    them show lines like:
    Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 10:05:46 -0800 (PST)
    But my brother is in Panama and when he writes through yahoo, it is the
    same thing and Panama sure is not -8 Hrs, Pacific Standard Time.

    Is there anyway to track the origin of a hotmail or yahoomail email through
    the headers or can it not be done? I am sorry to ask this question in this
    group, please direct me to the appropriate newsgroup if I am off base here.
    Thank you for your time.

    --
    ~Ohmster | ohmster /a/t/ ohmster dot com
    Put "messageforohmster" in message body

  2. Re: How to ID origin in email headers?

    Ohmster writes:

    > I am sure this may be the wrong place for this question

    Yes...

    > but you guys know a
    > lot about header information so could someone please direct me to the
    > appropriate newsgroup to ask this question in?
    >
    > Is there anyway to track the origin of a hotmail or yahoomail email through
    > the headers or can it not be done?

    Other than the very first Received: line, you cannot really trust
    anything else. The header *MIGHT* contain something like
    "X-Original-IP" or similar, but even that cannot be trusted.

    Vilmos

  3. Re: How to ID origin in email headers?

    On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    article , Ohmster wrote:

    >I can find no way in the hotmail or yahoo mail to trace the origin of such
    >emails.

    I haven't accepted mail from either domain in several years, but then they
    did include a set of "Received:" headers that were realistic. I'm not
    sure these two sites are valid, but check

    http://www.codecutters.org/spam/smtpheaders.html
    http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers.html

    which explain them. Else, read RFC2821 (or the older RFC0821) which are the
    specs for SMTP.

    >I had thought that the Date line would give it away as the both of
    >them show lines like:
    >Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 10:05:46 -0800 (PST)

    Probably because the two domains are both in the Pacific time zone
    (California and Washington state).

    >Is there anyway to track the origin of a hotmail or yahoomail email through
    >the headers or can it not be done? I am sorry to ask this question in this
    >group, please direct me to the appropriate newsgroup if I am off base here.
    >Thank you for your time.

    Looking up the IP addresses may give clues. Start with
    http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space which tells you the
    RIR to look at. You mention the UK, and they've got a shedload of blocks
    (3236 from ARIN, APNIC and RIPE). Benin only has 3 allocations (all from
    AFRINIC):

    [compton ~]$ zgrep -h BJ IP.ADDR/stats/[ALR]*
    BJ 41.223.248.0 255.255.252.0 allocated af
    BJ 81.91.224.0 255.255.240.0 allocated af
    BJ 196.46.152.0 255.255.252.0 allocated af
    [compton ~]$

    but the person there could be using a satellite link to another country.
    IP address-to-country mapping is notoriously inaccurate.

    Old guy

  4. Re: How to ID origin in email headers?

    On Dec 4, 9:38 pm, ibupro...@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) wrote:
    > On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    >
    > article , Ohmster wrote:
    > >I can find no way in the hotmail or yahoo mail to trace the origin of such
    > >emails.

    > I haven't accepted mail from either domain in several years, but then they
    > did include a set of "Received:" headers that were realistic. I'm not
    > sure these two sites are valid, but check
    >
    > http://www.codecutters.org/spam/smtpheaders.html
    > http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers.html
    >
    > which explain them. Else, read RFC2821 (or the older RFC0821) which are the
    > specs for SMTP.
    >
    > >I had thought that the Date line would give it away as the both of
    > >them show lines like:
    > >Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 10:05:46 -0800 (PST)

    > Probably because the two domains are both in the Pacific time zone
    > (California and Washington state).
    >
    > >Is there anyway to track the origin of a hotmail or yahoomail email through
    > >the headers or can it not be done? I am sorry to ask this question in this
    > >group, please direct me to the appropriate newsgroup if I am off base here.
    > >Thank you for your time.

    > Looking up the IP addresses may give clues. Start withhttp://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space which tells you the
    > RIR to look at. You mention the UK, and they've got a shedload of blocks
    > (3236 from ARIN, APNIC and RIPE). Benin only has 3 allocations (all from
    > AFRINIC):
    >
    > [compton ~]$ zgrep -h BJ IP.ADDR/stats/[ALR]*
    > BJ 41.223.248.0 255.255.252.0 allocated af
    > BJ 81.91.224.0 255.255.240.0 allocated af
    > BJ 196.46.152.0 255.255.252.0 allocated af
    > [compton ~]$
    >
    > but the person there could be using a satellite link to another country.
    > IP address-to-country mapping is notoriously inaccurate.
    >
    > Old guy

    I have to reply with google groups, for some reason, my server will
    not accept this post. Says posting, done, waiting on confirmation
    forever and it never goes up to Usenet.

    ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) wrote in

    > On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking,
    > in article , Ohmster wrote:
    >
    >>I can find no way in the hotmail or yahoo mail to trace the origin of
    >>such emails.

    > I haven't accepted mail from either domain in several years, but then
    > they did include a set of "Received:" headers that were realistic. I'm
    > not sure these two sites are valid, but check
    >
    > http://www.codecutters.org/spam/smtpheaders.html
    > http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers.html

    The codecutters site does not come up but stopspam does. Thanks Moe.

    > which explain them. Else, read RFC2821 (or the older RFC0821) which
    > are the specs for SMTP.
    >
    >>I had thought that the Date line would give it away as the both of
    >>them show lines like:
    >>Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 10:05:46 -0800 (PST)

    > Probably because the two domains are both in the Pacific time zone
    > (California and Washington state).

    I am sure I was incorrect about that assumption.

    >>Is there anyway to track the origin of a hotmail or yahoomail email
    >>through the headers or can it not be done? I am sorry to ask this
    >>question in this group, please direct me to the appropriate newsgroup
    >>if I am off base here. Thank you for your time.

    > Looking up the IP addresses may give clues. Start with
    > http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space which tells you
    > the RIR to look at. You mention the UK, and they've got a shedload of
    > blocks (3236 from ARIN, APNIC and RIPE). Benin only has 3 allocations
    > (all from AFRINIC):

    Will do.

    > [compton ~]$ zgrep -h BJ IP.ADDR/stats/[ALR]*
    > BJ 41.223.248.0 255.255.252.0 allocated af
    > BJ 81.91.224.0 255.255.240.0 allocated af
    > BJ 196.46.152.0 255.255.252.0 allocated af
    > [compton ~]$
    >
    > but the person there could be using a satellite link to another
    > country. IP address-to-country mapping is notoriously inaccurate.
    >
    > Old guy

    The headers are too long to paste into a post, they wrap terribly and
    the servers won't accept them if they are badly wrapped. Here are the
    headers for you to see:
    http://www.ohmster.com/~ohmster/email/

    I tried checking them with this email checker and it appears both
    originate in Nigeria.
    http://www.ip2location.com/emailtracer.aspx

    What do you think, do you believe it Old Guy?
    --
    ~Ohmster | ohmster /a/t/ ohmster dot com
    Put "messageforohmster" in message body
    (That is Message Body, not Subject!)
    to pass my spam filter.

  5. Re: How to ID origin in email headers?

    On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    article <8859813b-18b2-4cff-b9d0-7d81bf9f8c93@s36g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
    Ohmster wrote:

    >I have to reply with google groups, for some reason, my server will
    >not accept this post. Says posting, done, waiting on confirmation
    >forever and it never goes up to Usenet.

    I don't see it here either. Lessee, you were unhappy with the comcast
    (giganews) server for some reason.

    >> http://www.codecutters.org/spam/smtpheaders.html
    >> http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers.html

    >The codecutters site does not come up but stopspam does. Thanks Moe.

    OK - I'll strike them off the list.

    >> IP address-to-country mapping is notoriously inaccurate.

    >The headers are too long to paste into a post, they wrap terribly and
    >the servers won't accept them if they are badly wrapped. Here are the
    >headers for you to see:
    >http://www.ohmster.com/~ohmster/email/

    I also saw the post in comp.mail.sendmail

    >I tried checking them with this email checker and it appears both
    >originate in Nigeria.
    >http://www.ip2location.com/emailtracer.aspx

    As noted above - "IP address-to-country mapping is notoriously inaccurate"

    Looking at the ~ohmster/email web page you listed, here's a quick one

    You asked about that in comp.mail.sendmail - something weird put on there
    by comcast. OK

    by IMTA22.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net

    Comcast claims to have received it from 'Yahoo! Europe'

    Dec 2007 10:39:10 -0000

    Seems to be bouncing around yahoo servers - I see no obvious reason to
    disbelieve this, but "do you trust yahoo?".

    Wed, 05 Dec 2007 02:39:10 PST

    Yahoo claims to have received this (and the timestamps don't look
    completely unreasonable) from IP space owned by Netcom Africa Ltd in
    Lagos, and netcomng.com says that the IP is part of a /30 (4 addresses)
    that has been sub-assigned to Skye Communications Surulere Lagos. If
    you google for the first three words, you hit

    Web Results 1 - 10 of about 138 for Skye Communications Surulere.
    (0.31 seconds)

    Your call.

    ]This is supposed to come from the Benin Republic, that is in Africa, off
    the coast of Nigeria.

    No, Benin is the next country to the West of Nigeria - formerly called
    Dahomey. It has a coastline of about 60-70 miles, and I'm not aware of
    any significant islands off it's coast.

    No clue, but context suggests google internal servers. Your call.

    (n8.bullet.mail.tp2.yahoo.com [203.188.202.89])
    by mx.google.com with SMTP id j6si1937378wah.2007.12.03.11.25.26;
    Mon, 03 Dec 2007 11:25:35 -0800 (PST)

    Those two match up to yahoo blocks in Taiwan.

    As above. I'm GUESSING that the 216.252 and 69.147 are not in Sunnyvale
    where 'whois' identifies them, as that is about 11000 feet as the crow
    flies from google in Mountain View, and there wouldn't be a very good
    reason to route the packets half way around the world instead of just
    following the perimeter fence around Moffett Field.

    Mon, 03 Dec 2007 11:25:17 PST

    41.223.24.0/22 is a block allocated to "Best Communications Ltd" in
    Lagos, Nigeria. Hitting google again, I see

    Web Results 1 - 10 of about 406 for "Best Communications Ltd". (0.29
    seconds)

    Your call.

    Comment: I don't know Lagos that well (haven't been there since the mid
    1970s) but this doesn't smell ANYTHING like freshly caught seafood.

    Old guy

  6. Re: How to ID origin in email headers?

    Ohmster wrote in

    > Same ****, cannot even post to comcast now, posted, waiting on
    > confirmation, it does not come. Switching to slrn with Comcast to see if
    > I get better results. Don't want to rewrite the entire follow-up, will
    > try to past response in here and see if it works. Wish me luck.
    > (Eventually Xnews just hung on the post with the word "Stopped")

    [..]
    > Now slrn/Comcast does not like my signature, wants it kept to 4 lines
    > which it is. ...sigh. Using vim and slrn and I can pull in a sig with the

    command
    >:r ~/sig (symlinked to .sigature) Always worked before.

    Yeah, it worked. Jesus, I cannot even post with Xnews anymore. It has
    gotten corrupted, I cannot save config changes anymore, have to edit the
    ini file directly and now this. Time to dump Xnews and redo from scratch
    and I had it setup so good too with a beautiful score file.

    Trying one more time, posting with Xnews and Comcast.
    --
    ~Ohmster | ohmster /a/t/ ohmster dot com
    Put "messageforohmster" in message body
    (That is Message Body, not Subject!)
    to pass my spam filter.

  7. Re: How to ID origin in email headers?

    Ohmster wrote in

    >> Same ****, cannot even post to comcast now, posted, waiting on
    >> confirmation, it does not come. Switching to slrn with Comcast to see
    >> if I get better results. Don't want to rewrite the entire follow-up,
    >> will try to past response in here and see if it works. Wish me luck.
    >> (Eventually Xnews just hung on the post with the word "Stopped")

    > [..]
    >> Now slrn/Comcast does not like my signature, wants it kept to 4 lines
    >> which it is. ...sigh. Using vim and slrn and I can pull in a sig with
    >> the

    > command
    >>:r ~/sig (symlinked to .sigature) Always worked before.

    > Yeah, it worked. Jesus, I cannot even post with Xnews anymore. It has
    > gotten corrupted, I cannot save config changes anymore, have to edit
    > the ini file directly and now this. Time to dump Xnews and redo from
    > scratch and I had it setup so good too with a beautiful score file.
    >

    > Trying one more time, posting with Xnews and Comcast.

    It posted just fine, not sure if it is the server or just trying to post
    large articles. Go figure.
    Thanks Moe.

    --
    ~Ohmster | ohmster /a/t/ ohmster dot com
    Put "messageforohmster" in message body
    (That is Message Body, not Subject!)
    to pass my spam filter.

  8. Re: How to ID origin in email headers?

    On 2007-12-04, Vilmos Soti wrote:
    > Ohmster writes:

    >> I am sure this may be the wrong place for this question

    > Yes...

    True.

    >> but you guys know a
    >> lot about header information so could someone please direct me to the
    >> appropriate newsgroup to ask this question in?
    >>
    >> Is there anyway to track the origin of a hotmail or yahoomail email
    >> through the headers or can it not be done?

    > Other than the very first Received: line, you cannot really trust
    > anything else. The header *MIGHT* contain something like
    > "X-Original-IP" or similar, but even that cannot be trusted.
    >
    > Vilmos

    Agreed, but I did find an online email location checker that seems to be
    dead on accurate every time, even with hotmail and yahoo. You try it and
    see if you think it works or not. I am pleased beyond belief but you
    guys know a *lot* more than I do and I would appreciate your evaluation
    on this email tracer page as I intend to put it into my network toolbox
    if it meets all of your approvals.
    http://www.ip2location.com/emailtracer.aspx

    --
    ~Ohmster | ohmster /a/t/ ohmster dot com
    Put "messageforohmster" in message body
    (That is MESSAGE BODY, not Subject!)
    to pass my spam filter.

  9. Re: How to ID origin in email headers?

    In news:490ec32e-df79-4da6-8cf0-918df56df26b@w40g2000hsb.googlegroups.com,
    Ohmster wrote:

    > Again I gotta post with google groups. What is wrong with my NNTP
    > server?!

    In general, or alphabetical order?

  10. Re: How to ID origin in email headers?

    On 2007-12-08, Charles wrote:
    > In news:490ec32e-df79-4da6-8cf0-918df56df26b@w40g2000hsb.googlegroups.com,
    > Ohmster wrote:
    >
    >> Again I gotta post with google groups. What is wrong with my NNTP
    >> server?!

    > In general, or alphabetical order?

    I don't care, I just want for it to work!

    ~Ohmster | ohmster /a/t/ ohmster dot com
    Put "messageforohmster" in message body
    (That is MESSAGE BODY, not Subject!)
    to pass my spam filter.

  11. Re: How to ID origin in email headers?

    On 2007-12-09, Ohmster wrote:
    > ibuprofin@painkiller.example.tld (Moe Trin) wrote in
    >
    >> On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking,
    >> in article
    >> <490ec32e-df79-4da6-8cf0-918df56df26b@w40g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
    >> Ohmster wrote:
    >>
    >>> (Moe Trin) wrote

    >>>Again I gotta post with google groups. What is wrong with my NNTP
    >>>server?!

    >> You'd have to look at the errors - we can't see them from here. I
    >> can't recall what distribution you are using (though I thought
    >> Xnews was windoze only), but for slrn in an rpm based distro, try

    > I use Xnews primarily because the doze XP box has a bigger monitor
    > (Gaming and all that). Errors are
    >
    > 1 Posting
    > 2 Done
    > 3 Waiting on confirmation, sits forever like that, then goes to
    > 4 Stopped.
    >
    > I have Xnews running on wine in Fedora 6 but mostly use Xnews doze or
    > slrn through an ssh putty term with ANSI colors and vim. When I try to
    > post a long one with lots of quotes, Xnews warns if I want to fix them,
    > they are email headers, I say no, then erros 1-4. I give up and try with
    > slrm and when posting time, I get rejected by the server, lines 237-156
    > are too long, fix them or some **** and it also says my sig must be 4
    > lines or less and it is, but I think the copy and paste puts an extra
    > blank line under the sig.
    >
    > Now gq which always works in slrn vim, does not touch those mail
    > headers, and they do not wrap. Strange.
    >

    >> Old guy
    >>

    > Too much I tell ya. Thanks for your help, your insight, and of course,
    > your humor Old Guy.
    >
    > Now, can I post with Xnews, slrn, or am I stuck with google groups
    > again. ...sigh. Nope, quoted text excedes 60% lines, do you want to edit
    > it? NO. Let's try slrn.

    Look at that man, I got rid of the extra space under my sig in slrn and
    it posted just fine to the very same comcast server. Oh crap, I got two
    sig delimiters. Gotta watch for that in copying and pasting. Lemme get
    rid of it...

    xx

    Gone. I have not done a "fresh install" of Xnews in a while, just kept
    overwriting the exe file to get it up to date, everything else is years
    old and maybe stale, I do have score files that I do want to keep. Maybe
    I will do a paralelle new install and then pluck stuff over a little at
    a time to see if the prgram is shot or not. I use Xnews all the time
    thogh and will see if I can fix it.

