Windows / Linux password interplay - Networking

This is a discussion on Windows / Linux password interplay - Networking ; I have a Windows Vista machine that I am integrating into an existing Linux Lab. Is there an easy way to take a Linux passwd file and set up the Windows machines to recognize those same users? It's a small ...

  1. Windows / Linux password interplay

    I have a Windows Vista machine that I am integrating into an existing
    Linux Lab. Is there an easy
    way to take a Linux passwd file and set up the Windows machines to
    recognize those same
    users?

    It's a small lab (17 machines), so I am looking for an easy and simple
    solution, if possible.

    thanks,
    kenny

  2. Re: Windows / Linux password interplay

    Hello kenbo!

    14 Dec 07 02:36, kenbo wrote to All:

    k> I have a Windows Vista machine that I am integrating into an existing
    k> Linux Lab. Is there an easy
    k> way to take a Linux passwd file and set up the Windows machines to
    k> recognize those same
    k> users?

    k> It's a small lab (17 machines), so I am looking for an easy and simple
    k> solution, if possible.

    Install samba on one of the linux boxes. set it up to use common user names
    and passwords and set up the windows box to access the samba box as a master
    browser.

    Vince

  3. Re: Windows / Linux password interplay

    kenbo wrote:
    > I have a Windows Vista machine that I am integrating into an existing
    > Linux Lab. Is there an easy
    > way to take a Linux passwd file and set up the Windows machines to
    > recognize those same
    > users?
    >
    > It's a small lab (17 machines), so I am looking for an easy and simple
    > solution, if possible.
    >
    > thanks,
    > kenny

    If you have an existing Linux network, you already need more than a
    passwd file to recognise (i.e. authenticate and authorize) your users to
    the network. So, if you haven't done so already, set yourself up an LDAP
    server so that your network can share user logins, groups and whatever
    else you might want to share over the network.

    If you want Windows machines to share the same logins, you also need a
    package which on my (Debian) system is called smbldap-tools which
    provides tools to keep Linux and Samba accounts in sync.

    Robert

  4. Re: Windows / Linux password interplay

    On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:36:29 -0800, kenbo wrote:

    > I have a Windows Vista machine that I am integrating into an existing
    > Linux Lab. Is there an easy
    > way to take a Linux passwd file and set up the Windows machines to
    > recognize those same
    > users?
    >
    > It's a small lab (17 machines), so I am looking for an easy and simple
    > solution, if possible.
    >
    > thanks,
    > kenny

    You might want to read up on NIS - used to be yellow pages.

  5. Re: Windows / Linux password interplay

    On 2007-12-15, ray wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:36:29 -0800, kenbo wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Windows Vista machine that I am integrating into an existing
    >> Linux Lab. Is there an easy
    >> way to take a Linux passwd file and set up the Windows machines to
    >> recognize those same
    >> users?

    > You might want to read up on NIS - used to be yellow pages.

    NIS is probably the least helpful of the already-suggested options.
    Samba or LDAP will be much easier to configure for Windows<->linux
    shared authentication.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  6. Re: Windows / Linux password interplay

    Robert Harris wrote:
    > kenbo wrote:
    >> I have a Windows Vista machine that I am integrating into an existing
    >> Linux Lab. Is there an easy
    >> way to take a Linux passwd file and set up the Windows machines to
    >> recognize those same
    >> users?
    >>
    >> It's a small lab (17 machines), so I am looking for an easy and simple
    >> solution, if possible.
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> kenny

    > If you have an existing Linux network, you already need more than a
    > passwd file to recognise (i.e. authenticate and authorize) your users to
    > the network. So, if you haven't done so already, set yourself up an LDAP
    > server so that your network can share user logins, groups and whatever
    > else you might want to share over the network.
    >
    > If you want Windows machines to share the same logins, you also need a
    > package which on my (Debian) system is called smbldap-tools which
    > provides tools to keep Linux and Samba accounts in sync.
    >
    > Robert

    Do you have any good pointers to how to do this, especially the Windows
    part? I've sort of stumbled through getting the username and password
    setup of LDAP on Linux, but not on the Samba or Windows side. I've
    already set up Samba as a Domain controller, but I'd love to have my
    passwords centrally managed.

    One VERY neat trick is that, if you have the user's home directory
    defined in the domain controller, if they use Cygwin to create a command
    line shell, the domain automatically uses that for the user's Cygwin
    home directory.

    (Samba will actually do a reasonable job of managing the Linux passwords
    of users, but that's with a standard flat password/shadow file, not with
    any kind of NIS/LDAP server.)

