TFTP and FTP - Networking

This is a discussion on TFTP and FTP - Networking ; Hi, TFTP is just a connectionless version of FTP that uses UDP for reducing the overhead and increasing the reliability. Why does TFTP does not require 2 ports ? How does TFTP manage to do the activities done by FTP ...

  1. TFTP and FTP

    Hi,

    TFTP is just a connectionless version of FTP that uses UDP for
    reducing the overhead and increasing the reliability. Why does TFTP
    does not require 2 ports ?
    How does TFTP manage to do the activities done by FTP with only
    1 port ?

    That is,
    FTP (TCP based) use two ports (Port 20 and Port 21).
    Port 20 - For Data Stream . (data)
    Port 21 - For Control Stream (commands between FTP server and
    client)
    TFTP (UDP based) use only one port(Port 69) . Why ?

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

  2. Re: TFTP and FTP

    "karthikbalaguru" wrote in message
    news:1194380417.267229.213050@k35g2000prh.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > TFTP is just a connectionless version of FTP that uses UDP for
    > reducing the overhead and increasing the reliability. Why does TFTP
    > does not require 2 ports ?
    > How does TFTP manage to do the activities done by FTP with only
    > 1 port ?
    >
    > That is,
    > FTP (TCP based) use two ports (Port 20 and Port 21).
    > Port 20 - For Data Stream . (data)
    > Port 21 - For Control Stream (commands between FTP server and
    > client)
    > TFTP (UDP based) use only one port(Port 69) . Why ?
    >
    > Thx in advans,
    > Karthik Balaguru

    I love your scatter gun questioning. Sometimes well thought out, researched
    and insightful. Sometimes lazy. It has been asked before, but how many
    people are posting under the name Karthik Balaguru? Are you also
    responsible for doubling the traffic on the comp.sys.arm group?

    Back to the point:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trivial...nsfer_Protocol

    --
    Regards,
    Richard.

    + http://www.FreeRTOS.org
    14 official architecture ports, 1000 downloads per week.

    + http://www.SafeRTOS.com
    Certified by TÜV as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.

  3. Re: TFTP and FTP

    In comp.arch.embedded FreeRTOS.org wrote:

    > I love your scatter gun questioning. Sometimes well thought out, researched
    > and insightful. Sometimes lazy. It has been asked before, but how many
    > people are posting under the name Karthik Balaguru? Are you also
    > responsible for doubling the traffic on the comp.sys.arm group?
    >
    > Back to the point:
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trivial...nsfer_Protocol

    Or perhaps
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_..._(nom_de_plume)

    Maybe it's a whole bunch of wannabes trying to get their homework done

    pete
    --
    pete@fenelon.com "irk the purists - if you've never then you ought."

  4. Re: TFTP and FTP

    In article , Pete Fenelon wrote:
    >In comp.arch.embedded FreeRTOS.org wrote:
    >>
    >> I love your scatter gun questioning. Sometimes well thought out, researched
    >> and insightful. Sometimes lazy. It has been asked before, but how many
    >> people are posting under the name Karthik Balaguru? Are you also
    >> responsible for doubling the traffic on the comp.sys.arm group?
    >>
    >> Back to the point:
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trivial...nsfer_Protocol
    >>

    >Or perhaps
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_..._(nom_de_plume)
    >

    >Maybe it's a whole bunch of wannabes trying to get their homework done
    >
    >pete

    Yep, and using the same name, just to make sure.
    :--}

    --
    The most powerful Usenet tool you have ever heard of.
    NewsMaestro v. 4.0.7 has been released.

    * Bug fixes and improvements.

    Note: In some previous releases some class files were missing.
    As a result, the program would not run.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

    Web page:
    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/

    Download page:
    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/D...nformation.htm

    Send any feedback, ideas, suggestions, test results to
    newsmaestroinfo \at/ mail.ru.

    Your personal info will not be released and your privacy
    will be honored.

  5. Re: TFTP and FTP

    On Nov 7, 1:34 am, "FreeRTOS.org" wrote:
    > "karthikbalaguru" wrote in message
    >
    > news:1194380417.267229.213050@k35g2000prh.googlegr oups.com...
    >

    > > Hi,

    > > TFTP is just a connectionless version of FTP that uses UDP for
    > > reducing the overhead and increasing the reliability. Why does TFTP
    > > does not require 2 ports ?
    > > How does TFTP manage to do the activities done by FTP with only
    > > 1 port ?

    > > That is,
    > > FTP (TCP based) use two ports (Port 20 and Port 21).
    > > Port 20 - For Data Stream . (data)
    > > Port 21 - For Control Stream (commands between FTP server and
    > > client)
    > > TFTP (UDP based) use only one port(Port 69) . Why ?

    > > Thx in advans,
    > > Karthik Balaguru

    > I love your scatter gun questioning. Sometimes well thought out, researched
    > and insightful. Sometimes lazy. It has been asked before, but how many
    > people are posting under the name Karthik Balaguru? Are you also
    > responsible for doubling the traffic on the comp.sys.arm group?
    >
    > Back to the point:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trivial...nsfer_Protocol

    Thx for that info Richard.
    The links were really useful and i walked through the RFC documents &
    Internet.
    Interesting

    I have collected some info from those links that i have shared here :

    TFTP
    =====
    TFTP uses a stop-and-wait-protocol (one connection).
    Maximum Packet size is 512 bytes. It sends 512 bytes and wait for
    the ack.
    Each data packet contains one block of data, and must be
    acknowledged by an
    acknowledgment packet before the next packet can be sent
    It has application based ACK. This slow back and forth process
    causes it to be slow.

    Any transfer begins with a request to read or write a file, which
    also serves to request a connection. If the server grants the
    request, the connection is opened and the file is sent in fixed
    length blocks of 512 bytes.

    * TFTP supports five types of packets :
    opcode operation
    1 Read request (RRQ)
    2 Write request (WRQ)
    3 Data (DATA)
    4 Acknowledgment (ACK)
    5 Error (ERROR)

    FTP
    =====
    FTP uses out-of-band control, which means it uses a separate
    connection for control and data
    FTP uses sliding windows and bigger packets. (2 connections)
    So FTP is faster.

    The protocol requires that the control connections be open while
    data transfer is in progress. It is the responsibility of the
    user to request the closing of the control connections when
    finished using the FTP service, while it is the server who takes
    the action. The server may abort data transfer if the control
    connections are closed without command.

    control connection
    The communication path between the USER-PI and SERVER-PI for
    the exchange of commands and replies. This connection follows
    the Telnet Protocol.

    data connection
    A full duplex connection over which data is transferred, in a
    specified mode and type. The data transferred may be a part of
    a file, an entire file or a number of files. The path may be
    between a server-DTP and a user-DTP, or between two
    server-DTPs.

    The control connection follows
    the Telnet protocol. At the initiation of the user, standard
    FTP
    commands are generated by the user-PI and transmitted to the
    server process via the control connection. (The user may
    establish a direct control connection to the server-FTP, from a
    TAC terminal for example, and generate standard FTP commands
    independently, bypassing the user-FTP process.) Standard replies
    are sent from the server-PI to the user-PI over the control
    connection in response to the commands.

    The FTP commands specify the parameters for the data connection
    (data port, transfer mode, representation type, and structure)
    and
    the nature of file system operation (store, retrieve, append,
    delete, etc.). The user-DTP or its designate should "listen" on
    the specified data port, and the server initiate the data
    connection and data transfer in accordance with the specified
    parameters. It should be noted that the data port need not be
    in
    the same host that initiates the FTP commands via the control
    connection, but the user or the user-FTP process must ensure a
    "listen" on the specified data port. It ought to also be noted
    that the data connection may be used for simultaneous sending
    and
    receiving.

    Interesting to find that FTP has vast features and hence designed
    like
    in that manner.

    I came across the below info too which i suspect is not possible
    with TFTP !!!

    A user might wish to transfer files between
    two hosts, neither of which is a local host. The user sets up
    control connections to the two servers and then arranges for a
    data connection between them. In this manner, control
    information
    is passed to the user-PI but data is transferred between the
    server data transfer processes. Following is a model of this
    server-server interaction.

    Control ------------ Control
    ---------->| User-FTP |<-----------
    | | User-PI | |
    | | "C" | |
    V ------------ V
    | Server-FTP | Data Connection | Server-FTP |
    "B" |
    -------------- Port (A) Port (B)

    I think, this server-server interaction is not pssible with
    TFTP .

    Karthik Balaguru

+ Reply to Thread