Network server with 0 configuration - Networking

This is a discussion on Network server with 0 configuration - Networking ; Hi, I've been looking around for this and still couldn't find any solution to my *problem*. What's this? The thing i need to do is to set up a Linux server that will act as a router. That's easy, i ...

  1. Network server with 0 configuration

    Hi,

    I've been looking around for this and still couldn't find any solution
    to my *problem*.
    What's this?
    The thing i need to do is to set up a Linux server that will act as a
    router.
    That's easy, i know, the tricky part - at least for me - is that it
    needs to be open for any internal connection without needing any
    config change in the client's computer.
    Been it a static ip, dhcp or anything, the server should be able to
    "catch" any of those configurations and give internet access to the
    client computer.

    I've seen this working in commercial solutions, but couldn't find
    anything in the Linux world.

    Any idea?

  2. Re: Network server with 0 configuration

    On Dec 6, 1:28 am, Javier wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been looking around for this and still couldn't find any solution
    > to my *problem*.
    > What's this?
    > The thing i need to do is to set up a Linux server that will act as a
    > router.
    > That's easy, i know, the tricky part - at least for me - is that it
    > needs to be open for any internal connection without needing any
    > config change in the client's computer.
    > Been it a static ip, dhcp or anything, the server should be able to
    > "catch" any of those configurations and give internet access to the
    > client computer.
    >
    > I've seen this working in commercial solutions, but couldn't find
    > anything in the Linux world.
    >
    > Any idea?

    I use ipcop and one of the networks is my testing/lab network. All I
    have ever done is plug the systems in and tada the internet. but they
    have to be setup for dhcp

  3. Re: Network server with 0 configuration

    On Dec 6, 1:28 am, Javier wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've been looking around for this and still couldn't find any solution
    > to my *problem*.
    > What's this?
    > The thing i need to do is to set up a Linux server that will act as a
    > router.
    > That's easy, i know, the tricky part - at least for me - is that it
    > needs to be open for any internal connection without needing any
    > config change in the client's computer.
    > Been it a static ip, dhcp or anything, the server should be able to
    > "catch" any of those configurations and give internet access to the
    > client computer.
    >
    > I've seen this working in commercial solutions, but couldn't find
    > anything in the Linux world.
    >
    > Any idea?

    What is your internal network? Can you distinguish between "client"
    computers and "external" ones by ip (range)? Since you have it set up
    as a router, I am assuming this is possible. You should be able to
    set up iptables, with NAT if necessary to do what you are looking for.

  4. Re: Network server with 0 configuration

    On Dec 7, 12:24 pm, sumit...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Dec 6, 1:28 am, Javier wrote:
    >

    > > Hi,

    > > I've been looking around for this and still couldn't find any solution
    > > to my *problem*.
    > > What's this?
    > > The thing i need to do is to set up a Linux server that will act as a
    > > router.
    > > That's easy, i know, the tricky part - at least for me - is that it
    > > needs to be open for any internal connection without needing any
    > > config change in the client's computer.
    > > Been it a static ip, dhcp or anything, the server should be able to
    > > "catch" any of those configurations and give internet access to the
    > > client computer.

    > > I've seen this working in commercial solutions, but couldn't find
    > > anything in the Linux world.

    > > Any idea?

    > What is your internal network? Can you distinguish between "client"
    > computers and "external" ones by ip (range)? Since you have it set up
    > as a router, I am assuming this is possible. You should be able to
    > set up iptables, with NAT if necessary to do what you are looking for.

    yes I have MY lan which is set up as static ip's and the LAB lan which
    is DHCP.

  5. Re: Network server with 0 configuration

    On Dec 8, 9:25 am, Justice wrote:
    > On Dec 7, 12:24 pm, sumit...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > On Dec 6, 1:28 am, Javier wrote:

    > > > Hi,

    > > > I've been looking around for this and still couldn't find any solution
    > > > to my *problem*.
    > > > What's this?
    > > > The thing i need to do is to set up a Linux server that will act as a
    > > > router.
    > > > That's easy, i know, the tricky part - at least for me - is that it
    > > > needs to be open for any internal connection without needing any
    > > > config change in the client's computer.
    > > > Been it a static ip, dhcp or anything, the server should be able to
    > > > "catch" any of those configurations and give internet access to the
    > > > client computer.

    > > > I've seen this working in commercial solutions, but couldn't find
    > > > anything in the Linux world.

    > > > Any idea?

    > > What is your internal network? Can you distinguish between "client"
    > > computers and "external" ones by ip (range)? Since you have it set up
    > > as a router, I am assuming this is possible. You should be able to
    > > set up iptables, with NAT if necessary to do what you are looking for.

    > yes I have MY lan which is set up as static ip's and the LAB lan which
    > is DHCP.

    So the lab LAN and the servers with static IP are all behind the linux
    router and you want to access the Internet through that box? If so,
    you need to set up NAT on the linux router, with the IP ranges. Look
    into "man iptables".

  6. Re: Network server with 0 configuration

    On Dec 10, 10:00 am, sumit...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Dec 8, 9:25 am, Justice wrote:

    > > > What is your internal network? Can you distinguish between "client"
    > > > computers and "external" ones by ip (range)? Since you have it set up
    > > > as a router, I am assuming this is possible. You should be able to
    > > > set up iptables, with NAT if necessary to do what you are looking for.

    > > yes I have MY lan which is set up as static ip's and the LAB lan which
    > > is DHCP.

    > So the lab LAN and the servers with static IP are all behind the linux
    > router and you want to access the Internet through that box? If so,
    > you need to set up NAT on the linux router, with the IP ranges. Look
    > into "man iptables".

    Thats right they all run NAT, as all most of the outside world sees is
    the router

+ Reply to Thread