day time server - Networking

This is a discussion on day time server - Networking ; Hi all, 1) I was going through networking text books. in one of the books there was an explanation about daytime server. now what exactly is the purpose of day time server...??? as nowadays everyone using computers will be having ...

  1. day time server

    Hi all,

    1)
    I was going through networking text books. in one of the books
    there was an explanation about daytime server. now what exactly
    is the purpose of day time server...??? as nowadays everyone using
    computers will be having mobile phones or a watch , so knowing
    time is not much of an issue.

    2)can any one give example for DBMS software i.e used to build
    DNS databases ...?????

    3) what does the TLD INT specify is it international if it is so why
    such a TLD is being created.????

  2. Re: day time server

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    article <5fd1f5df-6df6-4f03-8295-ada2d18557f2@b40g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
    sophia.agnes@gmail.com wrote:

    >1)
    >I was going through networking text books. in one of the books
    >there was an explanation about daytime server. now what exactly
    >is the purpose of day time server...??? as nowadays everyone using
    >computers will be having mobile phones or a watch , so knowing
    >time is not much of an issue.

    0867 Daytime Protocol. J. Postel. May 1983. (Format: TXT=2289 bytes)
    (Also STD0025) (Status: STANDARD)

    Computers don't read mobile phones or watches by default. 'daytime'
    which is an obsolete (or more correctly, "ancient") service is used
    to synchronize the computer time. It's been replaced by NTP.

    >2)can any one give example for DBMS software i.e used to build
    >DNS databases ...?????

    We simply use a dumb shell script

    >3) what does the TLD INT specify is it international if it is so why
    >such a TLD is being created.????

    These sound like homework questions. You might want to look up why
    there is an .ap and .eu domain - that might give the clue. But if
    all else fails, why not look at RFC1591 which you can find using the
    same search engine you are posting from.

    1591 Domain Name System Structure and Delegation. J. Postel. March
    1994. (Format: TXT=16481 bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

    or you could just ask your instructor.

    Old guy

  3. Re: day time server

    On Nov 17, 9:01 am, sophia.ag...@gmail.com wrote:

    > I was going through networking text books. in one of the books
    > there was an explanation about daytime server. now what exactly
    > is the purpose of day time server...??? as nowadays everyone using
    > computers will be having mobile phones or a watch , so knowing
    > time is not much of an issue.

    If you're not joking, I hope you still have the box your computer came
    in.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread