Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience" - Networking

This is a discussion on Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience" - Networking ; In article , "DFS" wrote: >Author: crayzie >Tech Level: high >Ownership: 1 month to 1 year >Date: 9/11/2007 10:56:35 PM >Subject: wah wah wah >Rating: 5 Eggs > >Pros: I have been using Vista for 4 months now and it ...

  1. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    In article , "DFS" wrote:
    >Author: crayzie
    >Tech Level: high
    >Ownership: 1 month to 1 year
    >Date: 9/11/2007 10:56:35 PM
    >Subject: wah wah wah
    >Rating: 5 Eggs
    >
    >Pros: I have been using Vista for 4 months now and it has been a fantastic
    >experience. IF you have a fast system get it, if you dont, dont get it and
    >dont whine. It is an awesome OS if you have a fast CPU and a lot of memory,
    >if you have a slower computer, dont bother, but from my experience, amd or
    >intel @ 1.8GHz and 1 GB of ram does it.

    Just to run the OS.
    But what if you actually want to do something with your box?

    >I have an e6600 w/ 4GB ddr2 1066 and
    >dual raptors in raid 0, vista is amazing.

    >Cons: Annoying at times with confirmation prompts.

    Uhu. And this is just for starters.

    >Let us know the next time someone describes Linux as a "fantastic
    >experience".

    Depends on how screwed up your brain is.
    Linux is much leaner and it is an open source.
    So you can fix ANY app if you don't like some things in it,
    and you can see EXACTLY what that app does.
    Things like going out on the Internet without even informing you,
    and downloading/uploading anything they want.

    Just wait. You'll see what's forthcoming.

    --
    The most powerful Usenet tool you have ever heard of.
    NewsMaestro v. 4.0.7 has been released.

    * Bug fixes and improvements.

    Note: In some previous releases some class files were missing.
    As a result, the program would not run.
    Sorry for the inconvenience.

    Web page:
    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/

    Download page:
    http://newsmaestro.sourceforge.net/D...nformation.htm

    Send any feedback, ideas, suggestions, test results to
    newsmaestroinfo \at/ mail.ru.

    Your personal info will not be released and your privacy
    will be honored.

  2. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Almond wrote:
    > In article , "DFS" wrote:
    >> Author: crayzie
    >> Tech Level: high
    >> Ownership: 1 month to 1 year
    >> Date: 9/11/2007 10:56:35 PM
    >> Subject: wah wah wah
    >> Rating: 5 Eggs
    >>
    >> Pros: I have been using Vista for 4 months now and it has been a fantastic
    >> experience. IF you have a fast system get it, if you dont, dont get it and
    >> dont whine. It is an awesome OS if you have a fast CPU and a lot of memory,
    >> if you have a slower computer, dont bother, but from my experience, amd or
    >> intel @ 1.8GHz and 1 GB of ram does it.

    > Just to run the OS.
    > But what if you actually want to do something with your box?
    >
    >> I have an e6600 w/ 4GB ddr2 1066 and
    >> dual raptors in raid 0, vista is amazing.

    >> Cons: Annoying at times with confirmation prompts.

    > Uhu. And this is just for starters.
    >
    >> Let us know the next time someone describes Linux as a "fantastic
    >> experience".

    > Depends on how screwed up your brain is.
    > Linux is much leaner and it is an open source.
    > So you can fix ANY app if you don't like some things in it,
    > and you can see EXACTLY what that app does.
    > Things like going out on the Internet without even informing you,
    > and downloading/uploading anything they want.
    >
    > Just wait. You'll see what's forthcoming.

    If Vista is such a fantastic experience, why is it that we have to use "sneakernet" to get files
    in/out of the only Vista machine we have? Not only can it not see the SMB/CIFS shares from my file
    server, but it cannot see files or printers on my XP machine. For your info, I have been setting up
    networking on all kinds of machines for 20 years, but "Windows Millenium 2007", which is my favorite
    name for Vista, just pain will not work.

  3. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 19:30:26 +0000, Larry Finger wrote:

    > If Vista is such a fantastic experience, why is it that we have to use
    > "sneakernet" to get files in/out of the only Vista machine we have? Not
    > only can it not see the SMB/CIFS shares from my file server, but it
    > cannot see files or printers on my XP machine.

    Well... not that this should be taken as any sort of endorsement for Vista
    but...

    Can we assume the file server is Linux, has nmb running, has samba
    configured correctly and is allowing traffic through its firewall?

    Can we assume that the Vista and XP machines have File & Print sharing
    enabled and are allowing it through their firewalls... since it's blocked
    by default?

    I have yet to see Vista myself but I find it difficult to believe that MS
    has fouled up their file and print sharing protocol.

    ....though honestly it wouldn't surprise me.

    --
    I told you this was going to happen.

  4. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Ivan Marsh wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 19:30:26 +0000, Larry Finger wrote:
    >
    >> If Vista is such a fantastic experience, why is it that we have to use
    >> "sneakernet" to get files in/out of the only Vista machine we have? Not
    >> only can it not see the SMB/CIFS shares from my file server, but it
    >> cannot see files or printers on my XP machine.

    > Well... not that this should be taken as any sort of endorsement for Vista
    > but...
    >
    > Can we assume the file server is Linux, has nmb running, has samba
    > configured correctly and is allowing traffic through its firewall?