    --
    ~Ohmster | ohmster /a/t/ ohmster dot com
    Put "messageforohmster" in message body
    (That is MESSAGE BODY, not Subject!)
    to pass my spam filter.

  12. Re: How to ID origin in email headers?

    On Sun, 09 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    article , Ohmster wrote:

    >(Moe Trin) wrote

    >> You'd have to look at the errors - we can't see them from here. I
    >> can't recall what distribution you are using (though I thought
    >> Xnews was windoze only), but for slrn in an rpm based distro, try

    >I use Xnews primarily because the doze XP box has a bigger monitor
    >(Gaming and all that).

    Ah, don't have any doze boxes, and because I'm using the computers
    in work 9+ hours a weekday (and up to 5 hours on weekends), gaming
    is not even on the horizon.

    >Errors are
    >
    >1 Posting
    >2 Done
    >3 Waiting on confirmation, sits forever like that, then goes to
    >4 Stopped.

    You might try the 'news.software.readers' group.

    >I have Xnews running on wine in Fedora 6 but mostly use Xnews doze or
    >slrn through an ssh putty term with ANSI colors and vim. When I try to
    >post a long one with lots of quotes, Xnews warns if I want to fix them,
    >they are email headers, I say no, then erros 1-4. I give up and try with
    >slrm and when posting time, I get rejected by the server, lines 237-156
    >are too long, fix them or some **** and it also says my sig must be 4
    >lines or less and it is, but I think the copy and paste puts an extra
    >blank line under the sig.

    As mentioned, I don't use Xnews - as for slrn, there is an auto wrap
    setting, but I think it pertains to displaying the article. I normally
    do reply/posting editing in a separate session via cut-and-paste, and
    have gotten into the habit of manually wrapping lines at ~74 characters.
    I think you're right about the extra blank line (it seems to be an
    editor function) - I trim that when posting. Ah, just noted this in
    the slrn manual:

    3.4.64. reject_long_lines

    Type: integer
    Default: 1

    If set to 1, slrn will not allow you to post articles containing non-
    quoted lines which are longer than 80 characters. If you set it to 2,
    slrn will merely issue a warning that you can decide to ignore (e.g.
    when posting source code). Setting this variable to 0 turns the check
    off. Please note that long lines are generally considered bad
    netiquette.

    >> Watermark paper and all? Virtually every check I've seen in the past
    >> few years has several pretty obvious security features. And there
    >> are not _that_ many companies producing checks for banks and
    >> businesses.

    >Yeah, watermark paper and all, these looked pretty real.

    Any indication of which check supplier?

    >>>what kind of an idiot does she think I am?!

    >> Oh, the standard "run of the mill" variety. Honestly, there are
    >> quite a number of idiots out there who would comply.

    >Makes you wonder just how many vilages out there have lost their
    >idiots.

    It's not as bad as it seems - the Village Idiot Producers Association
    has gone through all kinds of work to increase the number available.
    There is an incredible demand in the television broadcast industry.

    >> Doesn't the local visitors bureau handle this any more?

    >No, either craigslist or myspace classified for free or pay big
    >buck (hundreds) for a 3 line ad in the paper for a week.

    I haven't used newspaper ads in years, but you made me look. The
    prices here vary from $12 - 25 words to $30 - 3 lines (depending
    on the paper), but there seem to be a lot of "free" classified ad
    sites on-line (run but the same papers as well as local radio and
    TV stations).

    >>>Also i would like to know the nearest airport to the house .

    >> Why that would be Pompano Beach, or Boca Raton of course.

    >Actually it would be MIA.

    If you wanted her to arrive internationally. Last I looked, FTL had
    moderate service as well. But "she" was asking about airports - and
    both BCT (Boca Raton Public) and PMP (Pompano Beach) are that. Might
    be a little tight for your B-737 - in which case you could try FXE
    (Fort Liquordale Executive) which is as long as Chicago Midway.

    >Now, can I post with Xnews, slrn, or am I stuck with google groups
    >again. ...sigh. Nope, quoted text excedes 60% lines, do you want to
    >edit it? NO. Let's try slrn.

    That's a netiquette setting somewhere in Xnews. You may find some
    help in news.software.readers.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread