Can't load conntract support for proto=2 - Networking

This is a discussion on Can't load conntract support for proto=2 - Networking ; I'm trying to build kernel 2.6.22.10 from source, for use in what was originally configured as a Fedora Core 4 system. It's for a system that works as an unattended internet-connected device, and as such it has a pretty harsh ...

  1. Can't load conntract support for proto=2

    I'm trying to build kernel 2.6.22.10 from source, for use in what was
    originally configured as a Fedora Core 4 system. It's for a system
    that works as an unattended internet-connected device, and as such it
    has a pretty harsh firewall. FC4 rpms only go up to 2.6.17, and I'm
    trying to find out if a newer kernel version fixes (what looks for all
    the world to be) a serial driver bug.

    The build succeeds and the kernel boots but iptables aren't loaded.
    It says "can't load conntrack support for proto=2." The error goes
    away if I remove all the lines that say "-m state" but of course
    that's not useful. I can insmod *every* module in /lib/modules/
    2.6.22.10/kernel/net/netfilter and it does the same thing.

    In case it's germane, here's the whole list of netfilter modules:

    nf_conntrack_ftp.ko

    nf_conntrack.ko

    nfnetlink.ko

    nfnetlink_log.ko

    nfnetlink_queue.ko

    x_tables.ko

    xt_CLASSIFY.ko

    xt_comment.ko

    xt_connbytes.ko

    xt_connmark.ko

    xt_CONNMARK.ko

    xt_CONNSECMARK.ko

    xt_conntrack.ko

    xt_dccp.ko

    xt_dscp.ko

    xt_DSCP.ko

    xt_esp.ko

    xt_hashlimit.ko

    xt_helper.ko

    xt_length.ko

    xt_limit.ko

    xt_mac.ko

    xt_mark.ko

    xt_MARK.ko

    xt_multiport.ko

    xt_NFLOG.ko

    xt_NFQUEUE.ko

    xt_NOTRACK.ko

    xt_physdev.ko

    xt_pkttype.ko

    xt_policy.ko

    xt_quota.ko

    xt_realm.ko

    xt_sctp.ko

    xt_SECMARK.ko

    xt_state.ko

    xt_statistic.ko

    xt_string.ko

    xt_tcpmss.ko

    xt_TCPMSS.ko

    xt_tcpudp.ko

    What am I missing? Thanks.

  2. Re: Can't load conntract support for proto=2

    Hello,

    Richard Krehbiel a écrit :
    > I'm trying to build kernel 2.6.22.10 from source, for use in what was
    > originally configured as a Fedora Core 4 system. It's for a system
    > that works as an unattended internet-connected device, and as such it
    > has a pretty harsh firewall. FC4 rpms only go up to 2.6.17, and I'm
    > trying to find out if a newer kernel version fixes (what looks for all
    > the world to be) a serial driver bug.
    >
    > The build succeeds and the kernel boots but iptables aren't loaded.
    > It says "can't load conntrack support for proto=2." The error goes
    > away if I remove all the lines that say "-m state" but of course
    > that's not useful. I can insmod *every* module in /lib/modules/
    > 2.6.22.10/kernel/net/netfilter and it does the same thing.
    >
    > In case it's germane, here's the whole list of netfilter modules:

    [...]

    Did you check in /lib/modules/2.6.22.10/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ ?

    > What am I missing? Thanks.

    IPv4 connection tracking (nf_conntrack_ipv4.ko), I'd say.

  3. Re: Can't load conntract support for proto=2

    On Nov 1, 8:18 am, Pascal Hambourg
    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Richard Krehbiel a écrit :> I'm trying to build kernel 2.6.22.10 from source, for use in what was
    > > originally configured as a Fedora Core 4 system. It's for a system
    > > that works as an unattended internet-connected device, and as such it
    > > has a pretty harsh firewall. FC4 rpms only go up to 2.6.17, and I'm
    > > trying to find out if a newer kernel version fixes (what looks for all
    > > the world to be) a serial driver bug.

    > > The build succeeds and the kernel boots but iptables aren't loaded.
    > > It says "can't load conntrack support for proto=2." The error goes
    > > away if I remove all the lines that say "-m state" but of course
    > > that's not useful. I can insmod *every* module in /lib/modules/
    > > 2.6.22.10/kernel/net/netfilter and it does the same thing.

    > > In case it's germane, here's the whole list of netfilter modules:

    > [...]
    >
    > Did you check in /lib/modules/2.6.22.10/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ ?
    >
    > > What am I missing? Thanks.

    > IPv4 connection tracking (nf_conntrack_ipv4.ko), I'd say.

    Ah, thanks. It'll take me a few hours to rebuild and test that, but
    it looks like you're right.

+ Reply to Thread