Web server on a standalone Linux with LinkSys WRT54GL ADSL router - Networking

This is a discussion on Web server on a standalone Linux with LinkSys WRT54GL ADSL router - Networking ; Hello, I want to install a Web server on a standalone Linux with LinkSys WRT54GL ADSL router. All I need is something simple there - to host one web html page there with a few links. I want to be ...

  1. Web server on a standalone Linux with LinkSys WRT54GL ADSL router

    Hello,

    I want to install a Web server on a standalone Linux with LinkSys
    WRT54GL ADSL router.

    All I need is something simple there - to host one web html page there
    with a few links. I want to be able to access that page from the
    Internet through some DNS address. This address can be obtained, for
    example, by noip.com or dyndns.

    I googled for this and found some hints, but I wish to know from
    somebody who has experience with it: is it possible ?
    Any recommended links (which work) for such installation?

    Regards,
    Ian

  2. Re: Web server on a standalone Linux with LinkSys WRT54GL ADSL router

    ianbrn@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to install a Web server on a standalone Linux with LinkSys
    > WRT54GL ADSL router.
    >
    > All I need is something simple there - to host one web html page there
    > with a few links. I want to be able to access that page from the
    > Internet through some DNS address. This address can be obtained, for
    > example, by noip.com or dyndns.
    >
    > I googled for this and found some hints, but I wish to know from
    > somebody who has experience with it: is it possible ?
    > Any recommended links (which work) for such installation?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ian

    No problem - just get a free hostname from dyndns.org and configure your
    router to:

    1. route incoming http (port 80) traffic to your web server and
    2. keep dyndns.org updated with your IP address

    Robert

  3. Re: Web server on a standalone Linux with LinkSys WRT54GL ADSL router

    Thanks, Robert.

    It could be that I was not precise in my question.

    I am not talking about installing a web server on one Linux machine
    and redirecting http traffic for it from the router.
    I am talking about installing a web server on the LinkSys
    WRT54GL router itself, and being able to access that web server
    with some DNS address ( which I can get from dyndns, for example).
    This LinkSys WRT54GL router will be a standalone device in the
    configuration I am talking about,
    , it has Linux on it, and no other machine is connected to that
    LinkSys router in that aimed configuration.

    So in terms of power the consumption is reasonable when thinking on a
    web server which in fact holds one html file which
    contains merely some lines of text.

    Is this possible ? did you aim at such configuration in your answer?

    Regards,
    Ian

    On Dec 8, 1:27 pm, Robert Harris
    wrote:
    > ian...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > > I want to install a Web server on a standalone Linux with LinkSys
    > > WRT54GL ADSL router.

    > > All I need is something simple there - to host one web html page there
    > > with a few links. I want to be able to access that page from the
    > > Internet through some DNS address. This address can be obtained, for
    > > example, by noip.com or dyndns.

    > > I googled for this and found some hints, but I wish to know from
    > > somebody who has experience with it: is it possible ?
    > > Any recommended links (which work) for such installation?

    > > Regards,
    > > Ian

    > No problem - just get a free hostname from dyndns.org and configure your
    > router to:
    >
    > 1. route incoming http (port 80) traffic to your web server and
    > 2. keep dyndns.org updated with your IP address
    >
    > Robert

  4. Re: Web server on a standalone Linux with LinkSys WRT54GL ADSLrouter

    On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 11:27:37 +0000, Robert Harris rearranged some
    electrons to say:

    > ianbrn@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I want to install a Web server on a standalone Linux with LinkSys
    >> WRT54GL ADSL router.
    >>
    >> All I need is something simple there - to host one web html page there
    >> with a few links. I want to be able to access that page from the
    >> Internet through some DNS address. This address can be obtained, for
    >> example, by noip.com or dyndns.
    >>
    >> I googled for this and found some hints, but I wish to know from
    >> somebody who has experience with it: is it possible ? Any recommended
    >> links (which work) for such installation?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Ian

    > No problem - just get a free hostname from dyndns.org and configure your
    > router to:
    >
    > 1. route incoming http (port 80) traffic to your web server and 2. keep
    > dyndns.org updated with your IP address
    >
    > Robert

    Specifically, you'll need to go to your router's configuration page
    (point your web browser at the gateway IP address). You'll want to open
    the 'port forwarding' page (on my WRT54G it is called "Applications").
    You'll also want to make sure that you have some security features
    enabled: turn off remote management, and reset the default password.

    You did know that your router *does* come with instructions, didn't you?
    www.linksys.com

    Apache works well as a web server. It takes some configuration, but it is
    very robust.
    http://httpd.apache.org/

  5. Re: Web server on a standalone Linux with LinkSys WRT54GL ADSLrouter

    On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 03:45:01 -0800, ianbrn@gmail.com rearranged some
    electrons to say:

    > Thanks, Robert.
    >
    > It could be that I was not precise in my question.
    >
    > I am not talking about installing a web server on one Linux machine
    > and redirecting http traffic for it from the router. I am talking about
    > installing a web server on the LinkSys WRT54GL router itself, and being
    > able to access that web server with some DNS address ( which I can get
    > from dyndns, for example). This LinkSys WRT54GL router will be a
    > standalone device in the configuration I am talking about,
    > , it has Linux on it, and no other machine is connected to that LinkSys
    > router in that aimed configuration.
    >
    > So in terms of power the consumption is reasonable when thinking on a
    > web server which in fact holds one html file which contains merely some
    > lines of text.
    >
    > Is this possible ? did you aim at such configuration in your answer?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ian
    >

    > On Dec 8, 1:27 pm, Robert Harris
    > wrote:
    >> ian...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> > Hello,

    >> > I want to install a Web server on a standalone Linux with LinkSys
    >> > WRT54GL ADSL router.

    >> > All I need is something simple there - to host one web html page
    >> > there with a few links. I want to be able to access that page from
    >> > the Internet through some DNS address. This address can be obtained,
    >> > for example, by noip.com or dyndns.

    >> > I googled for this and found some hints, but I wish to know from
    >> > somebody who has experience with it: is it possible ? Any recommended
    >> > links (which work) for such installation?

    >> > Regards,
    >> > Ian

    >> No problem - just get a free hostname from dyndns.org and configure
    >> your router to:
    >>
    >> 1. route incoming http (port 80) traffic to your web server and 2. keep
    >> dyndns.org updated with your IP address
    >>
    >> Robert

    There are lots of open-source packages for this hardware:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G#...mware_projects

  6. Re: Web server on a standalone Linux with LinkSys WRT54GL ADSL router

    david wrote:

    > Apache works well as a web server. It takes some configuration, but it is
    > very robust.
    > http://httpd.apache.org/

    For a small website thttpd and micro_httpd are both good.

    I like chttpd. It is very small and compact and fast, and ideal for an
    embedded device. Unfortunately it contains a bug which causes images not to
    display if the trailing slash is missing from the address. (This probably only
    requires a couple of lines of code to be changed or added. An experienced C
    programmer would probably be able to fix this in a few minutes.)

    http://markhobley.yi.org:8000/chttpdSlashBug

    If you don't want to fix it, then thttpd is a good stand alone server. The
    micro_httpd daemon runs via the internet superserver daemon.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  7. Re: Web server on a standalone Linux with LinkSys WRT54GL ADSL router

    On 2007-12-08, ianbrn@gmail.com wrote:

    > I want to install a Web server on a standalone Linux with LinkSys
    > WRT54GL ADSL router.
    >
    > All I need is something simple there - to host one web html page there
    > with a few links.

    If you aren't already, I'd suggest looking at OpenWRT, which replaces
    the default firmware on the GL. It comes with an extensive packaging
    system, from which you can install one of quite a few small web servers
    (IIRC the ones mentioned, thttpd and micro_httpd, as well as lighttpd).

    I have not configured my 54GL for public web serving, but I have
    installed lighttpd with SSL support on it for the OpenWRT web interface,
    and their docs are relatively straightforward (they're on the OpenWRT
    wiki).

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  8. Re: Web server on a standalone Linux with LinkSys WRT54GL ADSLrouter

    On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 00:45:11 -0800, ianbrn@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to install a Web server on a standalone Linux with LinkSys
    > WRT54GL ADSL router.
    >
    > All I need is something simple there - to host one web html page there
    > with a few links. I want to be able to access that page from the
    > Internet through some DNS address. This address can be obtained, for
    > example, by noip.com or dyndns.
    >
    > I googled for this and found some hints, but I wish to know from
    > somebody who has experience with it: is it possible ?
    > Any recommended links (which work) for such installation?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ian

    You can do it with Tomato 3rd party firmware. I think there is even a
    howto in the docs.

    http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

    I am running the firmware on my 54GL at the moment.

    ItsNewToYou

  9. Re: Web server on a standalone Linux with LinkSys WRT54GL ADSL router

    Hello,
    Thanks to all who answered.
    I had looked in:
    http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato
    and could not find a HowTo;
    I would like to sharpen my question:
    is there a way to set an extenal IP on the LinkSys router ?

    I want to be able to do so, so that it will start with this IP when
    the
    LinkSys router is restarted as a **standalone**, and also when
    it has a desktop connected to it for accessing the net.

    And , if anybody has any experience with setting a website on
    such LinkSys 54GL router it would be great if he will share it with
    us.

    Regards,
    Ian

    On Dec 11, 9:26 pm, itsnewtoyou wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 00:45:11 -0800, ian...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > > I want to install a Web server on a standalone Linux with LinkSys
    > > WRT54GL ADSL router.

    > > All I need is something simple there - to host one web html page there
    > > with a few links. I want to be able to access that page from the
    > > Internet through some DNS address. This address can be obtained, for
    > > example, by noip.com or dyndns.

    > > I googled for this and found some hints, but I wish to know from
    > > somebody who has experience with it: is it possible ?
    > > Any recommended links (which work) for such installation?

    > > Regards,
    > > Ian

    > You can do it with Tomato 3rd party firmware. I think there is even a
    > howto in the docs.
    >
    > http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato
    >
    > I am running the firmware on my 54GL at the moment.
    >
    > ItsNewToYou

+ Reply to Thread