Troubleshooting connection loss (novice question) - Networking

This is a discussion on Troubleshooting connection loss (novice question) - Networking ; I run Fedora 7 and use Verizon DSL. My modem is a Westell 6100-E90 modem/router. My DSL connection usually runs well, but about once every seven to ten days I lose my Internet connection. I can regain my connection by ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

  1. Troubleshooting connection loss (novice question)

    I run Fedora 7 and use Verizon DSL. My modem is a Westell 6100-E90
    modem/router. My DSL connection usually runs well, but about once every
    seven to ten days I lose my Internet connection. I can regain my
    connection by rebooting Fedora. I've not been able to regain my Internet
    connection without a reboot (e.g. "service network restart" hangs).

    I'm trying to troubleshoot this loss of connection. I've collected a
    bunch of troubleshooting info. I'd like to know what is the next
    troubleshooting step.

    Following is what I've got so far:

    Modem status: the DSL LED is solid green. The Internet and Ethernet
    LED's are blinking green. I interpret this as meaning that I've not lost
    sync, and that the modem is actually transmitting data to the Internet.

    NIC LEDs: NIC is Intel Pro/100 M with two LEDs. The LEDs are both lit.
    The 100Mb LED is solid green. The LINK/ACT LED is blinking green. The
    status of these LEDs is the same as when I have an Internet connection.

    GKrellm: The eth0 monitor shows zero activity. When I have an Internet
    connection, the eth0 monitor shows continuous activity, even when I'm
    not accessing anything.

    KNetstats monitor: (analogous to the Gnome desktop applet). This shows
    I'm disconnected. The icon has a red circle containing a white "X".

    dmesg: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

    ifconfig: eth0 UP, BROADCAST, and MULTICAST, but *not* RUNNING. IP
    address 192.168.1.47

    ethtool eth0: link detected: yes

    ping 192.168.1.47 OK

    ping 192.168.1.1 Destination host unreachable. (I don't know if there
    is any point in pinging 192.168.1.1)

    What troubleshooting step should I do next?

  2. Re: Troubleshooting connection loss (novice question)

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:15:57 GMT, Allen Weiner wrote:
    > I run Fedora 7 and use Verizon DSL. My modem is a Westell 6100-E90
    > modem/router. My DSL connection usually runs well, but about once every
    > seven to ten days I lose my Internet connection.

    My SWAG, for some reason, you are not renewing your dhcp lease in
    the modem. You might root around in the modems web page and see what
    you can see.

    > I can regain my
    > connection by rebooting Fedora. I've not been able to regain my Internet
    > connection without a reboot (e.g. "service network restart" hangs).

    Now that is odd, I would have thought it would not matter unless your fedora
    firewall gets in the way.

    Would you dump your network settings for us to look at.

    -------- standard debug network problem text/script follows: ------------
    dump_net.txt version 3.4

    If you read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    it will suggest you provide any information about your setup which might
    help troubleshoot your problem. Example, internet connection type,
    (cable, adsl,,,), it's hardware, (vendor/model of the modem).
    Maybe that your system is hooked to a hub/switch/router and type of
    hookup, (ethernet,usb, wireless,...), distribution, config file values,... .

    We need to know about your network hardware and see your config settings.

    Something does not start up, try
    dmesg
    and/or look through /var/log/messages for an error message.

    If your problem is slow network give a url so we can try it.

    Once you get your network running, you may want to run xx one last time
    and save the output file for disk crash/new installs

    Might not hurt to save xx for one of a network debugging checklist steps.

    The following ambidexterous script is for suse, mandriva, ubuntu, kubuntu
    and will dump your hardware status, network settings and config files used
    in network setup. We need that information to troubleshoot your problem.

    If you are having to use windows to access Usenet:
    Format a diskette on the windows system.

    Copy the following xx.txt script into xx.txt using notepad.exe
    then save xx.txt to the diskette/cd/usb stick.

    To get the script results back to Windows and
    none of the above hardware works, you can use http://www.fs-driver.org/
    If you do not want some malware writting to linux. You can replace it
    with http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/ which does not
    provide write access, if you have not created a FAT partition to
    exchange files between OSs.
    I do recommend removinguninstalling the windows/linux file system
    driver after you get the linux network up.

    Makes your Windows AntiVirus scanner run much faster after removal.

    Also, if logged into windows, it would be nice to include your windows
    network settings. Click up a Prompt/cmd/terminal and add in contents from
    ipconfig /all
    when you reply with linux settings.

    If using linux for usenet access, su - root, copy script text into xx
    chmod +x xx
    ./xx

    and include a.txt (if on linux) or dosa.txt (if on windows) in your reply.

    NOTE: to become root, you need to do a
    su - root
    not su root

    For the suse, ubuntu, kubuntu users,
    sudo -i
    chmod +x xx
    sudo xx

    exit will exit the sudo -i command.

    If xx is not in your home directory, you will have to provide the full
    path in place of $HOME. Example:
    sudo -i
    chmod +x /some/where/xx
    /some/where/xx

    ------------------ Script starts below this line -----------------------
    #!/bin/bash
    #******** start of xx.txt script ****************

    _fn=a.txt
    _out_fn=$PWD/$_fn
    _dos_fn=$PWD/dos${_fn}
    _home=$PWD

    function cat_fn
    {
    _fn=$1
    if [ -f $_fn ] ; then
    _count=$(stat -c %s $_fn )
    if [ $_count -gt 0 ] ; then
    echo ======== cat $_fn ========== >> $_out_fn
    cat $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi
    fi
    } # end cat_fn

    function grep_fn
    {
    _fn=$1
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    _count=$(stat -c %s $_fn )
    if [ $_count -gt 0 ] ; then
    _count=$(grep -v '^#' $_fn | wc -l)
    if [ $_count -gt 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== grep -v '^#' $_fn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    if [ "$_fn" != "shorewall.conf" ] ; then
    grep -v '^#' $_fn >> $_out_fn
    else
    awk 'empty{if (!/^#/) print; empty=0} /^$/{empty=1}' $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi
    fi
    fi
    fi
    } # end grep_fn

    function ls_dir
    {
    _dr=$1
    if [ -d $_dr ] ; then
    echo "========= cd $_dr ; ls -al ========" >> $_out_fn
    cd $_dr
    ls -al >> $_out_fn
    fi
    } # end ls_dir

    function tail_fn
    {
    _fn=$1
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    echo "======== tail -18 $_fn ==========" >> $_out_fn
    tail -18 $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi
    } # end tail_fn

    #********************************
    # check if commands are in $PATH
    # and if not add them path to $PATH
    #********************************

