DNS & DHCP hardware sizing - Networking

This is a discussion on DNS & DHCP hardware sizing - Networking ; Where can I find information on choosing appropriate hardware power to run servers for ~200 users? I imagine that a DNS/DHCP server for this network could run on very humble hardware, but I'd like to find out before actually trying ...

  1. DNS & DHCP hardware sizing

    Where can I find information on choosing appropriate hardware power to
    run servers for ~200 users? I imagine that a DNS/DHCP server for this
    network could run on very humble hardware, but I'd like to find out
    before actually trying it.

  2. Re: DNS & DHCP hardware sizing

    Rick Onanian wrote:
    > Where can I find information on choosing appropriate hardware power to
    > run servers for ~200 users? I imagine that a DNS/DHCP server for this
    > network could run on very humble hardware, but I'd like to find out
    > before actually trying it.

    Are you talking specifically about a DNS/DHCP server for internal use? If
    so, a 233 MHz PC class system could do this without even trying. My advice
    is that you get two "really cheap" systems, use one as the live system
    and the other as a warm fail-over. Synchronise the DNS/DHCP databases
    frequently (each time they change) from the live to the fail-over,
    remembering to keep a backup of the previous one as you copy across.

    Chris

  3. Re: DNS & DHCP hardware sizing

    > Where can I find information on choosing appropriate hardware power to
    > run servers for ~200 users? I imagine that a DNS/DHCP server for this
    > network could run on very humble hardware, but I'd like to find out
    > before actually trying it.

    I think you'd have a hard time finding a machine that is equipped with
    an ethernet card yet is not powerful enough. The DHCP server is really
    a no brainer. The DNS server might require a tiny bit more oomph if
    your clients do funny things. If you want to find out I suggest you
    start with a $40 home router.

    Stefan

  4. Re: DNS & DHCP hardware sizing

    On Dec 10, 10:43 pm, Stefan Monnier wrote:
    > I think you'd have a hard time finding a machine that is equipped with
    > an ethernet card yet is not powerful enough. The DHCP server is really

    Thank you both. You've confirmed what I thought was true.

+ Reply to Thread