Some websites do not load well on wifi - Networking

This is a discussion on Some websites do not load well on wifi - Networking ; Here's an interesting problem. I am using Linux with Firefox on a laptop (ubuntu 7.10). It generally works just fine. However, right now I am visiting parents and I installed a wifi router (about 2-3 year old netgear). I am ...

  1. Some websites do not load well on wifi

    Here's an interesting problem. I am using Linux with Firefox on a
    laptop (ubuntu 7.10).

    It generally works just fine.

    However, right now I am visiting parents and I installed a wifi router
    (about 2-3 year old netgear). I am about 30 feet away from the
    router. Signal strength is not great, but it works, for example, I
    copied about 730 megabyte movie over scp overnight.

    The problem is that Firefox is not doing too well downloading
    websites. The problem mainly seems to be with sites with a lot of
    iframes, javascripts, asshole "third party" javascript trackers and
    some such.

    The manifestation is that firefox starts downloading stuff, and then
    gets stuck saying "transferring data".

    It is not consistent, but some sites are particularly bad. One example
    could be this page:

    http://millerwelds.com/products/multiprocess/

    Despite many tries, it never downloaded fully.

    I think that it is some kind of a networking issue, like TCP
    connections not properly following the TCP resend logic, or some such.

  2. Re: Some websites do not load well on wifi

    Ignoramus4611 wrote:
    > The manifestation is that firefox starts downloading stuff, and then
    > gets stuck saying "transferring data".

    In Firefox, try disabling IPv6. In address bar, type about:config
    then type network.dns.disableIPv6, double-click it to turn it to true.
    Restart Firefox, see if that helps.

    If not, then turn IPv6 off completely in Ubuntu:

    If that doesn't work, try this:

    Watch line wraps.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  3. Re: Some websites do not load well on wifi

    Ignoramus4611 wrote:

    > It is not consistent, but some sites are particularly bad. One example
    > could be this page:
    >
    > http://millerwelds.com/products/multiprocess/
    >
    > Despite many tries, it never downloaded fully.
    >
    > I think that it is some kind of a networking issue, like TCP
    > connections not properly following the TCP resend logic, or some such.

    The fact that the problem only occurs when you're using a wireless
    connection could indicate an MTU-related problem with your networking
    hardware.

    Try lowering the MTU on the wireless interface ("ifconfig
    mtu 1492") and/or have iptables clamp the
    tcp-mss value to the MTU. ("iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --tcp-flags
    SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu")

    KR

  4. Re: Some websites do not load well on wifi

    On 2007-12-27, KR wrote:
    > Ignoramus4611 wrote:
    >>
    >> It is not consistent, but some sites are particularly bad. One example
    >> could be this page:
    >>
    >> http://millerwelds.com/products/multiprocess/
    >>
    >> Despite many tries, it never downloaded fully.
    >>
    >> I think that it is some kind of a networking issue, like TCP
    >> connections not properly following the TCP resend logic, or some such.

    > The fact that the problem only occurs when you're using a wireless
    > connection could indicate an MTU-related problem with your networking
    > hardware.

    Could be. It did seem to be such that TCP protocol was not working
    properly, which your explanation accounts for.

    > Try lowering the MTU on the wireless interface ("ifconfig
    > mtu 1492") and/or have iptables clamp the
    > tcp-mss value to the MTU. ("iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --tcp-flags
    > SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu")

    I like this. I have returned home, but when I visit them next time, I
    will try this. That could be a few months.