How to access a shared windows folder. - Networking

This is a discussion on How to access a shared windows folder. - Networking ; I am using fedora 8 and am trying to connect to my windows xp machine's shared folder. I am able to see the machine on the local network and the shared folder using smbclient -L \\COMPUTERNAME -I 111.111.1.1 but how ...

  1. How to access a shared windows folder.

    I am using fedora 8 and am trying to connect to my windows xp
    machine's shared folder. I am able to see the machine on the local
    network and the shared folder using

    smbclient -L \\COMPUTERNAME -I 111.111.1.1

    but how do i access the folder and get files from it.???????????

  2. Re: How to access a shared windows folder.

    On Dec 13, 7:01 pm, paulritt...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I am using fedora 8 and am trying to connect to my windows xp
    > machine's shared folder. I am able to see the machine on the local
    > network and the shared folder using
    >
    > smbclient -L \\COMPUTERNAME -I 111.111.1.1
    >
    > but how do i access the folder and get files from it.???????????

    It's not clear what you're asking. Why not just read the documentation
    for 'smbclient' and use it to do those things? Or do you want to
    actually mount it? If so, read the documentation on "smbmount".

    DS

  3. Re: How to access a shared windows folder.

    On Dec 13, 11:51 pm, David Schwartz wrote:
    > On Dec 13, 7:01 pm, paulritt...@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > I am using fedora 8 and am trying to connect to my windows xp
    > > machine'ssharedfolder. I am able to see the machine on the local
    > > network and thesharedfolder using

    > > smbclient -L \\COMPUTERNAME -I 111.111.1.1

    > > but how do iaccessthe folder and get files from it.???????????

    > It's not clear what you're asking. Why not just read the documentation
    > for 'smbclient' and use it to do those things? Or do you want to
    > actually mount it? If so, read the documentation on "smbmount".
    >
    > DS

    I want to actually mount the folder... I am going to look up
    "smbmount"
    Thanks Much

  4. Re: How to access a shared windows folder.

    paulrittell@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I am using fedora 8 and am trying to connect to my windows xp
    > machine's shared folder.

    Assuming you're using Gnome. Try nautilus --> File --> connect to server
    --> Windows Share.

    --Benjamin Franklin

  5. Re: How to access a shared windows folder.

    In news:fb1cfebb-580e-4522-9784-f0cb9d31fe95@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com,
    paulrittell@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I am using fedora 8 and am trying to connect to my windows xp
    > machine's shared folder. I am able to see the machine on the local
    > network and the shared folder using
    >
    > smbclient -L \\COMPUTERNAME -I 111.111.1.1
    >
    > but how do i access the folder and get files from it.???????????

    Mount it so it becomes part of your local filesystem, e.g.:

    mkdir /tmp/xp
    mount -t smbfs //computername/sharename /tmp/xp -o \
    username=username,uid=userid,gid=groupid

    where username is the xp username to whom acces is restricted (if so), and
    userid and groupid are local to your Linux system. It's not advised to use
    password= in the options, as that would display the password needed (if
    required) on the xp machine to access the share. It would be visible to
    anyone running "ps auxww" on the Linux box.

    Then you can access the files under /tmp/xp as if they were local to your
    machine. Even if the filesystem on the xp box is NTFS, read/write occurs
    properly, as it's handled by the xp machine and not the Linux.

+ Reply to Thread