specific
    ideas about how to proceed.

    Thanks,
    Barry

  2. Re: Dial-In Access to Proxy Server

    On Thu, 27 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    article , Barry wrote:

    >I would like to provide dial-in access to my proxy server for a friend
    >who can not afford an Internet account, but whose computer does have a
    >modem. I would like this friend to be able to have Internet access
    >by dialing into this proxy server, with authentication. In other
    >words, I would be a one-client ISP.

    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 70695 Jan 10 2001 ISP-Setup-RedHat-HOWTO

    Obviously from the date, it's on the old side, and it's describing how
    it's done on a RH7.0 system - but it's not using Red Hat specific tools.

    >I already run a proxy server running Squid which listens for incoming
    >Internet connections from a restricted range of ip's (for another
    >unrelated project), and need to configure this server to listen for
    >incoming dial-in connections on its modem.

    The howto above

    >I would also set up a DHCP server on this machine.

    Dialin doesn't use DHCP, so unless you need it for some OTHER service,
    it's not needed here. See the 'pppd' man page, and look at the colon
    option (first item under the OPTIONS section).

    >I'm sure this is possible, but would like to solicit specific
    >ideas about how to proceed.

    Start with the HOWTO - come back with details (your distribution being
    one important one) if you need more help.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread