dhcp, dhclient, and roadrunner - Networking

This is a discussion on dhcp, dhclient, and roadrunner - Networking ; Hello, I'm having an issue with my roadrunner. At first i thought it was a firewall issue but since i have to restart dhclient for the new ip to be picked up the firewall guy's say no. My issue is ...

  1. dhcp, dhclient, and roadrunner

    Hello,
    I'm having an issue with my roadrunner. At first i thought it was a
    firewall issue but since i have to restart dhclient for the new ip to be
    picked up the firewall guy's say no.
    My issue is i'm running a gateway box connected to rr via a linux box.
    That's running dhclient from isc as it's dhcp client getting it's ip via rr.
    My issue is whenever roadrunner changes my ip, which usually happens when
    i'm away, i have to get back here, rerun dhclient on the interface, and
    reload the firewall before the new ip is registered. An ifconfig on the
    interface shows the old ip still in place even though it's been
    reappropriated, and pinging or anything else doesn't work until i do the
    reset.
    There's nothing in my dhclient.conf file. I've read of similar issues,
    but no fixes. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Dave.

  2. Re: dhcp, dhclient, and roadrunner

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 06:23:21 -0500, Dave wrote:

    > My issue is i'm running a gateway box connected to rr via a linux box.
    > That's running dhclient from isc as it's dhcp client getting it's ip via rr.
    > My issue is whenever roadrunner changes my ip, which usually happens when
    > i'm away, i have to get back here, rerun dhclient on the interface, and
    > reload the firewall before the new ip is registered. An ifconfig on the
    > interface shows the old ip still in place even though it's been
    > reappropriated, and pinging or anything else doesn't work until i do the
    > reset.

    I assume you do NOT have tmdns or avahi* service/daemon running.

    Think about it, if the lease is being renewed most of the time
    then your firewall is not in the way.

    I ran a firewall/gateway box on rr and the only times I had problems
    was when the dhcp server or rr gateway box was taking a break.

    You would need to look through your logs to see what happened when you
    had the outage.

    You can create a /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks script to tell you when
    lease times, gateway, or ip change. I had one to tell me when lease
    times became short indicating they were doing maintenance and I could
    look forward to a possible outage.

    You could have a daily cron job to ping -c 1 66.94.234.13 (yahoo.com) and
    get a copy of files/log to see what happened if the ping fails.
    Even restart the network upon failure.

+ Reply to Thread