    _path=""
    type ifconfig > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
    _path="${_path}/sbin:"
    fi

    type cat > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
    _path="${_path}/bin:"
    fi

    type id > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -ne 0 ] ; then
    _path="${_path}/usr/bin:"
    fi

    if [ -n "$_path" ] ; then
    PATH=${_path}$PATH
    export PATH
    fi

    #********************************
    # check if root and logged in correctly
    #********************************

    _uid=$(id --user)

    if [ $_uid -ne 0 ] ; then
    echo " "
    echo "You need to be root to run $0"
    echo "CLick up a terminal and do the following:"
    echo " "
    echo "su - root"
    echo "$PWD/xx"
    exit 1
    fi

    root_flg=1

    if [ -n "$LOGNAME" ] ; then
    if [ "$LOGNAME" != "root" ] ; then
    root_flg=0
    fi
    fi

    if [ -n "$USER" ] ; then
    if [ "$USER" != "root" ] ; then
    root_flg=0
    fi
    fi

    if [ $root_flg -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo " "
    echo "Guessing you did a su root"
    echo "instead of a su - root"
    echo "please exit/logout of this session and do the following:"
    echo " "
    echo "su - root"
    echo "$PWD/xx"
    echo " "
    exit 1
    fi

    #********************************
    # main code starts here
    #********************************

    echo "Working, output will be in $_out_fn "

    date > $_out_fn
    chmod 666 $_out_fn

    if [ -n "$_path" ] ; then
    echo ======== echo $PATH ========== >> $_out_fn
    echo $PATH >> $_out_fn 2>&1
    fi

    cat_fn /etc/product.id

    echo ======== cat /etc/*release ========== >> $_out_fn
    cat /etc/*release >> $_out_fn 2>&1

    echo ======== uname -rvi ============= >> $_out_fn
    uname -rvi >> $_out_fn

    echo ======== cat /etc/*version ========== >> $_out_fn
    cat /etc/*version >> $_out_fn 2>&1

    echo ======== cat /proc/version ========== >> $_out_fn
    cat /proc/*version >> $_out_fn 2>&1

    type lsb_release > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo ======== lsb_release -a ========== >> $_out_fn
    lsb_release -a >> $_out_fn 2>&1
    fi

    echo " " >> $_out_fn
    echo msec security level is $SECURE_LEVEL >> $_out_fn

    echo ======== free ========== >> $_out_fn
    free >> $_out_fn 2>&1

    type chkconfig > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo ======== chkconfig --list ========== >> $_out_fn
    for _serv in avahi named tmdns ; do
    chkconfig --list | grep -i $_serv > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "Double check if /$_serv/ needs to be disabled on boot" >> $_out_fn
    chkconfig --list | grep -i $_serv >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done

    chkconfig --list >> $_out_fn

    else
    echo ======== ls -o /etc/rcS.d/ ========== >> $_out_fn
    for _serv in avahi named tmdns ; do
    ls /etc/rcS.d/S* | grep $_serv > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "Double check if /$_serv/ needs to be disabled on boot" >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done

    ls -o /etc/rcS.d >> $_out_fn
    fi

    _fn=/etc/nsswitch.conf
    if [ -e $_fn ] ; then
    echo ======== grep hosts: $_fn ========== >> $_out_fn
    grep hosts: $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi

    grep_fn /etc/resolv.conf

    grep_fn /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head
    cat_fn /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base
    cat_fn /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail

    echo ======== hostname ========== >> $_out_fn
    hostname >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/netprofile/profiles/default/files/etc/hosts
    cat_fn /etc/hostname
    cat_fn /etc/HOSTNAME

    ls /etc/mod*.conf > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo "======== grep eth /etc/mod*.conf ==========" >> $_out_fn
    grep eth /etc/mod*.conf >> $_out_fn
    fi

    cat_fn /etc/dhclient-enter-hooks
    cat_fn /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks

    grep_fn /etc/host.conf

    echo ================ ifconfig -a =============== >> $_out_fn
    ifconfig -a >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/iftab
    cat_fn /etc/udev/rules.d/61-net_config.rules

    echo ============== route -n ================= >> $_out_fn
    route -n >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network/routes

    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network
    grep_fn /etc/mkinitramfs/initramfs.conf

    echo ============== head -15 /etc/hosts =============== >> $_out_fn
    head -15 /etc/hosts >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/network/interfaces
    cat_fn /var/run/network/ifstate

    _cmd=""
    type ethtool > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    _cmd="ethtool"
    fi

    type mii-tool > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    _cmd="mii-tool -v"
    fi

    if [ -z "$_cmd" ] ; then
    echo ======== mii-tool/ethtool NOT INSTALLED ========== >> $_out_fn
    fi

    for nic in 0 1 2 ; do

    if [ -n "$_cmd" ] ; then
    $_cmd eth$nic > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    echo ======== $_cmd eth$nic ========== >> $_out_fn
    $_cmd eth$nic >> $_out_fn
    fi
    fi

    echo ======== dmesg | grep eth$nic ========== >> $_out_fn
    dmesg | grep eth$nic >> $_out_fn

    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth$nic

    ifconfig eth$nic > /dev/null 2>&1
    if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
    set $(ifconfig eth$nic | tr [A-Z] [a-z])
    cat_fn /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth-id-$5
    fi

    tail_fn /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth${nic}.leases
    tail_fn /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth${nic}.info

    done # end for nic in 0 1 2 ; do

    _dir=/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d
    if [ -d $_dir ] ; then
    ls_dir $_dir

    for _d in "if-up.d" "if-down.d" "if-pre-up.d" "if-post-down.d" ; do
    echo ==== cd /etc/network/${_d} ; ls -al === >> $_out_fn
    cd /etc/network/${_d}
    ls -al >> $_out_fn
    done
    fi

    if [ -d /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts ] ; then
    for _d in "ifdown.d" "ifup.d" ; do
    _cmd="cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/${_d} ; ls -al "
    echo "===== $_cmd ====" >> $_out_fn
    cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/${_d}
    ls -al >> $_out_fn
    done
    fi

    ls_dir /etc/dhcp3/dhclient-exit-hooks.d
    ls_dir /etc/resolvconf/update.d

    if [ -d /etc/shorewall ] ; then
    _count=$(chkconfig --list shorewall | grep -c n )
    if [ $_count -gt 0 ] ; then
    echo "======= Shorewall settings =========" >> $_out_fn
    cd /etc/shorewall
    for _f in $(ls) ; do
    echo "======= $_f =========" >> $_out_fn
    grep_fn $_f
    done
    fi
    fi

    cd $_home

    grep_fn /etc/hosts.allow
    grep_fn /etc/hosts.deny
    echo "======= end of config/network data dump ===========" >> $_out_fn

    awk '{print $0 "\r" }' $_out_fn > $_dos_fn
    chmod 666 $_dos_fn

    echo " "
    echo "If posting via linux, post contents of $_out_fn"
    echo "You might want to copy it to your account with the command"
    echo "cp $_out_fn ~your_login"
    echo " "
    echo "If posting via windows, post contents of $_dos_fn"
    echo " "
    echo "If using diskette,"
    echo "Copy $_dos_fn to diskette with the following commands:"
    echo " "
    echo "mkdir -p /floppy"
    echo "mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /floppy"
    echo "cp $_dos_fn /floppy"
    echo "umount /floppy "
    echo " "
    echo "and $_dos_fn is ready for windows from diskette"
    echo " "

    #*********** end of dump xx.txt script *********
    ----------- script ends above this line --------------------------------------

    and then copy xx.txt to the diskette.

    On some linux distributions, you may need to get into the User/Group
    screen, show all users, double click root, create the password, and
    enable root. Root's password should never be the same as anyone elses.

    To move xx.txt from diskette to the linux box, click up a linux terminal
    su - root
    (root's passwd)

    mkdir -p /floppy
    mount -t auto /dev/fd0 /floppy
    tr -d '\015' < /floppy/xx.txt > xx
    chmod +x xx
    ../xx

    Back on the windows OS, you can cut/paste the a:\dosa.txt into your reply
    under windows.
    Do not attach it.

    When you do reply, please remove/trim my response/text/script from your reply
    before you add in the results/output of the script.

    If you are dual booting the box, you can copy xx.txt to linux from windows.
    Note: The following assumes /dev/hda1 is where windows is installed on the
    first partition on the C: drive
    If you have sata drive, you may have to use /dev/sda1 instead of /dev/hda1.

    cat /etc/fstab to see which value will be required.
    Do keep quotes used in the following:
    mkdir -p /doze
    mount -t auto /dev/hda1 /doze
    tr -d '\015' < "/doze/whever/you_saved/xx.txt" > xx
    umount /doze

    On windows you can read dosa.txt from a linux partition if you installed
    windows linux filesystem driver from
    http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

    Remember to remove/uninstall it to allow your Windows AntiVirus
    scanner to run faster.

  3. Re: Troubleshooting connection loss (novice question)

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:15:57 GMT, Allen Weiner wrote:
    >> I run Fedora 7 and use Verizon DSL. My modem is a Westell 6100-E90
    >> modem/router. My DSL connection usually runs well, but about once every
    >> seven to ten days I lose my Internet connection.

    > My SWAG, for some reason, you are not renewing your dhcp lease in
    > the modem. You might root around in the modems web page and see what
    > you can see.
    >
    >> I can regain my
    >> connection by rebooting Fedora. I've not been able to regain my Internet
    >> connection without a reboot (e.g. "service network restart" hangs).

    > Now that is odd, I would have thought it would not matter unless your fedora
    > firewall gets in the way.
    >
    > Would you dump your network settings for us to look at.
    >
    > -------- standard debug network problem text/script follows: ------------
    > dump_net.txt version 3.4
    >

    > If you read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    > it will suggest you provide any information about your setup which might
    > help troubleshoot your problem. Example, internet connection type,
    > (cable, adsl,,,), it's hardware, (vendor/model of the modem).
    > Maybe that your system is hooked to a hub/switch/router and type of
    > hookup, (ethernet,usb, wireless,...), distribution, config file values,... .
    >
    > We need to know about your network hardware and see your config settings.

    Modem is Westell 6100-E90 DSL modem/router. No other networking
    hardware. OS is Fedora 7.

    (I don't know what SWAG stands for). About DHCP lease, I power off my
    DSL modem every day at the end of a session. The loss of connection
    tends to occur about two hours into the session. (Wondering about a
    misbehaving cron job.).After the failure occurs, I'm unable to access
    the modem. (Firefox: browse http://192.168.1.1)

    Following is the a.txt from the xx script. To conserve bandwidth, I
    edited out from the mii-tool results pages and pages of data on ethernet
    transmissions. (This is not at time of failure.)

    Mon Oct 29 17:49:45 EDT 2007
    ======== cat /etc/fedora-release /etc/redhat-release ==========
    Fedora release 7 (Moonshine)
    Fedora release 7 (Moonshine)
    ======== uname -rvi =============
    2.6.22.9-91.fc7 #1 SMP Thu Sep 27 23:10:59 EDT 2007 i386
    ======== cat /etc/subversion ==========
    cat: /etc/subversion: Is a directory
    ======== cat /proc/version ==========
    Linux version 2.6.22.9-91.fc7
    (kojibuilder@xenbuilder1.fedora.redhat.com) (gcc version 4.1.2 20070502
    (Red Hat 4.1.2-12)) #1 SMP Thu Sep 27 23:10:59 EDT 2007
    ======== lsb_release -a ==========
    LSB Version:
    :core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-ia32:graphics-3.1-noarch
    Distributor ID: Fedora
    Release: 7
    Codename: Moonshine

    msec security level is
    ======== free ==========
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 125192 119500 5692 0 2232 38200
    -/+ buffers/cache: 79068 46124
    Swap: 771080 273892 497188
    ======== chkconfig --list ==========
    Double check if /avahi/ needs to be disabled on boot
    avahi-daemon 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    avahi-dnsconfd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    Double check if /named/ needs to be disabled on boot
    named 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    ConsoleKit 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    NetworkManager 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    NetworkManagerDispatcher 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    acpid 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    anacron 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    apmd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    atd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    autofs 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    avahi-daemon 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    avahi-dnsconfd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    bluetooth 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    capi 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    cpuspeed 0ff 1n 2n 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    crond 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    cups 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    dhcdbd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    dund 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    firestarter 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    firstboot 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4ff 5ff 6ff
    gkrellmd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    gpm 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    haldaemon 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    hddtemp 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5n 6ff
    hidd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    hplip 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    httpd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    ip6tables 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    iptables 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5n 6ff
    irda 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    irqbalance 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    isdn 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    kdump 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    kudzu 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    lisa 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    lm_sensors 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    mcstrans 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    mdmonitor 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    messagebus 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    named 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    nasd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    netconsole 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    netfs 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    netplugd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    network 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    nfs 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    nfslock 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    nscd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    ntpd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5n 6ff
    pand 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    psacct 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    rdisc 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    readahead_early 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    readahead_later 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5n 6ff
    restorecond 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    rpcbind 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    rpcgssd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    rpcidmapd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    rpcsvcgssd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    saslauthd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    sendmail 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    smartd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    spamassassin 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    sshd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    syslog 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    tomcat5 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    vncserver 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    winbind 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    wpa_supplicant 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    xfs 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    ypbind 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    yum-updatesd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    ======== grep hosts: /etc/nsswitch.conf ==========
    #hosts: db files nisplus nis dns
    hosts: files dns
    ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/resolv.conf ==========
    ; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
    search myhome.westell.com
    nameserver 192.168.1.1
    nameserver 192.168.1.1
    ======== hostname ==========
    localhost.localdomain
    ======== grep eth /etc/mod*.conf ==========
    alias eth0 e100
    ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/host.conf ==========
    order hosts,bind
    ================ ifconfig -a ===============
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:07:E9:01:B2:09
    inet addr:192.168.1.47 Bcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::207:e9ff:fe01:b209/64 Scope:Link
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:6039195 (5.7 MiB) TX bytes:1541446 (1.4 MiB)

