Name resolution for local names using DHCP - Networking

This is a discussion on Name resolution for local names using DHCP - Networking ; I can't figure out how to get name resolution for computers on my home WLAN, though everything works all right if I type in explicit IP addresses. The IP addresses will vary because of DHCP, so I can't simply put ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

  1. Name resolution for local names using DHCP

    I can't figure out how to get name resolution for computers on my home
    WLAN, though everything works all right if I type in explicit IP
    addresses. The IP addresses will vary because of DHCP, so I can't
    simply put them in /etc/hosts.

    The hostnames and IP addresses are all known to the router (Linksys
    wrt54g), as I can confirm by querying the router. Should the router not
    resolve these local hostnames? Or do I misunderstand how this should
    work under DHCP?

  2. Re: Name resolution for local names using DHCP

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 14:20:28 -0600, Charles Russell wrote:

    > I can't figure out how to get name resolution for computers on my home
    > WLAN, though everything works all right if I type in explicit IP
    > addresses. The IP addresses will vary because of DHCP, so I can't
    > simply put them in /etc/hosts.
    >
    > The hostnames and IP addresses are all known to the router (Linksys
    > wrt54g), as I can confirm by querying the router. Should the router not
    > resolve these local hostnames? Or do I misunderstand how this should
    > work under DHCP?

    the DHCP server will assign ( if you tell it too ) the address
    of your DNS server. It can be the same server as your DHCP Server
    or it can be some other server.

    My dhcp server is configured to tell the dhcp clients the dns ip
    address they are supposed to use and that's what they use...

    you should be able to look at the /etc/resolv.conf file ( for linux
    ) to see what DNS server it's using and do iptables /all ( I think
    that's it ) on windows to see what DNS it is using.

    --
    D.A.M. - Mothers Against Dyslexia

    see http://www.jacksnodgrass.com for my contact info.

    jack - Grapevine/Richardson

  3. Re: Name resolution for local names using DHCP

    Jack Snodgrass wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 14:20:28 -0600, Charles Russell wrote:
    >
    >> I can't figure out how to get name resolution for computers on my home
    >> WLAN, though everything works all right if I type in explicit IP
    >> addresses. The IP addresses will vary because of DHCP, so I can't
    >> simply put them in /etc/hosts.
    >>
    >> The hostnames and IP addresses are all known to the router (Linksys
    >> wrt54g), as I can confirm by querying the router. Should the router not
    >> resolve these local hostnames? Or do I misunderstand how this should
    >> work under DHCP?

    > the DHCP server will assign ( if you tell it too ) the address
    > of your DNS server. It can be the same server as your DHCP Server
    > or it can be some other server.
    >
    > My dhcp server is configured to tell the dhcp clients the dns ip
    > address they are supposed to use and that's what they use...
    >
    > you should be able to look at the /etc/resolv.conf file ( for linux
    > ) to see what DNS server it's using and do iptables /all ( I think
    > that's it ) on windows to see what DNS it is using.

    /etc/resolv.conf (created by dhcpcd) contains the IP address of the
    wireless router, which I think has a built-in DHCP server. With this
    configuration, DNS resolution works fine for the internet. It just
    doesn't work for the local hosts on my WLAN.

  4. Re: Name resolution for local names using DHCP

    Charles Russell wrote:

    > Jack Snodgrass wrote:
    >> On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 14:20:28 -0600, Charles Russell wrote:
    >>
    >>> I can't figure out how to get name resolution for computers on my home
    >>> WLAN, though everything works all right if I type in explicit IP
    >>> addresses. The IP addresses will vary because of DHCP, so I can't
    >>> simply put them in /etc/hosts.
    >>>
    >>> The hostnames and IP addresses are all known to the router (Linksys
    >>> wrt54g), as I can confirm by querying the router. Should the router not
    >>> resolve these local hostnames? Or do I misunderstand how this should
    >>> work under DHCP?

    >> the DHCP server will assign ( if you tell it too ) the address
    >> of your DNS server. It can be the same server as your DHCP Server
    >> or it can be some other server.
    >>
    >> My dhcp server is configured to tell the dhcp clients the dns ip
    >> address they are supposed to use and that's what they use...
    >>
    >> you should be able to look at the /etc/resolv.conf file ( for linux
    >> ) to see what DNS server it's using and do iptables /all ( I think
    >> that's it ) on windows to see what DNS it is using.
    >>

    > /etc/resolv.conf (created by dhcpcd) contains the IP address of the
    > wireless router, which I think has a built-in DHCP server. With this
    > configuration, DNS resolution works fine for the internet. It just
    > doesn't work for the local hosts on my WLAN.

