Printing from Samba - Networking

This is a discussion on Printing from Samba - Networking ; After my previous fight with the computers, I wrote: Since I have reported this backwards, *I will terminate this thread here. start the config again from the beginning, make a diary of what I have tried, and give a proper ...

  1. Printing from Samba

    After my previous fight with the computers, I wrote:

    Since I have reported this backwards, *I will terminate this thread here.
    start the config again from the beginning, make a diary of what I have
    tried, and give a proper Smart Questions post later, if I am stuck for more
    than 24 hours.

    So, here it is again:

    My problem: I have a Brother printer which isn't on the CUPS list of
    printers. A driver in RPM format is available from Brother's Web site,
    which works with Cups, but it is very slow compared to Windows printing.
    KDE calls it defective, and I use KDE.

    I am running Samba 1.3

    The printer is connected via USB to my Mandriva system. I want my wife's
    laptop running XP to be able to print to it via Samba, since she has
    nowhere to put a printer in her study, otherwise I might do the reverse.

    Running cupsaddsmb, I initially got an error: "No Windows printer drivers
    are installed!"

    I then deleted Mandriva's "omnibus" smb.conf, and installed one with only
    what I need. At present, it is as follows:

    [global]
    netbios name = The_Server
    server string = Samba Server
    workgroup = My_Windows_Work_group
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    smb passwd file = /var/lib/samba/private/smbpasswd
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    wins support = yes
    hostname lookups = yes
    ; hosts equiv = /etc/hosts
    hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
    hosts deny = All
    interfaces = lo eth0
    bind interfaces only = yes
    guest ok = yes
    browse list = yes
    printcap name = cups
    printing = cups
    load printers = yes

    [home_directories]
    comment = User's home directory
    path = /home/%U
    read only = no
    valid users = %U root

    [printers]
    comment = All Printers
    browseable = no
    printable = yes
    writable = no
    public = yes
    guest ok = yes
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printer admin = root

    # [M240C]
    #comment = Brother Multifunction 240C
    #printable = yes
    #path = /var/spool/samba
    #public = yes
    #guest ok = yes
    #printer admin = root

    [print$]
    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /etc/samba/drivers
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = no
    read only = yes
    write list = root

    With it, I can browse my Home directories.

    To create the Windows files in C:\...\w32X86\3\, I followed the procedure in
    the Gentoo Samba HOWTO, and installed a Postscript printer. I then copied
    the files across to /usr/share/cups/drivers. The RPM for CUPS6 has a bug,
    in that it accepts only Cups 1.1 and 1.2, although it says ">". This is
    repeated in the one provided by Mandriva, but the tarball ran perfectly. I
    also put the .ppd file in the same directory. My \3\ directory on XP has a
    heap of other files, not mentioned in the HOWTO. I copied them across as
    well.

    The output from cupsaddsmb is now:

    "Running command:
    smbclient ///var/run/cups/cups.sock/print$ -N -A /root/tmp/475df93dc0818 -c 'mkdir
    W32X86;put /root/tmp/475df933a18e4
    W32X86/BROTHERM240C.ppd;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/ps5ui.dll
    W32X86/ps5ui.dll;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript.hlp
    W32X86/pscript.hlp;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript.ntf
    W32X86/pscript.ntf;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript5.dll
    W32X86/pscript5.dll'
    Connection to failed

    Unable to copy Windows 2000 printer driver files (1)!"

    repeating indefinitely. The command is all on one line.

    I was told that this is a permissions problem, but my [print$] share looks
    O.K. All driver files are 664, owned by root.

    For Ubuntu, which doesn't have a root user, there was a suggestion to put an
    ordinary user in the cupsaddsmb command line, but I should not need that.

    I seem to recall that in the end I was told to ditch the whole idea and do
    it differently - perhaps let the client use its own drivers? I can't find
    that thread now.

    I have added the Samba server to my /etc/hosts, but haven't given my computer
    a fixed IP address. It is always 192.168.1.2.

    Any suggestions appreciated.

    Doug.

  2. Re: Printing from Samba

    Doug Laidlaw ha scritto:
> [...]
    > W32X86/pscript.ntf;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript5.dll
    > W32X86/pscript5.dll'
    > Connection to failed
    >
    > Unable to copy Windows 2000 printer driver files (1)!"
    >

    > repeating indefinitely. The command is all on one line.
    >
    > I was told that this is a permissions problem, but my [print$] share looks
    > O.K. All driver files are 664, owned by root.
    >
    > For Ubuntu, which doesn't have a root user, there was a suggestion to put an
    > ordinary user in the cupsaddsmb command line, but I should not need that.
    >
    > I seem to recall that in the end I was told to ditch the whole idea and do
    > it differently - perhaps let the client use its own drivers? I can't find
    > that thread now.
    >
    > I have added the Samba server to my /etc/hosts, but haven't given my computer
    > a fixed IP address. It is always 192.168.1.2.

    Just because I can't see any response to you from more experienced users...
    I have put up a server with cups for a network of winXP machines. The
    printer is installed in cups as a raw printer, and the win clients
    should have the correct driver installed. That's all, it works fine.
    HTH
    Dan

  3. Re: Printing from Samba

    On Dec 10 2007, 6:51*pm, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> [...]
    > heap of other files, not mentioned in the HOWTO. *I copied them across as
    > well.
    >
    > The output from cupsaddsmb is now:
    >
    > "Running command:
    > smbclient ///var/run/cups/cups.sock/print$ -N -A /root/tmp/475df93dc0818 -c 'mkdir
    > W32X86;put /root/tmp/475df933a18e4
    > W32X86/BROTHERM240C.ppd;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/ps5ui.dll
    > W32X86/ps5ui.dll;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript.hlp
    > W32X86/pscript.hlp;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript.ntf
    > W32X86/pscript.ntf;put /usr/share/cups/drivers/pscript5.dll
    > W32X86/pscript5.dll'
    > Connection to *failed
    >
    > Unable to copy Windows 2000 printer driver files (1)!"
    >
    > repeating indefinitely. *The command is all on one line.
    >
    > I was told that this is a permissions problem, but my [print$] share looks
    > O.K. *All driver files are 664, owned by root.

    There is a definition of who is the printer admin in your /etc/samba/
    smb.conf file.The directive might look something like this

    printer admin = smbprint

    where smbprint is a valid user on your system. When the cupsaddsmb
    command attempts to copy the file, it first pretends to be a windows
    smb client. It connects as the user you specify on the cupsaddsmb
    command line, which must be a valid user in the samba passwd file,
    presumably smbprint.

    Root probably isn't allowed to connect to your samba server.

    Define a user in both samb and on your system with the same name,
    designate that user as the printer admin in the smb.conf file and then
    pass that name in on the cupsaddsmb command line.

    you should also be able to connect from a windows box to samba-server/
    print$ as the print admin and write files.

    > For Ubuntu, which doesn't have a root user, there was a suggestion to put an
    > ordinary user in the cupsaddsmb command line, but I should not need that.
    >
    > I seem to recall that in the end I was told to ditch the whole idea and do
    > it differently - perhaps let the client use its own drivers? *I can't find
    > that thread now.
    >
    > I have added the Samba server to my /etc/hosts, but haven't given my computer
    > a fixed IP address. *It is always 192.168.1.2.
    >
    > Any suggestions appreciated.
    >
    > Doug.

+ Reply to Thread