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:6058422 (5.7 MiB) TX bytes:6058422 (5.7 MiB)

    ============== route -n =================
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
    Iface
    192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
    ======== cat /etc/sysconfig/network ==========
    NETWORKING=yes
    HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain
    ============== head -15 /etc/hosts ===============
    ======== mii-tool -v eth0 ==========
    eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD, link ok
    product info: Intel 82555 rev 4
    basic mode: autonegotiation enabled
    basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
    capabilities: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
    advertising: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
    flow-control
    link partner: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
    IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    ID=8835 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1288 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    ID=8836 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1288 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    < snip tons of same. saved on a.txt if needed>

    ======== cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 ==========
    # Intel Corporation 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100]
    DEVICE=eth0
    ONBOOT=yes
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    HWADDR=00:07:e9:01:b2:09
    TYPE=Ethernet
    USERCTL=no
    IPV6INIT=no
    PEERDNS=yes
    ===== cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdown.d ; ls -al ====
    total 4432
    drwxr-x--- 44 root root 16384 2007-10-29 17:49 .
    drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4096 2007-10-29 13:51 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2006-11-04 21:29 Acroreadrpms
    -rw------- 1 root root 824 2006-07-26 23:43 anaconda-ks.cfg
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 137098 2007-10-29 17:49 a.txt
    -rw------- 1 root root 14166 2007-10-29 13:48 .bash_history
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 24 2006-07-12 20:06 .bash_logout
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 191 2006-07-12 20:06 .bash_profile
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 176 2006-07-12 20:06 .bashrc
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2007-06-19 11:32 .config
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 100 2006-07-12 20:06 .cshrc
    drwx------ 3 root root 4096 2007-07-17 11:18 .dbus
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-07-09 10:29 Desktop
    srwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2006-08-09 19:09 .Devhelp.root
    -rw------- 1 root root 37 2007-05-09 21:48 .dmrc
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-06-18 20:04 Documents
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-06-18 20:04 Download
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6735 2007-06-21 17:20 eclipsefail
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3436 2007-06-27 16:46 eclipsegroupinstall
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5257 2007-06-21 17:44 eclipsegroupupdate
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 73728 2007-06-27 17:20 eclipseinstallJun27
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 24614 2007-06-24 13:31 eclipseJun24
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3887 2006-11-02 16:13 eclipsepde
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5177 2007-05-30 14:31 eclipsepdeupdate
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4448 2007-06-27 16:43 eclipseremove
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-07-09 10:31 Eclipserpms
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 209 2007-05-30 14:11 eclipseupdate
    drwxr-x--- 2 root root 4096 2006-07-27 23:06 .eggcups
    -rw------- 1 root root 16 2006-07-27 23:30 .esd_auth
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4020 2007-07-09 13:31 ethtest1~
    drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 2006-07-29 22:36 .evolution
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-07-09 10:31 firefoxrpms
    drwx------ 4 root root 4096 2007-10-28 07:03 .gconf
    drwx------ 2 root root 4096 2007-10-28 07:52 .gconfd
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 2006-09-05 07:56 .gkrellm2
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 416 2006-08-08 20:33 .glade2
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2006-07-27 23:06 .gnome
    drwx------ 12 root root 4096 2007-03-27 14:22 .gnome2
    drwx------ 2 root root 4096 2006-07-27 23:06 .gnome2_private
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 52390 2007-07-16 22:33 gnomereplace
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4814 2007-05-30 14:07 gnomeupdate
    drwx------ 3 root root 4096 2007-07-09 10:29 .gnupg
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-07-17 11:21 .gstreamer-0.10
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 128 2006-07-27 23:06 .gtkrc-1.2-gnome2
    -rw------- 1 root root 0 2007-10-29 17:49 .ICEauthority
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 36325 2006-07-26 23:43 install.log
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4156 2006-07-26 23:23 install.log.syslog
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-06-21 12:38 K3brpms
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2006-10-30 14:58 .kde
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-07-09 10:31 KDErpms
    -rwxr-xr-- 1 root root 670 2006-10-18 11:26 KDEScript
    -rwxr-xr-- 1 root root 676 2006-10-18 11:25 KDEScript~
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3887 2006-11-02 14:06 kdeupdate
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-07-09 10:32 kernelrpms
    -rw------- 1 root root 35 2007-10-28 17:33 .lesshst
    drwx------ 3 root root 4096 2006-09-22 14:30 .local
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3098 2006-08-23 21:49 .mailcap
    -rw------- 1 root root 657379 2007-02-23 13:26 mbox
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2006-11-05 21:44 .mcop
    drwx------ 3 root root 4096 2006-07-27 23:06 .metacity
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 496 2006-10-31 19:53 minicom.log
    drwx------ 3 root root 4096 2006-08-09 19:09 .mozilla
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-07-09 10:32 mozillarpms
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-06-18 20:04 Music
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2006-07-27 23:06 .nautilus
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4307 2007-05-30 14:37 ofxupdate
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2006-09-22 10:36 .openoffice.org2.0
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-07-09 10:32 openofficerpms
    -rwxr-xr-- 1 root root 429 2006-10-18 10:46 OpenOfficeScript
    -rwxr-xr-- 1 root root 429 2006-10-18 10:46 OpenOfficeScript~
    -rwxr-xr-- 1 root root 435 2006-10-18 10:42 OpenOfficeScript~~
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-06-18 20:04 Pictures
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-06-18 20:04 Public
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2006-10-30 14:57 .qt
    -rw------- 1 root root 34889 2006-09-08 15:42 .realplayerrc
    -rw------- 1 root root 28538 2007-05-15 11:12 .recently-used
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 765 2007-06-19 11:32 .recently-used.xbel
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17123 2006-09-24 23:09 scsound.log
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-07-09 10:32 tbirdrpms
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 129 2006-07-12 20:06 .tcshrc
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-06-18 20:04 Templates
    drwx------ 4 root root 4096 2006-08-08 20:36 .thumbnails
    drwx------ 3 root root 4096 2006-09-14 21:50 .thunderbird
    drwx------ 2 root root 4096 2006-08-13 13:05 .Trash
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-07-09 10:33 unrarrpms
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 57441 2007-06-17 08:08 upgrade.log
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1030 2007-06-17 06:21 upgrade.log.syslog
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-06-18 20:04 Videos
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-20 21:33 .xauth0fissA
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-28 17:49 .xauth11HTPF
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-14 14:38 .xauth11qKpw
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-07 10:20 .xauth197tmg
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-14 10:28 .xauth1BusfL
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-15 11:08 .xauth1mjnLK
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-04-20 10:33 .xauth1Roxw0
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-21 21:56 .xauth1WRAbQ
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-17 12:11 .xauth1yTV1c
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-11 13:44 .xauth27rcO6
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-17 15:08 .xauth2A1BSL
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-06 10:16 .xauth2hxcMoI

