help setting up first openvpn - Networking

This is a discussion on help setting up first openvpn - Networking ; Hello, Can anyone assist with setting up my first openvpn? I've read the docs, howtos, and books, but something basic isn't connecting. I've got the openvpn setup on a centos 5.1 box, and remote clients can connect to it which ...

  1. help setting up first openvpn

    Hello,
    Can anyone assist with setting up my first openvpn? I've read the docs,
    howtos, and books, but something basic isn't connecting. I've got the
    openvpn setup on a centos 5.1 box, and remote clients can connect to it
    which tells me my firewalls shouldn't be an issue, but they can't do
    anything else, not pinging, not mounting samba shares.
    I've got keys and can meet on aim or irc if anyone has done this and can
    help i'd appreciate it.
    Thanks.
    Dave.

  2. Re: help setting up first openvpn

    "Dave" writes:

    >Hello,
    > Can anyone assist with setting up my first openvpn? I've read the docs,
    >howtos, and books, but something basic isn't connecting. I've got the
    >openvpn setup on a centos 5.1 box, and remote clients can connect to it
    >which tells me my firewalls shouldn't be an issue, but they can't do
    >anything else, not pinging, not mounting samba shares.
    > I've got keys and can meet on aim or irc if anyone has done this and can
    >help i'd appreciate it.
    >Thanks.
    >Dave.

    /etc/openvpn/openvpn.conf
    on the server
    -------------------------
    dev tun
    #The other side should use
    #ifconfig 10.8.0.2 10.8.0.1
    #remote your.server.name.ca
    persist-key
    persist-tun
    verb 3
    port 1194
    ifconfig 10.8.0.1 10.8.0.2

    #This static.key file must be transfered to the other side as well.
    secret /etc/openvpn/static.key
    ---------------------------

    On the remote machine

    ----------------------------------
    dev tun
    #The other side should use
    ifconfig 10.8.0.2 10.8.0.1
    remote 111.222.333.444 1194
    #That is the server ip address
    persist-key
    persist-tun
    verb 3
    ping 60

    #This static.key file must be transfered to the other side as well.
    secret /etc/openvpn/static.key

    And them make sure that you use those IP to make the connections.

  3. Re: help setting up first openvpn

    Hello,
    Thanks. I can get connected to the openvpn server while i'm remote, but
    that's it, i can't ping any other boxes or see anything on the other side of
    the link.
    Thanks.
    Dave.

    "Unruh" wrote in message
    > "Dave" writes:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >> Can anyone assist with setting up my first openvpn? I've read the
    >> docs,
    >>howtos, and books, but something basic isn't connecting. I've got the
    >>openvpn setup on a centos 5.1 box, and remote clients can connect to it
    >>which tells me my firewalls shouldn't be an issue, but they can't do
    >>anything else, not pinging, not mounting samba shares.
    >> I've got keys and can meet on aim or irc if anyone has done this and
    >> can
    >>help i'd appreciate it.
    >>Thanks.
    >>Dave.

    > /etc/openvpn/openvpn.conf
    > on the server
    > -------------------------
    > dev tun
    > #The other side should use
    > #ifconfig 10.8.0.2 10.8.0.1
    > #remote your.server.name.ca
    > persist-key
    > persist-tun
    > verb 3
    > port 1194
    > ifconfig 10.8.0.1 10.8.0.2
    >
    > #This static.key file must be transfered to the other side as well.
    > secret /etc/openvpn/static.key
    > ---------------------------
    >
    > On the remote machine
    >
    > ----------------------------------
    > dev tun
    > #The other side should use
    > ifconfig 10.8.0.2 10.8.0.1
    > remote 111.222.333.444 1194
    > #That is the server ip address
    > persist-key
    > persist-tun
    > verb 3
    > ping 60
    >
    > #This static.key file must be transfered to the other side as well.
    > secret /etc/openvpn/static.key
    >
    > And them make sure that you use those IP to make the connections.

  4. Re: help setting up first openvpn

    "Dave" writes:

    >Hello,
    > Thanks. I can get connected to the openvpn server while i'm remote, but
    >that's it, i can't ping any other boxes or see anything on the other side of
    >the link.

    That is almost certainly a routing problem. You have to tell your machine
    which packets to send down the vpn link. It has no idea what you want it to
    do without telling it.
    Post your routing tables and tell us what you actually want to do.
    route -n

    >Thanks.
    >Dave.

    >"Unruh" wrote in message
    >> "Dave" writes:
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>> Can anyone assist with setting up my first openvpn? I've read the
    >>> docs,
    >>>howtos, and books, but something basic isn't connecting. I've got the
    >>>openvpn setup on a centos 5.1 box, and remote clients can connect to it
    >>>which tells me my firewalls shouldn't be an issue, but they can't do
    >>>anything else, not pinging, not mounting samba shares.
    >>> I've got keys and can meet on aim or irc if anyone has done this and
    >>> can
    >>>help i'd appreciate it.
    >>>Thanks.
    >>>Dave.

    >> /etc/openvpn/openvpn.conf
    >> on the server
    >> -------------------------
    >> dev tun
    >> #The other side should use
    >> #ifconfig 10.8.0.2 10.8.0.1
    >> #remote your.server.name.ca
    >> persist-key
    >> persist-tun
    >> verb 3
    >> port 1194
    >> ifconfig 10.8.0.1 10.8.0.2
    >>
    >> #This static.key file must be transfered to the other side as well.
    >> secret /etc/openvpn/static.key
    >> ---------------------------
    >>
    >> On the remote machine
    >>
    >> ----------------------------------
    >> dev tun
    >> #The other side should use
    >> ifconfig 10.8.0.2 10.8.0.1
    >> remote 111.222.333.444 1194
    >> #That is the server ip address
    >> persist-key
    >> persist-tun
    >> verb 3
    >> ping 60
    >>
    >> #This static.key file must be transfered to the other side as well.
    >> secret /etc/openvpn/static.key
    >>
    >> And them make sure that you use those IP to make the connections.

  5. Re: help setting up first openvpn

    Hi,
    Thanks for all of this. I got it. I had to enable packet forwarding on
    the vpn server not the lan gateway and add a few firewall rules and a nat
    clause, it works great now in routing mode, haven't tried bridging yet.
    Thanks.
    Dave.

+ Reply to Thread