Tunnel IMAP4/SSL through an HTTP proxy - Networking

This is a discussion on Tunnel IMAP4/SSL through an HTTP proxy - Networking ; Hello, In my new company, we are behind an very restrictive http proxy. (well- formed requests on port 80) The proxy is not transparent. I'm new to linux networking, and I wondered what type of software I would need to ...

  1. Tunnel IMAP4/SSL through an HTTP proxy

    Hello,

    In my new company, we are behind an very restrictive http proxy. (well-
    formed requests on port 80) The proxy is not transparent.

    I'm new to linux networking, and I wondered what type of software I
    would need to evade these restrictions. I can use my (always on) home
    computer as a proxy.

    Furthermore, if my mail client is too dumb to properly use something
    like an socks proxy, would it be possible to map a port on my local
    machine to Google's Imap servers ?

    (thinking of which, it would be neat to be able to tunnel ssh through
    the company's proxy, through my own proxy, connect to my computer then
    do what I want... but sounds like a pain to configure and to use -like
    handling deconnections-)

    Jean

  2. Re: Tunnel IMAP4/SSL through an HTTP proxy

    On 2007-12-19, Jean Berniolles wrote:
    > I'm new to linux networking, and I wondered what type of software I
    > would need to evade these restrictions.

    A resignation letter. Restrictions are there to _avoid_ a lot of
    problems, if you can't get authorization to do something and you have
    no idea how to do it yourself, don't do it.

    > (thinking of which, it would be neat to be able to tunnel ssh through
    > the company's proxy

    before or after you get fired for breaking the policy?

    Davide

    --
    Do you have a point, or are you saving it for a special occasion?
    -- David P. Murphy

  3. Re: Tunnel IMAP4/SSL through an HTTP proxy

    On 2007-12-19, Jean Berniolles wrote:

    > In my new company, we are behind an very restrictive http proxy. (well-
    > formed requests on port 80) The proxy is not transparent.
    >
    > I'm new to linux networking, and I wondered what type of software I
    > would need to evade these restrictions.

    Whatever email software your organization uses to write a very careful
    and well-informed email message to the person or people who wrote these
    restrictions, asking for an exemption to their policies; if they won't
    grant you an exemption, do your private work from home. (If possible,
    find out the reason(s) for the restrictive proxy, and address it very
    clearly in your message.)

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  4. Re: Tunnel IMAP4/SSL through an HTTP proxy

    Well, guess I've used the wrong words. Replace every instance of
    "company" by phone operator and "computer" by Smartphone. Also replace
    restrictive firewall by "unlimited http usage but you get billed if
    you use other protocols".
    (Assuming if someone says "unlimited fair http usage", you are free to
    use something else that the embedded browser.)

    I'm sorry, to have /distorted/ the reality, but I wanted to hear about
    a broader array of solutions and techniques than the one I'm seeking.

    Jean

  5. Re: Tunnel IMAP4/SSL through an HTTP proxy

    On Dec 19, 11:56 am, Jean Berniolles wrote:

    > Well, guess I've used the wrong words. Replace every instance of
    > "company" by phone operator and "computer" by Smartphone. Also replace
    > restrictive firewall by "unlimited http usage but you get billed if
    > you use other protocols".
    > (Assuming if someone says "unlimited fair http usage", you are free to
    > use something else that the embedded browser.)

    > I'm sorry, to have /distorted/ the reality, but I wanted to hear about
    > a broader array of solutions and techniques than the one I'm seeking.

    Oh, we apologize. No we understand you were just trying to steal. We
    apologize for thinking you were trying to be bad for no reason.

    If you don't like your billing plan, find another one. Stealing is not
    the answer.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread