need help from networking and linux expert - Networking

This is a discussion on need help from networking and linux expert - Networking ; Hi, Gurus: Now I am using hping3 to be packet generator, sending customerized pkt to a switch and then forward to another linux box, on which hping3 recv was enabled. If modify the dest mac from the sender and changed ...

  1. need help from networking and linux expert

    Hi, Gurus:

    Now I am using hping3 to be packet generator, sending customerized pkt
    to a switch and then forward to another linux box, on which hping3
    recv was enabled. If modify the dest mac from the sender and changed
    arp table make sure those pkts could be forwarded out to switch, and
    also, the switch flood this unknown unicast pkts out, but somehow
    hping3 recv always saying that no pkt received, but if I turn on
    etheral capture on the receiving side, then hping3 recv could see all
    those pkts, meaning that if I turn on etheral, something got turned on
    the linux box, then make sure all those customerized pkts could go
    through. anybody knows what has been turned on and anyway for me to
    turn on this without ethereral? thanks.

    /zhenwu

  2. Re: need help from networking and linux expert

    Hello,

    a10.part@gmail.com a écrit :
    > Hi, Gurus:

    What about non-gurus ? :-\

    > Now I am using hping3 to be packet generator, sending customerized pkt
    > to a switch and then forward to another linux box, on which hping3
    > recv was enabled. If modify the dest mac from the sender and changed
    > arp table make sure those pkts could be forwarded out to switch, and
    > also, the switch flood this unknown unicast pkts out, but somehow
    > hping3 recv always saying that no pkt received, but if I turn on
    > etheral capture on the receiving side, then hping3 recv could see all
    > those pkts, meaning that if I turn on etheral, something got turned on
    > the linux box, then make sure all those customerized pkts could go
    > through. anybody knows what has been turned on and anyway for me to
    > turn on this without ethereral? thanks.

    By default ethereal, like other packet sniffers, puts the specified
    network interface into promiscuous mode, allowing it to accept ethernet
    frames with any hardware (MAC) destination address. The -p option
    reverses this behaviour. Otherwise a network interface which is not in
    promiscuous mode ignores incoming frames with a MAC destination address
    it does not listen to, i.e. other than its own MAC address, the
    broadcast address and multicast addresses it has been set to receive.

    You can put a network interface in promiscuous mode manually with
    'ifconfig' (man 8 ifconfig) or 'ip link set' (man 8 ip).

    No need to be a networking & Linux expert to answer this. :-p

  3. Re: need help from networking and linux expert

    To me, you are expert. Anyway, thanks for your help and make it
    work after using ifconfig. thanks again.

    /zhenwu

    On Nov 19, 1:31 am, Pascal Hambourg
    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > a10.p...@gmail.com a écrit :
    >
    > > Hi, Gurus:

    > What about non-gurus ? :-\
    >
    > > Now I am using hping3 to be packet generator, sending customerized pkt
    > > to a switch and then forward to another linux box, on which hping3
    > > recv was enabled. If modify the dest mac from the sender and changed
    > > arp table make sure those pkts could be forwarded out to switch, and
    > > also, the switch flood this unknown unicast pkts out, but somehow
    > > hping3 recv always saying that no pkt received, but if I turn on
    > > etheral capture on the receiving side, then hping3 recv could see all
    > > those pkts, meaning that if I turn on etheral, something got turned on
    > > the linux box, then make sure all those customerized pkts could go
    > > through. anybody knows what has been turned on and anyway for me to
    > > turn on this without ethereral? thanks.

    > By default ethereal, like other packet sniffers, puts the specified
    > network interface into promiscuous mode, allowing it to accept ethernet
    > frames with any hardware (MAC) destination address. The -p option
    > reverses this behaviour. Otherwise a network interface which is not in
    > promiscuous mode ignores incoming frames with a MAC destination address
    > it does not listen to, i.e. other than its own MAC address, the
    > broadcast address and multicast addresses it has been set to receive.
    >
    > You can put a network interface in promiscuous mode manually with
    > 'ifconfig' (man 8 ifconfig) or 'ip link set' (man 8 ip).
    >
    > No need to be a networking & Linux expert to answer this. :-p

+ Reply to Thread