One MAC or two - Networking

This is a discussion on One MAC or two - Networking ; 1. Current system is a Win98/Linux PC connected to Internet via wireless modem (supplied via ISP) through a router (first emplaced as hardware firewall. This is a Trendnet 802.11g wireless router.) I now wish to add the upstairs WinXP PC ...

  1. One MAC or two

    1. Current system is a Win98/Linux PC connected to
    Internet via wireless modem (supplied via ISP) through
    a router (first emplaced as hardware firewall. This
    is a Trendnet 802.11g wireless router.)
    I now wish to add the upstairs WinXP PC (with a
    Belkin 802.11g wireless card) so these two PCs can
    communicate and the XP PC can get ethernet access by
    wireless (additional to phone line DUN.)

    2. Linux Network info gives a MAC address 00...CA which
    Trendnet (after logging on) also identifies with the
    name of my hub PC. But another Trendnet menu for /Status/
    Device information shows two MACs
    Wireless MAC = 00...CA = home hub
    WAN MAC = 00...34 (connected as DHCP client)

    Is the WAN MAC the address of the Trendnet web site
    to which I am connected?
    Do I need to make these two MACs the same in order
    to build my home network (connecting wirelessly the
    Win98 and WinXP PCs)?

    Don P
    Carlsbad Springs, Canada

  2. Re: One MAC or two

    Don Phillipson wrote:

    > 1. Current system is a Win98/Linux PC connected to
    > Internet via wireless modem (supplied via ISP) through
    > a router (first emplaced as hardware firewall. This
    > is a Trendnet 802.11g wireless router.)
    > I now wish to add the upstairs WinXP PC (with a
    > Belkin 802.11g wireless card) so these two PCs can
    > communicate and the XP PC can get ethernet access by
    > wireless (additional to phone line DUN.)
    >
    > 2. Linux Network info gives a MAC address 00...CA which
    > Trendnet (after logging on) also identifies with the
    > name of my hub PC. But another Trendnet menu for /Status/
    > Device information shows two MACs
    > Wireless MAC = 00...CA = home hub
    > WAN MAC = 00...34 (connected as DHCP client)
    >
    > Is the WAN MAC the address of the Trendnet web site
    > to which I am connected?
    > Do I need to make these two MACs the same in order
    > to build my home network (connecting wirelessly the
    > Win98 and WinXP PCs)?
    >
    > Don P
    > Carlsbad Springs, Canada

    You do realize that you posted a windows question in a linux newsgroup?

    My answer would be, install linux.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  3. Re: One MAC or two

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    article , Don Phillipson wrote:

    Loose the mime and vcard please.

    >1. Current system is a Win98/Linux PC connected to
    >Internet via wireless modem (supplied via ISP) through
    >a router (first emplaced as hardware firewall. This
    >is a Trendnet 802.11g wireless router.)
    > I now wish to add the upstairs WinXP PC (with a
    >Belkin 802.11g wireless card) so these two PCs can
    >communicate and the XP PC can get ethernet access by
    >wireless (additional to phone line DUN.)

    I'm not sure what this has to do with Linux, but OK.

    >2. Linux Network info gives a MAC address 00...CA which
    >Trendnet (after logging on) also identifies with the
    >name of my hub PC. But another Trendnet menu for /Status/
    >Device information shows two MACs
    >Wireless MAC = 00...CA = home hub
    >WAN MAC = 00...34 (connected as DHCP client)

    You want to read something about Ethernet networking (yes, the
    wireless stuff uses the same concepts). The MAC address is only
    used on the "local" link. The TCP packet that contains the web
    request and resulting web page is inside an IP packet - which
    has IP addresses showing source and ULTIMATE destination. The
    IP packet is inside an Ethernet frame, and that frame has the
    _immediate_ source and _immediate_ destination MAC addresses.
    That is how the packets are passed about on the Ethernet (and your
    wireless). If you were able to use 'traceroute' (or TRACERT.EXE as
    you seem to be more used to windoze), you'd see that the IP packet
    may take a number of steps to reach the destination. Your Freenet
    network seems to be about 21 hops from where I am. At each one of
    those hops, there would be a completely different MAC address used
    as the source and destination address. The MAC address is a 48 bit
    binary, usually expressed as six pairs of hexadecimal numbers, such
    as '08:00:20:EA:5F:22'. The first six digits (here, '08:00:20')
    identify the manufacturer of the network device (here, Sun
    Microsystems). Last I checked (end of last month), there are some
    10800 different manufacturers. The last six digits (here 'EA:5F:22')
    are supposed to be unique to this manufacturer's product run. The
    whole idea is that the 48 bit pattern will NEVER appear on more than
    one network device on a given LAN. As the manufacturer has no idea
    who is buying his product, this 48 bit pattern is simply used on
    one device, and never repeated - assuring that it won't be repeated
    on the LAN.

    >Is the WAN MAC the address of the Trendnet web site
    >to which I am connected?

    /sbin/arp -a I think windoze has a similar command

    >Do I need to make these two MACs the same in order
    >to build my home network (connecting wirelessly the
    >Win98 and WinXP PCs)?

    Try it and see what happens. As long as you have console access to
    return things "as was", you will learn that making them the same
    merely breaks your network so that it won't work. If you have the
    usual windoze "personal firewall" software, it may even claim that
    someone is attacking you.

    40490 Jun 22 2000 Home-Network-mini-HOWTO
    708351 Nov 14 2005 IP-Masquerade-HOWTO
    17605 Jul 21 2004 Masquerading-Simple-HOWTO
    203891 Sep 29 2004 NET3-4-HOWTO
    45604 Apr 18 2006 Networking-Overview-HOWTO
    155096 Jan 23 2004 Security-HOWTO
    71626 Apr 4 2004 Unix-and-Internet-Fundamentals-HOWTO

    There's a few documents you might find useful. You may also find
    that news://alt.internet.wireless is a more useful newsgroup.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread