How To Configure Encryption Mode - Networking

This is a discussion on How To Configure Encryption Mode - Networking ; I'm using a Netgear wg311v3 under Fedora 8. I've got everything (finally) working, including WEP encryption, but I've heard that WEP is not secure. The man page for iwconfig doesn't list anything about changing the encryption mode. How to do? ...

  1. How To Configure Encryption Mode

    --
    % Randy Yates % "Maybe one day I'll feel her cold embrace,
    %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % and kiss her interface,

  2. Re: How To Configure Encryption Mode

    Randy Yates writes:

    > I'm using a Netgear wg311v3 under Fedora 8. I've got everything
    > (finally) working, including WEP encryption, but I've heard that WEP is
    > not secure. The man page for iwconfig doesn't list anything about
    > changing the encryption mode. How to do?

    PS: I'd like to change it to WPA. Apparently the default is WEP.

    PSS: I'm under the impression that you must configure the NIC encryption
    mode to match the access point encryption mode. Is this correct, or is
    there some method that the AP automatically informs the NIC of the
    encryption mode?
    --
    % Randy Yates % "With time with what you've learned,
    %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % they'll kiss the ground you walk

  3. Re: How To Configure Encryption Mode

    Randy Yates wrote:
    > Randy Yates writes:
    >
    >> I'm using a Netgear wg311v3 under Fedora 8. I've got everything
    >> (finally) working, including WEP encryption, but I've heard that WEP is
    >> not secure. The man page for iwconfig doesn't list anything about
    >> changing the encryption mode. How to do?

    > PS: I'd like to change it to WPA. Apparently the default is WEP.
    >
    > PSS: I'm under the impression that you must configure the NIC encryption
    > mode to match the access point encryption mode. Is this correct, or is
    > there some method that the AP automatically informs the NIC of the
    > encryption mode?

    I use hostapd to get wpa encryption for my wireless LAN.

    ->HS

  4. Re: How To Configure Encryption Mode

    Randy Yates wrote:
    > I'm using a Netgear wg311v3 under Fedora 8. I've got everything
    > (finally) working, including WEP encryption, but I've heard that WEP is
    > not secure. The man page for iwconfig doesn't list anything about
    > changing the encryption mode. How to do?

    > PS: I'd like to change it to WPA. Apparently the default is WEP.

    You need to ensure that all devices can handle your encryption method
    of choice. On Linux boxes the usual application is wpa_supplicant.
    Unfortunately I can't help you configure it under FC8 as I use Debian,
    but I'm sure you'll find HOWTOs now you know the package name.

    As a hint, use a pseudo-random sequence of characters that is longer
    than 12 or so. Shorter than eight and you can potentially open up your
    network to a dictionary (brute force) attack.

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread