Listening on many ports on Linux - Networking

This is a discussion on Listening on many ports on Linux - Networking ; Hello, I've implemented an Inetd type daemon in C++ language using Linux native Socket APIs.It can listen on multiple ports and fork a process which takes over connection just like Inetd. I want to ask if i make this daemon ...

  1. Listening on many ports on Linux

    Hello,
    I've implemented an Inetd type daemon in C++ language using Linux
    native Socket APIs.It can listen on multiple ports and fork a process
    which takes over connection just like Inetd.
    I want to ask if i make this daemon to listen on fourty(40) thousand
    ports.What are the Pros and Cons of this approach? Thanks.
    Regards,
    Owais.

  2. Re: Listening on many ports on Linux

    mowaiskhan@gmail.com wrote in news:1194373820.126897.216610@
    50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

    > Hello,
    > I've implemented an Inetd type daemon in C++ language using Linux
    > native Socket APIs.It can listen on multiple ports and fork a process
    > which takes over connection just like Inetd.
    > I want to ask if i make this daemon to listen on fourty(40) thousand
    > ports.What are the Pros and Cons of this approach? Thanks.
    > Regards,
    > Owais.

    I don't see the point of it to be honest. What exactly are you really
    trying to achieve.

  3. Re: Listening on many ports on Linux

    In article <1194373820.126897.216610@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.c om>, mowaiskhan@gmail.com wrote:
    >Hello,
    >I've implemented an Inetd type daemon in C++ language using Linux
    >native Socket APIs.It can listen on multiple ports and fork a process
    >which takes over connection just like Inetd.
    >I want to ask if i make this daemon to listen on fourty(40) thousand
    >ports.

    Are you serious?
    What for?

    --
    The most powerful Usenet tool you have ever heard of.
    NewsMaestro v. 4.0.7 has been released.

    * Bug fixes and improvements.

    Note: In some previous releases some class files were missing.
    As a result, the program would not run.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

    Web page:
    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/

    Download page:
    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/D...nformation.htm

    Send any feedback, ideas, suggestions, test results to
    newsmaestroinfo \at/ mail.ru.

    Your personal info will not be released and your privacy
    will be honored.

  4. Re: Listening on many ports on Linux

    > In article <1194373820.126897.216610@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.c om>, mowaiskhan@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> I've implemented an Inetd type daemon in C++ language using Linux
    >> native Socket APIs.It can listen on multiple ports and fork a process
    >> which takes over connection just like Inetd.
    >> I want to ask if i make this daemon to listen on fourty(40) thousand
    >> ports.

    Did you look at xinetd?

    --

    //Aho

  5. Re: Listening on many ports on Linux

    mowaiskhan@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I've implemented an Inetd type daemon in C++ language using Linux
    > native Socket APIs.It can listen on multiple ports and fork a process
    > which takes over connection just like Inetd.
    > I want to ask if i make this daemon to listen on fourty(40) thousand
    > ports.What are the Pros and Cons of this approach? Thanks.

    What exactly are you trying to achieve? Depending on that, raw sockets
    might be a valid approach.

    --
    Linards Ticmanis

+ Reply to Thread