    One other question I've already posted in another thread (but not seen
    an answer yet) is how you inform the Linux automounter where to find the
    NFS server with the user's home directory. NIS does this very nicely,
    but I'm trying to get away from NIS. (Need to integrate with Active
    Directory in a mixed environment.)

  7. Re: Windows / Linux password interplay

    Robert Harris wrote:
    > kenbo wrote:
    >> I have a Windows Vista machine that I am integrating into an existing
    >> Linux Lab. Is there an easy
    >> way to take a Linux passwd file and set up the Windows machines to
    >> recognize those same
    >> users?
    >>
    >> It's a small lab (17 machines), so I am looking for an easy and simple
    >> solution, if possible.
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> kenny

    > If you have an existing Linux network, you already need more than a
    > passwd file to recognise (i.e. authenticate and authorize) your users to
    > the network. So, if you haven't done so already, set yourself up an LDAP
    > server so that your network can share user logins, groups and whatever
    > else you might want to share over the network.
    >
    > If you want Windows machines to share the same logins, you also need a
    > package which on my (Debian) system is called smbldap-tools which
    > provides tools to keep Linux and Samba accounts in sync.
    >
    > Robert

    Do you have any good pointers to how to do this, especially the Windows
    part? I've sort of stumbled through getting the username and password
    setup of LDAP on Linux, but not on the Samba or Windows side. I've
    already set up Samba as a Domain controller, but I'd love to have my
    passwords centrally managed.

    One VERY neat trick is that, if you have the user's home directory
    defined in the domain controller, if they use Cygwin to create a command
    line shell, the domain automatically uses that for the user's Cygwin
    home directory.

    (Samba will actually do a reasonable job of managing the Linux passwords
    of users, but that's with a standard flat password/shadow file, not with
    any kind of NIS/LDAP server.)

    One other question I've already posted in another thread (but not seen
    an answer yet) is how you inform the Linux automounter where to find the
    NFS server with the user's home directory. NIS does this very nicely,
    but I'm trying to get away from NIS. (Need to integrate with Active
    Directory in a mixed environment.)

  8. Re: Windows / Linux password interplay

    Charles Tryon wrote:
    > Robert Harris wrote:
    >> kenbo wrote:
    >>> I have a Windows Vista machine that I am integrating into an existing
    >>> Linux Lab. Is there an easy
    >>> way to take a Linux passwd file and set up the Windows machines to
    >>> recognize those same
    >>> users?
    >>>
    >>> It's a small lab (17 machines), so I am looking for an easy and simple
    >>> solution, if possible.
    >>>
    >>> thanks,
    >>> kenny

    >> If you have an existing Linux network, you already need more than a
    >> passwd file to recognise (i.e. authenticate and authorize) your users
    >> to the network. So, if you haven't done so already, set yourself up an
    >> LDAP server so that your network can share user logins, groups and
    >> whatever else you might want to share over the network.
    >>
    >> If you want Windows machines to share the same logins, you also need a
    >> package which on my (Debian) system is called smbldap-tools which
    >> provides tools to keep Linux and Samba accounts in sync.
    >>
    >> Robert

    > Do you have any good pointers to how to do this, especially the Windows
    > part? I've sort of stumbled through getting the username and password
    > setup of LDAP on Linux, but not on the Samba or Windows side. I've
    > already set up Samba as a Domain controller, but I'd love to have my
    > passwords centrally managed.
    >
    > One VERY neat trick is that, if you have the user's home directory
    > defined in the domain controller, if they use Cygwin to create a command
    > line shell, the domain automatically uses that for the user's Cygwin
    > home directory.
    >
    > (Samba will actually do a reasonable job of managing the Linux passwords
    > of users, but that's with a standard flat password/shadow file, not with
    > any kind of NIS/LDAP server.)
    >
    > One other question I've already posted in another thread (but not seen
    > an answer yet) is how you inform the Linux automounter where to find the
    > NFS server with the user's home directory. NIS does this very nicely,
    > but I'm trying to get away from NIS. (Need to integrate with Active
    > Directory in a mixed environment.)

    The best tutorial I have come across is "OpenLDAP Everywhere Revisited"
    at:

    The software you will probably use to keep Linux and Samba passwords
    etc. in step is from:

    Most Linux distributions support it.

    I know nothing about automounting, I'm afraid!

    Robert

  9. Re: Windows / Linux password interplay

    Charles Tryon wrote:
    > Robert Harris wrote:
    >> kenbo wrote:
    >>> I have a Windows Vista machine that I am integrating into an existing
    >>> Linux Lab. Is there an easy
    >>> way to take a Linux passwd file and set up the Windows machines to
    >>> recognize those same
    >>> users?
    >>>
    >>> It's a small lab (17 machines), so I am looking for an easy and simple
    >>> solution, if possible.
    >>>
    >>> thanks,
    >>> kenny

    >> If you have an existing Linux network, you already need more than a
    >> passwd file to recognise (i.e. authenticate and authorize) your users
    >> to the network. So, if you haven't done so already, set yourself up an
    >> LDAP server so that your network can share user logins, groups and
    >> whatever else you might want to share over the network.
    >>
    >> If you want Windows machines to share the same logins, you also need a
    >> package which on my (Debian) system is called smbldap-tools which
    >> provides tools to keep Linux and Samba accounts in sync.
    >>
    >> Robert

    > Do you have any good pointers to how to do this, especially the Windows
    > part? I've sort of stumbled through getting the username and password
    > setup of LDAP on Linux, but not on the Samba or Windows side. I've
    > already set up Samba as a Domain controller, but I'd love to have my
    > passwords centrally managed.
    >
    > One VERY neat trick is that, if you have the user's home directory
    > defined in the domain controller, if they use Cygwin to create a command
    > line shell, the domain automatically uses that for the user's Cygwin
    > home directory.
    >
    > (Samba will actually do a reasonable job of managing the Linux passwords
    > of users, but that's with a standard flat password/shadow file, not with
    > any kind of NIS/LDAP server.)
    >
    > One other question I've already posted in another thread (but not seen
    > an answer yet) is how you inform the Linux automounter where to find the
    > NFS server with the user's home directory. NIS does this very nicely,
    > but I'm trying to get away from NIS. (Need to integrate with Active
    > Directory in a mixed environment.)

    If samba is set up as a domain controller, you've got central password
    management provided you join all your linux and wondows machines to the
    samba domain. Your windows boxes would have to be Windows 2000, XP Pro
    (not "Home"), or vista "business" or "ultimate".

  10. Re: Windows / Linux password interplay

    Robert Harris wrote:
    > Charles Tryon wrote:
    >> Robert Harris wrote:

    >>> If you have an existing Linux network, you already need more than a
    >>> passwd file to recognise (i.e. authenticate and authorize) your users
    >>> to the network. So, if you haven't done so already, set yourself up an
    >>> LDAP server so that your network can share user logins, groups and
    >>> whatever else you might want to share over the network.
    >>>
    >>> If you want Windows machines to share the same logins, you also need a
    >>> package which on my (Debian) system is called smbldap-tools which
    >>> provides tools to keep Linux and Samba accounts in sync.
    >>>
    >>> Robert

    >> Do you have any good pointers to how to do this, especially the Windows
    >> part? I've sort of stumbled through getting the username and password
    >> setup of LDAP on Linux, but not on the Samba or Windows side. I've
    >> already set up Samba as a Domain controller, but I'd love to have my
    >> passwords centrally managed.
    >>
    >> One VERY neat trick is that, if you have the user's home directory
    >> defined in the domain controller, if they use Cygwin to create a command
    >> line shell, the domain automatically uses that for the user's Cygwin
    >> home directory.
    >>
    >> (Samba will actually do a reasonable job of managing the Linux passwords
    >> of users, but that's with a standard flat password/shadow file, not with
    >> any kind of NIS/LDAP server.)
    >>
    >> One other question I've already posted in another thread (but not seen
    >> an answer yet) is how you inform the Linux automounter where to find the
    >> NFS server with the user's home directory. NIS does this very nicely,
    >> but I'm trying to get away from NIS. (Need to integrate with Active
    >> Directory in a mixed environment.)
    >>

    > The best tutorial I have come across is "OpenLDAP Everywhere Revisited"
    > at:
    >
    > The software you will probably use to keep Linux and Samba passwords
    > etc. in step is from:
    >
    > Most Linux distributions support it.
    >
    > I know nothing about automounting, I'm afraid!
    >
    > Robert

    Thanks! I'd seen that page before but hadn't gone all the way through
    it. It looks like it should have the information necessary to set up my
    home directories, as well as tying into my Samba Windows domain.

    --
    Chuck Tryon

  11. Re: Windows / Linux password interplay

    Robert Harris wrote:
    > Charles Tryon wrote:
    >> Robert Harris wrote:

    >>> If you have an existing Linux network, you already need more than a
    >>> passwd file to recognise (i.e. authenticate and authorize) your users
    >>> to the network. So, if you haven't done so already, set yourself up an
    >>> LDAP server so that your network can share user logins, groups and
    >>> whatever else you might want to share over the network.
    >>>
    >>> If you want Windows machines to share the same logins, you also need a
    >>> package which on my (Debian) system is called smbldap-tools which
    >>> provides tools to keep Linux and Samba accounts in sync.
    >>>
    >>> Robert

    >> Do you have any good pointers to how to do this, especially the Windows
    >> part? I've sort of stumbled through getting the username and password
    >> setup of LDAP on Linux, but not on the Samba or Windows side. I've
    >> already set up Samba as a Domain controller, but I'd love to have my
    >> passwords centrally managed.
    >>
    >> One VERY neat trick is that, if you have the user's home directory
    >> defined in the domain controller, if they use Cygwin to create a command
    >> line shell, the domain automatically uses that for the user's Cygwin
    >> home directory.
    >>
    >> (Samba will actually do a reasonable job of managing the Linux passwords
    >> of users, but that's with a standard flat password/shadow file, not with
    >> any kind of NIS/LDAP server.)
    >>
    >> One other question I've already posted in another thread (but not seen
    >> an answer yet) is how you inform the Linux automounter where to find the
    >> NFS server with the user's home directory. NIS does this very nicely,
    >> but I'm trying to get away from NIS. (Need to integrate with Active
    >> Directory in a mixed environment.)
    >>

    > The best tutorial I have come across is "OpenLDAP Everywhere Revisited"
    > at:
    >
    > The software you will probably use to keep Linux and Samba passwords
    > etc. in step is from:
    >
    > Most Linux distributions support it.
    >
    > I know nothing about automounting, I'm afraid!
    >
    > Robert

    Thanks! I'd seen that page before but hadn't gone all the way through
    it. It looks like it should have the information necessary to set up my
    home directories, as well as tying into my Samba Windows domain.

    --
    Chuck Tryon

  12. Re: Windows / Linux password interplay

    Charles Tryon wrote:
    > Robert Harris wrote:
    >> Charles Tryon wrote:

    >>> Do you have any good pointers to how to do this, especially the Windows
    >>> part? I've sort of stumbled through getting the username and password
    >>> setup of LDAP on Linux, but not on the Samba or Windows side. I've
    >>> already set up Samba as a Domain controller, but I'd love to have my
    >>> passwords centrally managed.
    >>>
    >>> One VERY neat trick is that, if you have the user's home directory
    >>> defined in the domain controller, if they use Cygwin to create a command
    >>> line shell, the domain automatically uses that for the user's Cygwin
    >>> home directory.
    >>>
    >>> (Samba will actually do a reasonable job of managing the Linux passwords
    >>> of users, but that's with a standard flat password/shadow file, not with
    >>> any kind of NIS/LDAP server.)
    >>>
    >>> One other question I've already posted in another thread (but not seen
    >>> an answer yet) is how you inform the Linux automounter where to find the
    >>> NFS server with the user's home directory. NIS does this very nicely,
    >>> but I'm trying to get away from NIS. (Need to integrate with Active
    >>> Directory in a mixed environment.)
    >>>

    >> The best tutorial I have come across is "OpenLDAP Everywhere Revisited"
    >> at:
    >>
    >> The software you will probably use to keep Linux and Samba passwords
    >> etc. in step is from:
    >>

    >> Most Linux distributions support it.
    >>
    >> I know nothing about automounting, I'm afraid!
    >>
    >> Robert

    > Thanks! I'd seen that page before but hadn't gone all the way through
    > it. It looks like it should have the information necessary to set up my
    > home directories, as well as tying into my Samba Windows domain.

    Hummm... I finally got a chance to look at that page and try out some
    of the automount setup, and unfortunately, it seems to suffer the same
    problem as all the other OpenLDAP tutorials I've seen out there -- they
    all seem to be either incomplete, out of date or just plain inaccurate.
    I have seen several examples of how to set up home directories and the
    automounter, but they all seem to specify different object types. The
    difficulty is that, at least on Fedora, it looks like the schema has
    changed (several times?) and it's impossible for me to figure out what
    classes the automounter is looking for. If I try to use the classes
    from one example, I get errors on the insertion (missing or incorrect
    attributes). If I use another HOWTO example, I can insert the classes,
    but the automounter barfs when it can't find the /home object it is
    looking for..... :-(

    Is there a way to tell what exact queries the automounter is performing
    on the LDAP server?

    --
    Chuck Tryon

+ Reply to Thread