    The router picksup an IP address via dhcp fromm your IP provider. It also
    get's the DNS addresses from you IP provider... then as you add clients to
    your network, the router hands each of them an IP address and then provides
    the DNS addresses it got from your IP provider. That means... the router
    KNOWS NOTHING about your local lan.

    What you need to do, is setup your OWN DNS resource and add your client IP
    and hostnames to it... then configure your router to hand out the address
    of your own DNS instead of passing though the ones from your IP provider.

    Cheers.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  5. Re: Name resolution for local names using DHCP

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 14:20:28 -0600, Charles Russell wrote:

    > I can't figure out how to get name resolution for computers on my home
    > WLAN, though everything works all right if I type in explicit IP
    > addresses. The IP addresses will vary because of DHCP, so I can't
    > simply put them in /etc/hosts.
    >
    > The hostnames and IP addresses are all known to the router (Linksys
    > wrt54g), as I can confirm by querying the router. Should the router not
    > resolve these local hostnames? Or do I misunderstand how this should
    > work under DHCP?

    No offense, but on a home lan why do you need dhcp? Why not assign
    everything static addresses? Works a lot simpler that way.

  6. Re: Name resolution for local names using DHCP

    Jerry McBride wrote:
    > Charles Russell wrote:
    >
    >> Jack Snodgrass wrote:

    >>> the DHCP server will assign ( if you tell it too ) the address
    >>> of your DNS server. It can be the same server as your DHCP Server
    >>> or it can be some other server.
    >>>
    >>> My dhcp server is configured to tell the dhcp clients the dns ip
    >>> address they are supposed to use and that's what they use...
    >>>
    >>> you should be able to look at the /etc/resolv.conf file ( for linux
    >>> ) to see what DNS server it's using and do iptables /all ( I think
    >>> that's it ) on windows to see what DNS it is using.
    >>>

    >> /etc/resolv.conf (created by dhcpcd) contains the IP address of the
    >> wireless router, which I think has a built-in DHCP server. With this
    >> configuration, DNS resolution works fine for the internet. It just
    >> doesn't work for the local hosts on my WLAN.

    > The router picksup an IP address via dhcp fromm your IP provider. It also
    > get's the DNS addresses from you IP provider... then as you add clients to
    > your network, the router hands each of them an IP address and then provides
    > the DNS addresses it got from your IP provider. That means... the router
    > KNOWS NOTHING about your local lan.

    If I log on to the router and select status - local network - dhcp -
    clients, the router returns a table of IP addresses and local hostnames.
    So the information is there, if I knew how to access it automatically. I
    can get it manually and put it in /etc/hosts, but then it can change
    whenever DHCP reassigns leases.

    > What you need to do, is setup your OWN DNS resource and add your client IP
    > and hostnames to it...
    > then configure your router to hand out the address
    > of your own DNS instead of passing though the ones from your IP provider.

    How does that work? I thought that the hostname - IP address
    association must be obtained somehow from the DHCP server, since the
    DHCP server assigns the IP addresses, and they are not constant.

  7. Re: Name resolution for local names using DHCP

    ray wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 14:20:28 -0600, Charles Russell wrote:
    >
    >> I can't figure out how to get name resolution for computers on my home
    >> WLAN, though everything works all right if I type in explicit IP
    >> addresses. The IP addresses will vary because of DHCP, so I can't
    >> simply put them in /etc/hosts.
    >>
    >> The hostnames and IP addresses are all known to the router (Linksys
    >> wrt54g), as I can confirm by querying the router. Should the router not
    >> resolve these local hostnames? Or do I misunderstand how this should
    >> work under DHCP?

    > No offense, but on a home lan why do you need dhcp? Why not assign
    > everything static addresses? Works a lot simpler that way.

    I'm just groping my way along with network configuration. I used a Unix
    network at work for ten years, but we had a system administrator who
    handled the configuration.

    I chose the default configuration in the setup software for my Linksys
    wireless router, without having any idea what was going on, and ended up
    with DHCP. Afterward I looked up DHCP in Wikipedia, to try to grasp what
    was happening.

    In the Knoppix FAQ's I found DHCP recommended strongly as simplifying
    network setup. Indeed, with DHCP everything now works - with the
    exception of resolving local names, which is a nuisance but can be dealt
    with manually.

    Am I not just missing some simple configuration detail? Would it really
    be simpler to assign static IP's? I think the Knoppix FAQ mentioned
    that DHCP does a few more things than just assign IP addresses.

    With DHCP everything now works - with the exception of resolving local
    names. This is a nuisance, but is not critical since I can enter an
    explicit IP for ftp and ssh. Name resolution for shared Windows
    directories is working OK, presumably mediated by the Windows SMB
    server; smbclient finds the target machine by hostname even though I
    can't ping it except by explicit IP address. I don't know how much of
    this would be affected if I dropped DHCP.

  8. Re: Name resolution for local names using DHCP