NTPd questions - Networking

This is a discussion on NTPd questions - Networking ; My biggest problems with ntpd are: 1) I have no idea whether it is actually working and doing its job, or failing for whatever reasons and 2) There is no way to force it to just "query the time now". ...

  1. NTPd questions

    My biggest problems with ntpd are:

    1) I have no idea whether it is actually working and doing its job, or
    failing for whatever reasons

    and

    2) There is no way to force it to just "query the time now".

    Consequently, for now, I am switching from it to just running ntpdate
    from cron.

    I want to know if anyone has resolved these issues.

    Thanks

  2. Re: NTPd questions

    On Dec 18, 3:53 am, Ignoramus28151 28151.invalid> wrote:
    > My biggest problems with ntpd are:
    >
    > 1) I have no idea whether it is actually working and doing its job, or
    > failing for whatever reasons

    That's what programs like 'ntpq' and 'ntpdc' are for.

    > and
    >
    > 2) There is no way to force it to just "query the time now".

    Since that's not its purpose, why should there be? If you want to
    query the time now, use a time querying program (like ntpdate) rather
    than a time synchronization program like ntpd.

    > Consequently, for now, I am switching from it to just running ntpdate
    > from cron.

    That's not good. If your clock is too fast, every time you run
    'ntpdate' there may be a backwards jump.

    > I want to know if anyone has resolved these issues.

    Can you be a bit more specific? What are you seeing? What are you
    expecting to see? What is your configuration? What does 'ntpq -np' or
    'ntpdc -c sysinfo' show?

    DS

  3. Re: NTPd questions

    On 12/18/2007 05:23 PM, Ignoramus28151 wrote:
    > My biggest problems with ntpd are:
    >
    > 1) I have no idea whether it is actually working and doing its job, or
    > failing for whatever reasons
    >
    > and
    >
    > 2) There is no way to force it to just "query the time now".
    >
    > Consequently, for now, I am switching from it to just running ntpdate
    > from cron.
    >
    > I want to know if anyone has resolved these issues.

    Run from the rc scripts:

    ntpd -q

    before, daemonizing your ntpd, the manpage reads that above mimics the
    'ntpdate' program.

    Please see the ntpd manpage for further details.

    Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP

  4. Re: NTPd questions

    Ignoramus28151 wrote:
    > My biggest problems with ntpd are:
    >
    > 1) I have no idea whether it is actually working and doing its job, or
    > failing for whatever reasons

    Read your log files!

    Robert

    > and
    >
    > 2) There is no way to force it to just "query the time now".
    >
    > Consequently, for now, I am switching from it to just running ntpdate
    > from cron.
    >
    > I want to know if anyone has resolved these issues.
    >

    > Thanks

  5. Re: NTPd questions

    Ignoramus28151 wrote:
    > My biggest problems with ntpd are:
    >
    > 1) I have no idea whether it is actually working and doing its job, or
    > failing for whatever reasons
    >
    > and
    >
    > 2) There is no way to force it to just "query the time now".
    >
    > Consequently, for now, I am switching from it to just running ntpdate
    > from cron.
    >
    > I want to know if anyone has resolved these issues.
    >

    > Thanks

    Issues resolved long ago.
    1. Read the log files. ntpd outputs information through syslog. If
    what is says isn't enough, try adding a -d or two to the startup
    command line.
    2. "query the time now" is something you generally want done only at
    startup, which is when you run either ntpdate or ntpd -b.

  6. Re: NTPd questions

    On 2007-12-18, Douglas O'Neal wrote:
    > Ignoramus28151 wrote:
    >> My biggest problems with ntpd are:
    >>
    >> 1) I have no idea whether it is actually working and doing its job, or
    >> failing for whatever reasons
    >>
    >> and
    >>
    >> 2) There is no way to force it to just "query the time now".
    >>
    >> Consequently, for now, I am switching from it to just running ntpdate
    >> from cron.
    >>
    >> I want to know if anyone has resolved these issues.
    >>

    >> Thanks

    > Issues resolved long ago.
    > 1. Read the log files. ntpd outputs information through syslog. If
    > what is says isn't enough, try adding a -d or two to the startup
    > command line.
    > 2. "query the time now" is something you generally want done only at
    > startup, which is when you run either ntpdate or ntpd -b.

    OK. I think that my problems stemmed from mentioning clock2.redhat.com
    in my ntp.conf. I went through a few servers and made sure that I
    either run ntpdate regularly, or else that ntpd is set up properly.

  7. Re: NTPd questions

    Ignoramus28151 writes:

    >My biggest problems with ntpd are:

    >1) I have no idea whether it is actually working and doing its job, or
    >failing for whatever reasons

    ntpq -p
    will show you what the last query of the verious clocks was.
    and will show you the offsets calculated for the various clocks.

    Note that ntp will not do better than about a few msec because of latencies
    in the networking software.

    >and

    >2) There is no way to force it to just "query the time now".

    Why do you want it to do that? You could use chrony which has a burst
    command to chronyc which queries the remote clocks now.
    But it is not clear what this will accomplish. Perhaps if you told us why
    you want these things, we could help you accomplish what you really want.
    If you really want accurate times, why not use the Garmin GPS18LVM to set
    up a microsecond accurate time standard on your machine?

    >Consequently, for now, I am switching from it to just running ntpdate
    >from cron.

    While possible, this does not adjust the rate of the clock to take out the
    worst discrepancies. Most computer clocks run from 10 to a hundred parts
    per million out in the rate of the cpu tick. That is seconds per day. ntp
    tries to adjust the clock rate so that the computer tick clock is accurate
    as well as the time being accurate. ntpdate simply adjusts the time itself
    AFAIK, and not the rate.

    >I want to know if anyone has resolved these issues.

    What issues? Neither of those sound like issues to me.

    >Thanks

  8. Re: NTPd questions

    David Schwartz :

    > Can you be a bit more specific? What are you seeing? What are you
    > expecting to see? What is your configuration? What does 'ntpq -np' or
    > 'ntpdc -c sysinfo' show?

    I don't know about him, but here lots of interesting stuff, thanks. I
    didn't know about those before either.