WPA-PSK: What is "Group Key Update"? - Networking

This is a discussion on WPA-PSK: What is "Group Key Update"? - Networking ; Can somebody enlighten me on "Group Key Update" with WPA-PSK? I have had great problems making my D-Link DWL-G810 Ethernet to Wireless bridge and my Jensen AL-2954 Wireless router work together when I selected WPA-PSK. Connection was established but dropped ...

  1. WPA-PSK: What is "Group Key Update"?

    Can somebody enlighten me on "Group Key Update"
    with WPA-PSK? I have had great problems making my
    D-Link DWL-G810 Ethernet to Wireless bridge and my
    Jensen AL-2954 Wireless router work together when I
    selected WPA-PSK. Connection was established but
    dropped again after a short time (30 seconds?)

    At last I have discovered that I have to select 0 for
    a Jensen configuration parameter "Group Key Update
    Period", this parameter is said to define the update
    interval in seconds (30 is the default) and 0 means
    that there shall be no update.

    I have been unable to find information on what
    "Group Key Update" really is or the effect of varying
    the update interval of even completely disable updates.

    (Neither Google nor Wikipedia was of much help but
    it is quite possibøle that I looked at the wrong places?)

    Can somebody help?
    regards Sven

  2. Re: WPA-PSK: What is "Group Key Update"?

    On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 19:18:31 +0100, "Sven Pran"
    wrote:

    >Can somebody enlighten me on "Group Key Update"
    >with WPA-PSK? I have had great problems making my
    >D-Link DWL-G810 Ethernet to Wireless bridge and my
    >Jensen AL-2954 Wireless router work together when I
    >selected WPA-PSK. Connection was established but
    >dropped again after a short time (30 seconds?)

    It's possibly something to do with tkip key exchange.

    Perhaps you need to be a bit more specific with some of the wpa-psk
    settings and specifically choose tkip or aes rather than leave it to
    some automatic selection mechanism?

    Jim.

  3. Re: WPA-PSK: What is "Group Key Update"?

    "James Egan" wrote in message

    > On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 19:18:31 +0100, "Sven Pran"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Can somebody enlighten me on "Group Key Update"
    >>with WPA-PSK? I have had great problems making my
    >>D-Link DWL-G810 Ethernet to Wireless bridge and my
    >>Jensen AL-2954 Wireless router work together when I
    >>selected WPA-PSK. Connection was established but
    >>dropped again after a short time (30 seconds?)

    > It's possibly something to do with tkip key exchange.
    >
    > Perhaps you need to be a bit more specific with some of the wpa-psk
    > settings and specifically choose tkip or aes rather than leave it to
    > some automatic selection mechanism?

    I know that the router uses TKIP because that is what is
    displayed in the site scan by the DLink bridge.

    There is no option in the configuration of the DLink bridge
    other than specifying the key phrase related to WPA-PSK.

    For the Jensen router I can specify WPA/WPA2 PSK
    security with the alternatives: WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK or
    AUTOMATIC and I can specify encryption with TKIP, AES
    or AUTOMATIC. I have specified AUTOMATIC for both and
    the documentation says that the router will then select the
    option based on the wireless station request.

    regards Sven

  4. Re: WPA-PSK: What is "Group Key Update"?

    On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 00:46:14 +0100, "Sven Pran"
    wrote:

    >For the Jensen router I can specify WPA/WPA2 PSK
    >security with the alternatives: WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK or
    >AUTOMATIC and I can specify encryption with TKIP, AES
    >or AUTOMATIC. I have specified AUTOMATIC for both and
    >the documentation says that the router will then select the
    >option based on the wireless station request.

    The first thing to try is specifying tkip instead of auto. Failing
    that, you might look to see if there are firmware upgrades available
    for the router and bridge at the various websites.

    Incidentally, changing the key fairly regularly is an important part
    of the tkip security so changing that setting to 0 probably isn't a
    good idea.

    Jim.

  5. Re: WPA-PSK: What is "Group Key Update"?

    "James Egan" wrote in message

    > On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 00:46:14 +0100, "Sven Pran"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>For the Jensen router I can specify WPA/WPA2 PSK
    >>security with the alternatives: WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK or
    >>AUTOMATIC and I can specify encryption with TKIP, AES
    >>or AUTOMATIC. I have specified AUTOMATIC for both and
    >>the documentation says that the router will then select the
    >>option based on the wireless station request.

    > The first thing to try is specifying tkip instead of auto. Failing
    > that, you might look to see if there are firmware upgrades available
    > for the router and bridge at the various websites.
    >
    > Incidentally, changing the key fairly regularly is an important part
    > of the tkip security so changing that setting to 0 probably isn't a
    > good idea.

    I agree, that is why I am still a bit worried.

    But changing AUTOMATIC to TKIP (which as mentioned is
    what the site survey tells me is selected anyway) and inserting
    some value for "Group Key Update" destroyed the onnection
    again.

    My best guess is that DLink fails to support this "Group Key Update"
    even though they claim they are WIFI certified.

    I sure would like to know more about this parameter.

    Sven

+ Reply to Thread