Wireless Woes - Networking

This is a discussion on Wireless Woes - Networking ; Hi. As a newbie I have been trying to setup my Atheros Wireless card following one or two of the Gentoo Wiki's. I emerged a number of items, wireless tools etc but to no avail. When I run 'lspci' I ...

  1. Wireless Woes

    Hi.

    As a newbie I have been trying to setup my Atheros Wireless card following
    one or two of the Gentoo Wiki's.
    I emerged a number of items, wireless tools etc but to no avail. When I run
    'lspci' I receive the following:

    00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co Ltd
    RTL-8139/8139C/813C+ (rev 10) - My 10/100 Ethernet Card
    00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc AR5212 802.11abg
    NIC (rev 01) - My Wireless Card

    An ifconfig shows:

    eth0 - MY LAN Ethernet card present in use
    l0 - My loopback address

    If I do a iwconfig I get:

    lo no wireless extensions
    eth0 no wireless extensions
    sit0 no wireless extensions

    I e-mailed one of the Linux forums and was asked if I had run 'modprobe
    ath-pci' which I hadn't. When I do I get the following result:

    Warning: Error inserting ath_ha1
    (/lib/modules/2.6.22-gentoo-r8/net/ath_ha1.ko): invalid module format
    Warning : Error inserting wlan (/lib/modules/2.6.22-gentoo-r8/net/wlan.ko):
    invalid module format
    : Error inserting ath_pci (/lib/modules/2.6.22-gentoo-r8/net/ath_pci.ko) :
    invalid module format

    Can anyone point me in the right direction please so that I can resolve this
    error.

    Regards

    Darren

  2. Re: Wireless Woes

    Darren Green wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > As a newbie I have been trying to setup my Atheros Wireless card following
    > one or two of the Gentoo Wiki's.
    > I emerged a number of items, wireless tools etc but to no avail. When I
    > run 'lspci' I receive the following:
    >
    > 00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co Ltd
    > RTL-8139/8139C/813C+ (rev 10) - My 10/100 Ethernet Card
    > 00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc AR5212 802.11abg
    > NIC (rev 01) - My Wireless Card
    >
    > An ifconfig shows:
    >
    > eth0 - MY LAN Ethernet card present in use
    > l0 - My loopback address
    >
    > If I do a iwconfig I get:
    >
    > lo no wireless extensions
    > eth0 no wireless extensions
    > sit0 no wireless extensions
    >
    > I e-mailed one of the Linux forums and was asked if I had run 'modprobe
    > ath-pci' which I hadn't. When I do I get the following result:
    >
    > Warning: Error inserting ath_ha1
    > (/lib/modules/2.6.22-gentoo-r8/net/ath_ha1.ko): invalid module format
    > Warning : Error inserting wlan
    > (/lib/modules/2.6.22-gentoo-r8/net/wlan.ko): invalid module format
    > : Error inserting ath_pci (/lib/modules/2.6.22-gentoo-r8/net/ath_pci.ko) :
    > invalid module format
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the right direction please so that I can resolve
    > this error.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Darren

    Darren, I am not a Gentoo user so I need to ask a question first. Does
    Gentoo use repositories to store additional programs on the net? If it
    does, download "madwifi" and then try to install you wireless.

    It really will get easier, when I first started installing mine I wondered
    if I had suddenly taken "stupid" pills. The users group is a good place
    for information, but what really helped me was "someone with skin on". In
    this case my daughter who lives about 900 miles away. There are a
    few "niceities" that they will point out as you go through that the rest
    of us would overlook.

    Deb

  3. Re: Wireless Woes

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:02:42 +0000, Darren Green wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > As a newbie I have been trying to setup my Atheros Wireless card following
    > one or two of the Gentoo Wiki's.
    > I emerged a number of items, wireless tools etc but to no avail. When I run
    > 'lspci' I receive the following:
    >
    > 00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co Ltd
    > RTL-8139/8139C/813C+ (rev 10) - My 10/100 Ethernet Card
    > 00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc AR5212 802.11abg
    > NIC (rev 01) - My Wireless Card
    >
    > An ifconfig shows:
    >
    > eth0 - MY LAN Ethernet card present in use
    > l0 - My loopback address
    >
    > If I do a iwconfig I get:
    >
    > lo no wireless extensions
    > eth0 no wireless extensions
    > sit0 no wireless extensions
    >
    > I e-mailed one of the Linux forums and was asked if I had run 'modprobe
    > ath-pci' which I hadn't. When I do I get the following result:
    >
    > Warning: Error inserting ath_ha1
    > (/lib/modules/2.6.22-gentoo-r8/net/ath_ha1.ko): invalid module format
    > Warning : Error inserting wlan (/lib/modules/2.6.22-gentoo-r8/net/wlan.ko):
    > invalid module format
    > : Error inserting ath_pci (/lib/modules/2.6.22-gentoo-r8/net/ath_pci.ko) :
    > invalid module format
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the right direction please so that I can resolve this
    > error.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Darren

    FWIW - you might try alt.os.linux.gentoo and/or comp.os.linux.networking.

  4. Re: Wireless Woes

    ray wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:02:42 +0000, Darren Green wrote:
    >
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> As a newbie I have been trying to setup my Atheros Wireless card following
    >> one or two of the Gentoo Wiki's.
    >> I emerged a number of items, wireless tools etc but to no avail. When I run
    >> 'lspci' I receive the following:
    >>
    >> 00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co Ltd
    >> RTL-8139/8139C/813C+ (rev 10) - My 10/100 Ethernet Card
    >> 00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc AR5212 802.11abg
    >> NIC (rev 01) - My Wireless Card
    >>
    >> An ifconfig shows:
    >>
    >> eth0 - MY LAN Ethernet card present in use
    >> l0 - My loopback address
    >>
    >> If I do a iwconfig I get:
    >>
    >> lo no wireless extensions
    >> eth0 no wireless extensions
    >> sit0 no wireless extensions
    >>
    >> I e-mailed one of the Linux forums and was asked if I had run 'modprobe
    >> ath-pci' which I hadn't. When I do I get the following result:
    >>
    >> Warning: Error inserting ath_ha1
    >> (/lib/modules/2.6.22-gentoo-r8/net/ath_ha1.ko): invalid module format
    >> Warning : Error inserting wlan (/lib/modules/2.6.22-gentoo-r8/net/wlan.ko):
    >> invalid module format
    >> : Error inserting ath_pci (/lib/modules/2.6.22-gentoo-r8/net/ath_pci.ko) :
    >> invalid module format
    >>
    >> Can anyone point me in the right direction please so that I can resolve this
    >> error.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Darren

    > FWIW - you might try alt.os.linux.gentoo and/or comp.os.linux.networking.

    Thank you, will re-post there.

  5. Re: Wireless Woes

    > I e-mailed one of the Linux forums and was asked if I had run 'modprobe
    > ath-pci' which I hadn't. When I do I get the following result:
    >
    > Warning: Error inserting ath_ha1
    > (/lib/modules/2.6.22-gentoo-r8/net/ath_ha1.ko): invalid module format
    > Warning : Error inserting wlan (/lib/modules/2.6.22-gentoo-r8/net/wlan.ko):
    > invalid module format
    > : Error inserting ath_pci (/lib/modules/2.6.22-gentoo-r8/net/ath_pci.ko) :
    > invalid module format
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the right direction please so that I can resolvethis
    > error.

    IIRC, that error occurs when the module you're trying to insert is
    compiled for a different kernel version than the one you're running.
    Perhaps try to run a "make modules && make modules_install" in your most
    recent Linux kernel folder (Should be linked to by the /usr/src/linux
    symlink)

  6. Re: Wireless Woes

    "Alexander Krivács Schrĝder" wrote in message
    news:4728fa3d$0$16459$c5fe31e7@reader.usenet4all.s e...

    Can I thanks everyone who responded to me on this.

    I posted to one of the Gentoo forums and had a couple of responses which I
    am about to see if I can implement. Ended up initially trying to upgrade my
    Kernel but lot's of googling has suggested that this wasn't the thing to do.

    I am preparing to re-compile my original Kernel (2.6.22-r8) and then I will
    do a make modules && make modules_install. Following this I will follow the
    madwifi guide again and see how far I get.

    BTW I do have PC Linux on my 1st HDD, Gentoo is on a 2nd disk. The main
    reason for installing it was to see if I could get a test of Cisco Netflow
    Tools working. I had some compile errors a while ago on Suse and a friend
    recommended Gentoo to me. I know it's going to take me a long time to learn
    Linux but I'm patient!

    Regards

    Darren

  7. Re: Wireless Woes

    Darren Green wrote:
    > "Alexander Krivács Schrĝder" wrote in message
    > news:4728fa3d$0$16459$c5fe31e7@reader.usenet4all.s e...
    >
    > Can I thanks everyone who responded to me on this.
    >
    > I posted to one of the Gentoo forums and had a couple of responses which I
    > am about to see if I can implement. Ended up initially trying to upgrade my
    > Kernel but lot's of googling has suggested that this wasn't the thing to do.
    >
    > I am preparing to re-compile my original Kernel (2.6.22-r8) and then I will
    > do a make modules && make modules_install. Following this I will follow the
    > madwifi guide again and see how far I get.

    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_MadWifi_Install

    emerge -pv madwifi-ng madwifi-ng-tools

    --

    //Aho

  8. Re: Wireless Woes

    Darren Green wrote:
    > "Alexander Krivács Schrĝder" wrote in message
    > news:4728fa3d$0$16459$c5fe31e7@reader.usenet4all.s e...
    >
    > Can I thanks everyone who responded to me on this.
    >
    > I posted to one of the Gentoo forums and had a couple of responses which I
    > am about to see if I can implement. Ended up initially trying to upgrade my
    > Kernel but lot's of googling has suggested that this wasn't the thing to do.
    >
    > I am preparing to re-compile my original Kernel (2.6.22-r8) and then I will
    > do a make modules && make modules_install. Following this I will follow the
    > madwifi guide again and see how far I get.

    http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_MadWifi_Install

    emerge -pv madwifi-ng madwifi-ng-tools

    --

    //Aho