Only one Ethernet connector for everything - Networking

This is a discussion on Only one Ethernet connector for everything - Networking ; Hello, I have some boxes and a switch. Each box has only one Ethernet connector. Is it possible to make a box with only one Ethernet connector a gateway? All the local boxes are connected to the hub and the ...

  1. Only one Ethernet connector for everything

    Hello,

    I have some boxes and a switch. Each box has only one Ethernet connector.

    Is it possible to make a box with only one Ethernet connector a gateway?

    All the local boxes are connected to the hub and the hub is connected with
    my cable modem (with one WAN IP only).

    Can I set up one of the boxes as a router / gateway to the Internet for the
    other boxes on the hub through only one Ethernet patch cable to the hub
    acting as Internet gateway AND router?

    I mean - Can it be done?

    Many Thanks

    Guy

  2. Re: Only one Ethernet connector for everything

    "Guy Ollerearnshaw" wrote:

    > Is it possible to make a box with only one Ethernet connector a gateway?

    Google for "router on a stick" or "one armed router"

  3. Re: Only one Ethernet connector for everything

    Ahhh - keywords. Thanks, Roy. They're bearing fruit.

    ---------------------------------
    Ask questions later, shoot first.

  4. Re: Only one Ethernet connector for everything

    Am Fri, 02 Nov 2007 13:48:02 +0000 schrieb Guy Ollerearnshaw:

    > Hello,

    Hi,
    > Is it possible to make a box with only one Ethernet connector a gateway?
    > All the local boxes are connected to the hub and the hub is connected
    > with my cable modem (with one WAN IP only).

    Yes, but it is not real a nice way (hub and external traffic on this
    device).
    You could setup different vlan's on this nic.

    > Can I set up one of the boxes as a router / gateway to the Internet for
    > the other boxes on the hub through only one Ethernet patch cable to the
    > hub acting as Internet gateway AND router?

    Yes. he would have then a vlan with your LAN's IP and a second vlan with
    your external IP.

    cheers

  5. Re: Only one Ethernet connector for everything

    Guy Ollerearnshaw wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have some boxes and a switch. Each box has only one Ethernet connector.
    >
    > Is it possible to make a box with only one Ethernet connector a gateway?
    >
    > All the local boxes are connected to the hub and the hub is connected with
    > my cable modem (with one WAN IP only).
    >
    > Can I set up one of the boxes as a router / gateway to the Internet for the
    > other boxes on the hub through only one Ethernet patch cable to the hub
    > acting as Internet gateway AND router?
    >
    > I mean - Can it be done?
    >
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Guy

    You can buy yourself another ethernet card for 5 (probably $10US) so
    why not just get one and stop struggling!

    Robert

  6. Re: Only one Ethernet connector for everything

    Thank you all for your encouragement. With an Ethernet card it would be as
    simple (almost) as plug n' pray but my machines have no PCI slots. They are
    Dell SX270's I found in a skip. I need the 'one armed router' or 'router on
    a stick' solution.

    Off topic - How to repair a Dell SX270:

    and a picture of some faulty capacitors:

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v711/whurd/Bad.jpg

    Chucked because of a motherboard failure. I have put some new caps on the
    mobo and they run fine! 8-)

+ Reply to Thread