    Yes - the XP machine can read and write the Samba shares.

    > Can we assume that the Vista and XP machines have File & Print sharing
    > enabled and are allowing it through their firewalls... since it's blocked
    > by default?

    Yes.

    > I have yet to see Vista myself but I find it difficult to believe that MS
    > has fouled up their file and print sharing protocol.
    >
    > ...though honestly it wouldn't surprise me.

    It shouldn't. Vista doesn't crash, but it is essentially useless. The really funny thing is that
    when the Vista system first came, it connected to the Linux server exactly once, and I was able to
    move a bunch of files. One other time, it was able to connect to the printer on the XP machine, but
    only indirectly through my Linux laptop, which was exporting a Samba share for the printer that is
    connected to the XP computer. Note that Vista couldn't see the XP's printer directly. Thus we are
    forces to move a thumb drive from machine to machine - roughly akin to the days when we didn't have
    networks and moved files around with floppies.

    One other interesting situation. We have a Canon 1220U scanner that has worked for years on XP. It
    doesn't work on Vista - there are no drivers. When I plugged it into my openSUSE 10.3 system and
    installed sane, it just worked.

    I have no interest in fixing Vista as I would never use it. I just had to refute the claim of a
    "fantastic experience".

    Larry

  5. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Larry Finger wrote:

    > If Vista is such a fantastic experience, why is it that we have to use
    > "sneakernet" to get files in/out of the only Vista machine we have? Not
    > only can it not see the SMB/CIFS shares from my file server, but it
    > cannot see files or printers on my XP machine. For your info, I have
    > been setting up networking on all kinds of machines for 20 years, but
    > "Windows Millenium 2007", which is my favorite name for Vista, just pain
    > will not work.

    Well, we have 2 Vista machines in our corporate network, which is using
    an Ubuntu Server with Samba 3. And basically it acts as a PDC, and tbh,
    the vista machines can connect with it, use the shares and also the
    printers in the network (shared through samba via cups).
    So the connectivity of vista with samba isn't something to complain
    about, from my side that is.
    Having said that, there are still plenty of things to complain about in
    vista, such as the ridiculous hardware demands, the annoying popups
    asking you whether or not you're sure you want to wipe your arse, the
    way vista handles updates, software incompatibilities, lack of proper
    drivers, security on some resources (for example, I need to start every
    program that uses db2 odbc as admin or else I can't connect with a
    database), etc, etc...

    *Embraces his Ubuntu Workstation*

    -R-

  6. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 03:57:20 +0000, Larry Finger wrote:

    > Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >
    >> I have yet to see Vista myself but I find it difficult to believe that
    >> MS has fouled up their file and print sharing protocol.
    >>
    >> ...though honestly it wouldn't surprise me.

    > It shouldn't. Vista doesn't crash, but it is essentially useless. The
    > really funny thing is that when the Vista system first came, it
    > connected to the Linux server exactly once, and I was able to move a
    > bunch of files. One other time, it was able to connect to the printer on
    > the XP machine, but only indirectly through my Linux laptop, which was
    > exporting a Samba share for the printer that is connected to the XP
    > computer. Note that Vista couldn't see the XP's printer directly. Thus
    > we are forces to move a thumb drive from machine to machine - roughly
    > akin to the days when we didn't have networks and moved files around
    > with floppies.
    >
    > I have no interest in fixing Vista as I would never use it. I just had
    > to refute the claim of a "fantastic experience".

    That sucks.

    I did just talk to one of my cohorts here who has more experience with
    Vista and, according to him, there is a bug in Vista as well as XP that
    occurs with some network drivers where the Windows firewall gets hosed up
    and nothing you do will fix it short of completely removing all references
    to the installed network card and completely reinstalling networking like
    it's a fresh install.

    Sounds like a lot of work you shouldn't have to do but I'd be interested
    if it fixes your issue.

    Good to know MS's network stack hasn't improved since '95.

    --
    I told you this was going to happen.

  7. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > That sucks.
    >
    > I did just talk to one of my cohorts here who has more experience with
    > Vista and, according to him, there is a bug in Vista as well as XP that
    > occurs with some network drivers where the Windows firewall gets hosed up
    > and nothing you do will fix it short of completely removing all references
    > to the installed network card and completely reinstalling networking like
    > it's a fresh install.
    >
    > Sounds like a lot of work you shouldn't have to do but I'd be interested
    > if it fixes your issue.
    >
    > Good to know MS's network stack hasn't improved since '95.

    The network on the Vista machine can get to the Internet, and to the local network for a network
    printer. It just cannot see CIFS or SMB shares from either Samba or XP. As I said, Windows Millenium
    2007.

    Larry

  8. Re: Vista "has been a fantastic experience"

    Ivan Marsh wrote:

    > Good to know MS's network stack hasn't improved since '95.

    They're /still/ using the one they stole from BSD back then. Of course they
    stole the broken version, not the corrected, working one!

    MS has been hobbled by all the legacy code that they can't touch: the
    programmers that "borrowed" and wrote the early code have all long gone
    (mostly to FOSS projects) and the rest of the "programmers" at MS are the
    type that believe that Visual Basic is a programming language!

    Vista deliberately cripples (the already limited) network connectivity
    whenever you try to play a CD or DVD - you might be trying to file-share
    it! MS assume that ever user is a "criminal".

    C.

+ Reply to Thread