measure time on internet ..?? - Networking

This is a discussion on measure time on internet ..?? - Networking ; in company I work for, management would like to implemet sysmem that would measure time spend on interner per employee .. in company we have intranet and CRM which are web applications so only time spend visiting "outside" web sites ...

  1. measure time on internet ..??

    in company I work for, management would like to implemet sysmem that
    would measure time spend on interner per employee .. in company we have
    intranet and CRM which are web applications so only time spend visiting
    "outside" web sites should be measured ..
    I believe that MS ISA Server can do that but we are looking for another
    solution ..

    Any Idea ..
    THX in advance

  2. Re: measure time on internet ..??

    Mr. X wrote:
    > in company I work for, management would like to implemet sysmem that
    > would measure time spend on interner per employee .. in company we have
    > intranet and CRM which are web applications so only time spend visiting
    > "outside" web sites should be measured ..

    It's very hard to do this well.

    Consider: you grab a page from a site. You spend one hour reading it
    (there's a lot of text) and then click on a link it provides to a
    different site. You start reading that new page.

    Now consider: you grab a page from a site. You spend 5 seconds glancing
    at it and then get back to your "real" work. An hour later you go to
    another site and spend another 5 seconds skimming the resulting page.

    Finally, consider: you download a page from a site. You spend 5 seconds
    glancing at it and then get back to your "real" work. An hour later you go
    to another site and spend another 5 seconds skimming the resulting page.
    What you haven't realised is that while the first page was open, it
    was using a javascript applet to update information on the page every
    few seconds.

    In each case, how long have you spent "on the Internet", and how does
    a machine determine the difference?

    Chris

  3. Re: measure time on internet ..??

    In article ,
    Chris Davies writes:
    > Mr. X wrote:
    >> in company I work for, management would like to implemet sysmem that
    >> would measure time spend on interner per employee .. in company we have
    >> intranet and CRM which are web applications so only time spend visiting
    >> "outside" web sites should be measured ..

    > It's very hard to do this well.

    Exactly. You explain the practical reasons, though I like to state it a
    little more facetiously when asked how much time I spend on the
    Internet. I don't spend any time on the Internet, it's my computer which
    does, and it's connected 24 hours a day.

    --
    Tim Clark

  4. Re: measure time on internet ..??

    Tim Clark wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Chris Davies writes:
    >> Mr. X wrote:
    >>> in company I work for, management would like to implemet sysmem that
    >>> would measure time spend on interner per employee .. in company we have
    >>> intranet and CRM which are web applications so only time spend visiting
    >>> "outside" web sites should be measured ..

    >> It's very hard to do this well.

    > Exactly. You explain the practical reasons, though I like to state it a
    > little more facetiously when asked how much time I spend on the
    > Internet. I don't spend any time on the Internet, it's my computer which
    > does, and it's connected 24 hours a day.

    You are both right .. but management is stupid and thay dont take "no"
    as an answer .. so YES .. they want to see how long time people spend
    visiting external sites ... no matter if they actually surfing or they
    only have their browsers open ..

  5. Re: measure time on internet ..??

    Mr. X wrote:

    > in company I work for, management would like to implemet sysmem that
    > would measure time spend on interner per employee .. in company we have
    > intranet and CRM which are web applications so only time spend visiting
    > "outside" web sites should be measured ..
    > I believe that MS ISA Server can do that but we are looking for another
    > solution ..

    It is not possible the way your bosses want to. Accessing a website is
    a "one-shot" get-request, followed by some time reading it, then clicking
    another link issuing another get - from the same page or another.
    One can have a webpage open the whole day, in background, for the occasional
    look, and still do work most of the time.
    What would be possible is to count outside page hits, or transferred volume
    per user, from the proxy. But then, there are pages doing auto-refresh
    scripts every other second, even when the page just sits in the background.
    Linux 2.6.22.9-1mdvcustom [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

  6. Re: measure time on internet ..??

    Mr. X wrote:
    > You are both right .. but management is stupid and thay dont take "no"
    > as an answer .. so YES .. they want to see how long time people spend
    > visiting external sites ... no matter if they actually surfing or they
    > only have their browsers open ..

    The only way to achieve that requirement is to install an applet on
    every workstation that measures the time for which the user's browser
    is running.

    I think you need to have the requirements defined more precisely, or else
    be prepared to say that you can measure something different...

    Once example might be to measure the total time a user is downloading web
    pages (and other items via HTTP) from the first item to the last, such
    that the timer is stopped whenever the interval between items exceeds,
    say, 10 minutes.

    Example:

    Time Object Cumulative duration
    ---------- ------------------------------ ----------------------
    10:00:00 http://blah.../blah.html (timer starts)
    10:00:01 http://blah.../image1.jpg 00:00:01
    10:00:02 http://blah.../image2.jpg 00:00:02
    10:01:40 http://yadda.../yadda.html 00:01:40

    No further activity (for now) so the timer stops

    10:38:01 http://another.../ (timer continues)
    10:38:02 http://another.../image.png 00:01:41

    Total duration is 00:01:41, in two periods

    Assuming you've got some way of tieing log entries to specific users,
    I should imagine.a perl script could parse a squid cache log and provide
    this sort of report fairly easily.

    Chris

  7. Re: measure time on internet ..??

    On Dec 8, 6:05 am, "Mr. X" wrote:

    > You are both right .. but management is stupid and thay dont take "no"
    > as an answer .. so YES .. they want to see how long time people spend
    > visiting external sites ... no matter if they actually surfing or they
    > only have their browsers open ..

    Suppose I save a PDF file that I downloaded, close my browser, and
    then read it for the next hour. This is a very common usage pattern
    for me.

    This is a question that is typical of a particular category of
    questions. Other examples:

    How can I tell how much free memory I have on my Linux machine?

    How can I my program tell if the computer it's running on has an
    Internet connection?

    The answer is always the same -- define very precisely what it is you
    want to measure, so that questions like "does X count" have a clear
    answer. Then you can at least ask the right question, which is the
    first step to getting the right answer.

    DS

  8. Re: measure time on internet ..??

    David Schwartz wrote:
    > On Dec 8, 6:05 am, "Mr. X" wrote:
    >
    >> You are both right .. but management is stupid and thay dont take "no"
    >> as an answer .. so YES .. they want to see how long time people spend
    >> visiting external sites ... no matter if they actually surfing or they
    >> only have their browsers open ..

    My browser is running 24x7 whether I'm using it or not. So measuring
    browser run time wouldn't be an accurate gauge. But what might be
    reasonably accurate would be to measure how long the browser window
    has focus. That leaves out documents that invoke an external reader.
    And of course sneaky people that found out the scheme could defocus
    the browser while reading. More sophisticated log analysis could spot
    that reasonably well though.

+ Reply to Thread