wake on lan - Networking

This is a discussion on wake on lan - Networking ; I have a MIPS-based router running proprietary linux system with shell access. It contains almost only busybox. I want to use wake-on-lan function, unfortunately the ether-wake utility is not included. Is it possible to do this with the basic utilities ...

  1. wake on lan

    I have a MIPS-based router running proprietary linux system with shell
    access. It contains almost only busybox. I want to use wake-on-lan
    function, unfortunately the ether-wake utility is not included. Is it
    possible to do this with the basic utilities included ? These are:

    arp flash logread sort arping fping losetup start.sh ash free ls syslogd
    auth ftpget lsmod system awk ftpput md5sum tail boot.sh getbin2.sh mkdir
    tar brctl getwww2.sh more tc bunzip2 grep mount tcpdump busybox gunzip mv
    telnet bzcat gzip netstat test cat head nslookup tftp chmod hostname ping
    top chown ifconfig pppoe-server.sh tr clear ifstat pppoe.sh traceroute
    connect.sh init ps udhcpc cp insmod pwd umount cut ip qos.sh uname date
    iptables reboot uptime dd iwcontrol reload vconfig df iwpriv
    reload_connect.sh vi dhcp.sh iwpriv-example renice vnstat disconnect.sh
    kill reset watchdog dmesg killall rm wc dumpleases klogd rmmod webs echo ln
    route wget expr load-test.sh sed wpa.sh fgrep logger sh zcat

    It would be very complicated to compile anything for the router.

    Unfortunately there is not something like /dev/eth0 device, where I could
    send a magic packet (whose format is known and simple)

    IS there a way how to do it on this simple stubby system ?

    Thanks for any idea,
    MB

  2. Re: wake on lan

    Michal Bozon wrote:
    > I have a MIPS-based router running proprietary linux system with shell
    > access. It contains almost only busybox. I want to use wake-on-lan
    > function, unfortunately the ether-wake utility is not included. Is it

    > Unfortunately there is not something like /dev/eth0 device, where I could
    > send a magic packet (whose format is known and simple)

    Of course there is - it is a network device, yes ?
    The WOL magic packet is sent to the device's MAC address, and has
    nothing to do with TCP/IP.

    If the router has this ability (which I *very* much doubt) then sending
    the magic packet is all you need to do.

    If you mean sending a WOL packet *from* this device (but you're not
    saying that), the same applies: construct the magic packet and netcat it
    out of the interface.

    J.

  3. Re: wake on lan

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 15:16:14 +0100, Jeroen Geilman wrote:

    > Michal Bozon wrote:
    >> I have a MIPS-based router running proprietary linux system with shell
    >> access. It contains almost only busybox. I want to use wake-on-lan
    >> function, unfortunately the ether-wake utility is not included. Is it

    >> Unfortunately there is not something like /dev/eth0 device, where I could
    >> send a magic packet (whose format is known and simple)

    > Of course there is - it is a network device, yes ?
    > The WOL magic packet is sent to the device's MAC address, and has
    > nothing to do with TCP/IP.
    >
    > If the router has this ability (which I *very* much doubt) then sending
    > the magic packet is all you need to do.
    >
    > If you mean sending a WOL packet *from* this device (but you're not
    > saying that), the same applies: construct the magic packet and netcat it
    > out of the interface.

    Yas, I want to send the packet from the router. Do you see netcat in the
    list of available utilities ?

    > J.

+ Reply to Thread