    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-12 17:39 .xauth2Yuoky
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-21 19:54 .xauth3BZn0V
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-11 16:17 .xauth3hp2aR
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-04-14 15:51 .xauth3rKoGt
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-24 13:17 .xauth3YjuLv
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-22 17:52 .xauth3zzC42
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-10 19:28 .xauth4bfBjr
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-14 21:25 .xauth4hYHVI
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-19 10:13 .xauth4k7XOv
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-09 10:37 .xauth4LtoD9
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-14 13:30 .xauth4mLweM
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-18 21:35 .xauth4RaUR6
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-23 19:52 .xauth4SQH5T
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-10 12:56 .xauth4SQNje
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-21 15:59 .xauth52YZDf
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-13 12:58 .xauth55ppaO
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-04-20 13:28 .xauth5wmIJN
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-22 20:49 .xauth624vtE
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-01 10:36 .xauth6eU8WP
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-17 11:13 .xauth6nBODG
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-02 23:43 .xauth6pJTig
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-18 14:10 .xauth6qJ6ko
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-21 15:33 .xauth6QTooY
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-03-30 13:07 .xauth6RDIgS
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-16 16:16 .xauth6uRa1P
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-08 20:35 .xauth71CuEq
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-25 16:55 .xauth753Le9
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-29 20:57 .xauth7FT8Mx
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-17 16:25 .xauth7NGb9H
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-12 09:52 .xauth8412kp
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-29 21:06 .xauth86rGXm
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-15 13:59 .xauth8cxvaq
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-25 10:36 .xauth8uUxIi
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-21 10:42 .xauth9cbl1K
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-20 21:31 .xauth9CTIgf
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-26 16:25 .xauth9KnAHw
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-27 13:53 .xauth9o5TCv
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-04-29 10:40 .xauthA09dPH
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-07 17:10 .xautha6k97W
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-10 10:15 .xauthAcIXeu
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-13 12:57 .xauthadHYDq
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-04-24 10:43 .xauthaGZcIX
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-31 11:54 .xauthak1itf
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-22 14:50 .xauthApGyJp
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-22 14:18 .xauthaQpdVt
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-27 20:49 .xauthArMXeL
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-08 10:46 .xauthasw8v0
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-12 13:28 .xauthaSxSuD
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-06 13:01 .xauthaWF1Ws
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-15 14:02 .xauthAxLp80
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-01 14:11 .xauthAy5bTt
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-20 14:02 .xauthB6xd77
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-19 16:13 .xauthBfiIif
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-19 13:55 .xauthBh545B
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-27 10:38 .xauthbkdIfo
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-29 10:36 .xauthBKmHuk
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-07 17:01 .xauthbSdGVF
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-19 10:24 .xauthbuQYWq
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-11 09:11 .xauthBUT0e4
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-13 10:39 .xauthBX5s6l
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-17 11:51 .xauthc8Jgqz
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-21 13:30 .xauthC8pRKD
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-01 10:31 .xauthCeJCMn
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-29 13:13 .xauthCgHevB
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-04 20:41 .xauthCHFbGo
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-16 14:26 .xauthcjPPMK
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-31 11:03 .xauthCuDm6k
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-03-31 14:12 .xauthcXX1Ac
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-12 21:10 .xauthCY128T
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-17 13:35 .xauthd4k8Mu
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-03 14:13 .xauthd66mAc
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-15 12:49 .xauthdaxFEh
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-15 21:27 .xauthdBdnae
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-06 11:45 .xauthdci2Jn
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-30 13:17 .xauthddAeFa
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-11 21:03 .xauthdedc3G
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-03 10:18 .xauthDEPBVq
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-25 14:39 .xauthDkQsde
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-27 16:38 .xauthDly82H
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-28 21:06 .xauthdTzxCp
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-03 13:41 .xauthE8fmJT
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-25 17:08 .xauthE8lQDn
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-14 17:29 .xauthEGMHMA
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2006-12-06 17:17 .xautheODBTU
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-27 21:53 .xauthEOYj4U
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-19 20:51 .xauthEsrX5j
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-04-16 14:09 .xauthEtSDNo
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-26 16:15 .xauthEv6vmt
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-07 17:24 .xautheW6YbL
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-30 12:29 .xautheZy4K3
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-03 10:28 .xauthF0B8f8
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-02 10:43 .xauthF6MZ0t
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-16 10:39 .xauthfDCY5h
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-31 13:37 .xauthfFfVPn
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-12 14:58 .xauthFHDRZB
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-09 10:57 .xauthFhOLh5
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-17 11:05 .xauthfKgHPm
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-09 21:56 .xauthFOFFNY
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-09 16:07 .xauthFSdDqI
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-19 11:30 .xauthFTnXI8
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-02 12:53 .xauthfu6Q4b
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-13 21:09 .xauthfy4MYw
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-10 10:38 .xauthfZyFVl
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-04-19 09:42 .xauthg5gJB0
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-09 13:43 .xauthG65uyf
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-20 10:21 .xauthG6MgNS
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-06 10:32 .xauthG9wkoa
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-04 11:23 .xauthGEEmvW
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-18 16:01 .xauthGfBCAB
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-26 11:01 .xauthglfIb7
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-14 13:27 .xauthgncjK2
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-26 11:47 .xauthgqaU9w
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-17 13:15 .xauthGqs8Gs
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-24 13:28 .xauthgRcNbp
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-28 11:15 .xauthgvs171
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-29 13:05 .xauthh2Esvh
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-07 13:36 .xauthH61wVB
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-06 16:01 .xauthH70HOh
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-20 21:42 .xauthhfExoO
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-19 12:54 .xauthHFzMVy
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-01 13:05 .xauthhitZtP
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-03 13:09 .xauthhIzirO
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-11 10:45 .xauthHNAxbO
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-14 18:01 .xauthhNBqYa
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-04-27 19:57 .xauthHNl0sq
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-04 10:44 .xauthhNLM4y
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-07 12:50 .xauthHrF5sL
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-17 14:16 .xauthHRsBxm
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-24 14:44 .xauthhUbFWf
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-25 14:37 .xauthhVMTx4
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-26 13:48 .xauthhxpNWM
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-09 21:02 .xauthHzeuFI
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-16 12:08 .xauthi6sKVx
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-28 10:13 .xauthIcLNFH
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-20 09:26 .xauthIhBRsU
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-27 13:30 .xauthihQCnI
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-18 21:18 .xauthimAv13
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-08 11:53 .xauthIobb1X
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-02 20:14 .xauthiov55F
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-25 10:12 .xauthIqeyj5
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-12 17:15 .xauthiTOOCu
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-24 10:26 .xauthiU3YaG
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-14 13:03 .xauthIVAB76
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-07 13:33 .xauthiwXrNM
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-07 16:16 .xauthJ5sahx
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-21 22:03 .xauthJ9vzG5
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-26 19:45 .xauthjb7rlC
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-06 12:58 .xauthjDSmuP
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-03-29 11:07 .xauthjgxwdx
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-19 11:07 .xauthJL2Nq8
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-20 20:09 .xauthjQRf6w
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-18 09:42 .xauthjTjBeX
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-01 15:31 .xauthjvENK3
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-23 13:33 .xauthKbW03r
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-06 14:21 .xauthkIQTYG
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-13 07:00 .xauthKjlKFX
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-22 21:12 .xauthKkyoQA
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-25 16:23 .xauthKMqQWh
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-27 14:23 .xauthKnUihN
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-21 15:57 .xauthKpNy0u
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-12 23:12 .xauthkrCpNC
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-09 07:08 .xauthKY2Csu
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-27 21:32 .xauthL2KdOm
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-26 13:01 .xauthL5Mr42
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-25 08:50 .xauthL61pjD
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-25 11:36 .xauthL8g0zd
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-27 12:57 .xauthLf4wGZ
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2006-12-10 18:18 .xauthli367n
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-24 13:13 .xauthLiQstp
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-13 12:49 .xauthlj3a8V
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-21 10:10 .xauthlLUnMi
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-26 12:50 .xauthLQLvpF
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-11 12:48 .xauthLR19mV
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-17 09:57 .xauthlsKpGb
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-04-11 15:19 .xauthLW0SyO
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-13 10:29 .xauthM4q0wl
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-26 10:20 .xauthm8GWkj
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-12 17:30 .xauthmDGJjH
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-05 20:44 .xauthmFzQm2
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-03 06:42 .xauthMkXnVf
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-20 19:07 .xauthmSmvAZ
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-31 20:16 .xauthMSQ22X
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-04-26 09:09 .xauthmu783p
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-26 10:08 .xauthmuGkwD
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-13 13:45 .xauthmv06uq
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-16 23:04 .xauthmX06w2
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-03 10:33 .xauthmXbYOz
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-16 22:27 .xauthn34aZc
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-30 15:24 .xauthN7FfZo
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-24 09:59 .xauthnAPoaB
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-16 15:29 .xauthNj2EcZ
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-07 15:56 .xauthNkzJDV
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-29 15:28 .xauthnRVDr4
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-18 20:42 .xauthNSleVv
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-02 10:15 .xauthnwr5xB
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-29 10:55 .xauthnZ48dZ
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-01 14:46 .xautho0IUF1
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-13 06:41 .xautho0yBll
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-15 21:29 .xautho7msGW
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-16 10:03 .xauthOewVVQ
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-04-25 10:25 .xauthoI1DGJ
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-04 21:02 .xauthOiOGUY
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-02 11:17 .xauthoIrGNd
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-03-27 14:21 .xauthok8eL9
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-30 10:18 .xauthoMfhBD
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-15 20:22 .xauthoMotjL
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-06 00:00 .xauthOMQQp4
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-15 20:16 .xauthomVz8b
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-25 14:04 .xauthoNxtbQ
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-10 15:09 .xauthooEVNN
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-26 11:14 .xauthOULknN
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-31 11:12 .xauthp9WtQl
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-17 01:25 .xauthPAqQ83
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-20 21:25 .xauthPEWodh
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-23 15:17 .xauthpFoVTo
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-29 08:49 .xauthpg3SSt
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-30 19:19 .xauthPozl0o
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-15 10:55 .xauthpqyGsb
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-13 09:27 .xauthpTIDcP
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-26 10:57 .xauthpWQEpP
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-01 15:26 .xauthPx6yji
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-23 14:27 .xauthqbClVi
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-21 19:33 .xauthqO4jFz
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-25 21:04 .xauthQqYpqs
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-24 19:04 .xauthQyp5ll
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-14 22:02 .xauthQznciX
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-13 14:50 .xauthR9ElP2
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-04-23 10:15 .xauthrdqKL2
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-14 19:43 .xauthRegNer
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-07 07:04 .xauthRfNYFN
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-06 12:58 .xauthRiZm5u
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-22 14:07 .xauthRp4Dbs
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-19 17:18 .xauthRRLoXy
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-13 13:13 .xauthrszFSP
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-26 14:03 .xauthrtPCb5
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-03 13:32 .xauthrVEZEB
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-20 21:35 .xauthrxiz4b
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-05 10:13 .xauthRZmasB
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-09 13:18 .xauths54cz6
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-05 17:50 .xauthsGGshA
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-03 14:45 .xauthShvOzW
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-12 10:12 .xauthsjgDuE
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-04-17 15:56 .xauthskKyqm
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-03-28 09:33 .xauthSSBAps
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-25 15:05 .xauthSuD5OK
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-04-30 12:58 .xauthT2Gik0
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-27 11:23 .xautht35SYA
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-27 14:19 .xauthtBGWJM
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-19 10:50 .xauthtCknVg
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-01 21:12 .xauthtdKlWK
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-14 17:04 .xauthTF1DMv
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-05 17:05 .xauthtkD3H3
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-26 10:16 .xauthTkQcF3
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-04-13 11:18 .xauthtPngqu
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-24 13:29 .xauthTuhpLW
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-15 12:59 .xauthU0sqEe
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-08 10:51 .xauthu5cnFh
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-02 10:03 .xauthu6m1Is
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-18 10:11 .xauthu8SOXS
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-11 13:24 .xauthUgIJI9
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-28 07:03 .xauthujNbqW
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-24 13:40 .xauthuLfalz
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-25 11:58 .xauthUnkzl3
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-18 20:57 .xauthUSCUI6
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-04-21 10:13 .xauthUtT4x9
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-06 10:55 .xauthuVNV3b
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-11 10:33 .xauthUz6JVz
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-16 11:21 .xauthv2cnED
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-12 13:15 .xauthvaFA11
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-28 17:26 .xauthVKJeEq
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-25 17:14 .xauthVm3yqo
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-19 23:14 .xauthvm9fL6
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-01 15:40 .xauthVMxBxz
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-02 20:03 .xauthVt1VcG
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-27 11:06 .xauthvygFdx
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-14 23:13 .xauthwnawCJ
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-11 21:28 .xauthWPEu7g
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-07 21:11 .xauthWSjNub
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-13 20:09 .xauthwt7Ido
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-04-08 16:01 .xauthwV3PqN
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-27 16:50 .xauthwwucUT
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-12 17:07 .xauthWXYuDD
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-06 21:07 .xauthx0y7KR
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-22 15:00 .xauthxes4Eb
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-12 13:40 .xauthxeuz67
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-09 10:38 .xauthxLcHZ9
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-26 15:16 .xauthXlkntS
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-10-29 17:47 .xauthXmHyJ9
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-05 20:33 .xauthxoCO3v
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-04 23:19 .xauthXpKl9I
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-12 16:04 .xauthXVByAm
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-09 21:53 .xauthXXDx0c
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-05 14:09 .xauthy3Bmzy
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2006-12-06 15:18 .xauthYaOeib
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-30 14:53 .xauthYCsrSO
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-16 11:04 .xauthyH8hA9
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-09 16:19 .xauthYM1ZPv
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-14 14:00 .xauthYRFAnw
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-22 17:34 .xauthyuTgYx
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-04-28 15:12 .xauthYXet9o
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-24 17:30 .xauthZ4SIrB
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-05-10 10:08 .xauthzAf6va
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-09 10:22 .xauthZcRTIw
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-08-24 10:47 .xauthzDYbrF
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-06-16 21:17 .xauthzHku2k
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-29 16:13 .xauthZnzXeq
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-09-03 15:59 .xauthzo3NT7
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-04-22 10:25 .xauthZTEi8L
    -rw------- 1 root root 66 2007-07-21 21:07 .xauthZxCMlv
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2006-09-01 15:11 .xmms
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 7878 2007-10-29 17:49 xx
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2006-09-22 14:33 yumupdates
    ===== cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup.d ; ls -al ====
    total 4456
    drwxr-x--- 44 root root 16384 2007-10-29 17:49 .
    drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4096 2007-10-29 13:51 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2006-11-04 21:29 Acroreadrpms
    -rw------- 1 root root 824 2006-07-26 23:43 anaconda-ks.cfg
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 162121 2007-10-29 17:49 a.txt
[...]
    ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/hosts.allow ==========

    ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/hosts.deny ==========

    ======= end of config/network data dump ===========

  4. Re: Troubleshooting connection loss (novice question)

    Allen Weiner wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:15:57 GMT, Allen Weiner wrote:
    >>
    >>> I run Fedora 7 and use Verizon DSL. My modem is a Westell 6100-E90
    >>> modem/router. My DSL connection usually runs well, but about once
    >>> every seven to ten days I lose my Internet connection.

    >> My SWAG, for some reason, you are not renewing your dhcp lease in
    >> the modem. You might root around in the modems web page and see what
    >> you can see.
    >>
    >>> I can regain my connection by rebooting Fedora. I've not been able to
    >>> regain my Internet connection without a reboot (e.g. "service network
    >>> restart" hangs).

    >> Now that is odd, I would have thought it would not matter unless your
    >> fedora
    >> firewall gets in the way.
    >>
    >> Would you dump your network settings for us to look at.

    Here:

    (-- extra clipped, TV --)

    > IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    > SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    > ID=8835 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1288 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

    > Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    > SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    > ID=8836 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1288 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

    Your firewall is cutting your router (and all external
    traffic via default gateway) off.

    It is a good question why the router is attempting to
    connect to the HTTP port of your computer.

    The (cut-off) rest of the same porridge may have further
    clues on what's going on.

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  5. Re: Troubleshooting connection loss (novice question)

    Tauno Voipio wrote:
    > Allen Weiner wrote:
    >> Bit Twister wrote:

    >>> My SWAG, for some reason, you are not renewing your dhcp lease in
    >>> the modem. You might root around in the modems web page and see what
    >>> you can see.

    >>> Now that is odd, I would have thought it would not matter unless your
    >>> fedora
    >>> firewall gets in the way.
    >>>
    >>> Would you dump your network settings for us to look at.

    > Here:
    >
    > (-- extra clipped, TV --)
    >
    >> IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    >> SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    >> ID=8835 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1288 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

    >> Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    >> SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    >> ID=8836 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1288 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

    > Your firewall is cutting your router (and all external
    > traffic via default gateway) off.
    >
    > It is a good question why the router is attempting to
    > connect to the HTTP port of your computer.
    >
    > The (cut-off) rest of the same porridge may have further
    > clues on what's going on.

    Since I'm a novice at both networking and at Linux, I don't have any
    idea how you concluded from the two above ethernet transmissions that my
    firewall (presumably you mean my software firewall Firestarter and not
    the hardware firewall in the modem/router). Please not that the above
    data was not recorded at time of connection loss. It was recorded while
    I had a functioning Internet connection, in order to display my network
    configuration, as requested in this thread by Bit-Twister.

    So. I would not be able to reach any conclusions by looking at more of
    those ethernet transmissions. But I do have stored in a file the entire
    output of the mii-tool. If you wish, I can post more of it. Tell me
    about how many transmissions would be helpful.

    For the time being, here are a few more:

    IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    ID=8835 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1288 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    ID=8836 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1288 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    ID=8853 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1289 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    ID=8854 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1289 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    ID=8855 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1289 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    ID=8872 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1290 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    ID=8873 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1290 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    ID=8874 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1290 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    ID=8891 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1291 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    ID=8892 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1291 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    ID=8893 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1291 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    ID=8910 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1292 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    ID=8911 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1292 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    ID=8912 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1292 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    ID=8929 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1293 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    ID=8930 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1293 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    ID=8931 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1293 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    ID=8948 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1294 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    ID=8949 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1294 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    ID=8951 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1294 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

  6. Re: Troubleshooting connection loss (novice question)

    Allen Weiner wrote:
    > Tauno Voipio wrote:
    >> Allen Weiner wrote:

    >> Here:
    >>
    >> (-- extra clipped, TV --)
    >>
    >>> IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    >>> SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    >>> ID=8835 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1288 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

    >>> Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    >>> SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    >>> ID=8836 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1288 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

    >> Your firewall is cutting your router (and all external
    >> traffic via default gateway) off.
    >>
    >> It is a good question why the router is attempting to
    >> connect to the HTTP port of your computer.
    >>
    >> The (cut-off) rest of the same porridge may have further
    >> clues on what's going on.
    >>

    > Since I'm a novice at both networking and at Linux, I don't have any
    > idea how you concluded from the two above ethernet transmissions that my
    > firewall (presumably you mean my software firewall Firestarter and not
    > the hardware firewall in the modem/router). Please not that the above
    > data was not recorded at time of connection loss. It was recorded while
    > I had a functioning Internet connection, in order to display my network
    > configuration, as requested in this thread by Bit-Twister.
    >
    > So. I would not be able to reach any conclusions by looking at more of
    > those ethernet transmissions. But I do have stored in a file the entire
    > output of the mii-tool. If you wish, I can post more of it. Tell me
    > about how many transmissions would be helpful.

    Your comment about my firewall cutting off my router brings the
    following thought to mind. Every day I get a logwatch report summarizing
    events logged on the previous day. The iptables report always lists
    about 1000- 2000 packets being logged. This is always a lot smaller than
    the total amount of data transmitted/received during the session. I
    never understood the significance of that report.

  7. Re: Troubleshooting connection loss (novice question)

    Allen Weiner wrote:
> [...]

    > ID=8930 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1293 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    > Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    > SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    > ID=8931 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1293 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    > Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    > SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    > ID=8948 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1294 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    > Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    > SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    > ID=8949 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1294 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    > Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    > SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    > ID=8951 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1294 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

    OK, let's split one report (picked from above):

    > Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    > SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    > ID=8836 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1288 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= <== data into the host via eth0

    MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00 <== Ethernet header:
    00:07:e9:01:b2:09 destination MAC (computer Ethernet address)
    00:18:3a:53:f7:fb source MAC (router Ethernet address)
    08:00 payload type: IP packet

    SRC=192.168.1.1 <== source IP, router
    DST=192.168.1.47 <== destination IP, computer

    LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=8836 <== IP parameters

    DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1288 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

    TCP parameters:
    - do not fragment
    - source port 1288
    - destination port 80 (HTTP / WWW)
    - receive window 8192 bytes
    - SYN packet, attempting connection
    - no urgent data

    This packet is an attempt from your router to connect to
    your computer's HTTP/WWW server, if there is any. I do not
    see why a respectable router would attempt such a thing.

    As far as I see, all of the listed packets are similar.

    The firewall may blacklist your router because of these
    attempts.

    Maybe your ISP attempts to discover if the clients are
    having webservers. Is it prohibited in the contract?

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  8. Re: Troubleshooting connection loss (novice question)

    Tauno Voipio wrote:
    > Allen Weiner wrote:
    >> Tauno Voipio wrote:

    >>> Here:
    >>>
    >>> (-- extra clipped, TV --)

    >>> Your firewall is cutting your router (and all external
    >>> traffic via default gateway) off.
    >>>
    >>> It is a good question why the router is attempting to
    >>> connect to the HTTP port of your computer.
    >>>
    >>> The (cut-off) rest of the same porridge may have further
    >>> clues on what's going on.
    >>>

    >> Since I'm a novice at both networking and at Linux, I don't have any
    >> idea how you concluded from the two above ethernet transmissions that my
    >> firewall (presumably you mean my software firewall Firestarter and not
    >> the hardware firewall in the modem/router). Please not that the above
    >> data was not recorded at time of connection loss. It was recorded
    >> while I had a functioning Internet connection, in order to display my
    >> network configuration, as requested in this thread by Bit-Twister.
    >>
    >> So. I would not be able to reach any conclusions by looking at more of
    >> those ethernet transmissions. But I do have stored in a file the
    >> entire output of the mii-tool. If you wish, I can post more of it.
    >> Tell me about how many transmissions would be helpful.
    >>
    >> For the time being, here are a few more:
    >>

    > OK, let's split one report (picked from above):
    >
    > > Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    > > SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64
    > > ID=8836 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1288 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

    > Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= <== data into the host via eth0
    >
    > MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00 <== Ethernet header:
    > 00:07:e9:01:b2:09 destination MAC (computer Ethernet address)
    > 00:18:3a:53:f7:fb source MAC (router Ethernet address)
    > 08:00 payload type: IP packet
    >
    > SRC=192.168.1.1 <== source IP, router
    > DST=192.168.1.47 <== destination IP, computer
    >
    > LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=8836 <== IP parameters
    >
    > DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1288 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    >
    > TCP parameters:
    > - do not fragment
    > - source port 1288
    > - destination port 80 (HTTP / WWW)
    > - receive window 8192 bytes
    > - SYN packet, attempting connection
    > - no urgent data
    >
    > This packet is an attempt from your router to connect to
    > your computer's HTTP/WWW server, if there is any. I do not
    > see why a respectable router would attempt such a thing.
    >
    > As far as I see, all of the listed packets are similar.
    >
    > The firewall may blacklist your router because of these
    > attempts.
    >
    > Maybe your ISP attempts to discover if the clients are
    > having webservers. Is it prohibited in the contract?

    Thanks for the detailed explanation of those messages. I had zero
    understanding of them.

    Yes, my ISP, Verizon, prohibits webservers. I'm using a budget, $15 per
    month, consumer DSL service.

  9. Re: Troubleshooting connection loss (novice question)

    Allen Weiner wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 18:15:57 GMT, Allen Weiner wrote:
    >>> I run Fedora 7 and use Verizon DSL. My modem is a Westell 6100-E90
    >>> modem/router. My DSL connection usually runs well, but about once
    >>> every seven to ten days I lose my Internet connection.

    >> My SWAG, for some reason, you are not renewing your dhcp lease in
    >> the modem. You might root around in the modems web page and see what
    >> you can see.
    >>
    >>> I can regain my connection by rebooting Fedora. I've not been able to
    >>> regain my Internet connection without a reboot (e.g. "service network
    >>> restart" hangs).

    >> Now that is odd, I would have thought it would not matter unless your
    >> fedora
    >> firewall gets in the way.
    >>
    >> Would you dump your network settings for us to look at.
    >>
    >> -------- standard debug network problem text/script follows: ------------
    >> dump_net.txt version 3.4

    Bit Twister: Your script dump_net.txt Ver 3.4 appears to have some
    problems with respect to Fedora. I'd like to repair my copy of it. I
    have zero experience with bash scripting.

    I posted to this thread my output yesterday in a rush. Sorry about
    posting all of that garbage which was intended to be some of my
    networking scripts.

    Here are some of the problems I've noticed.

    1. The script is intended to post
    /etc/sysconfig/networks-scripts/ifdown.d and ifup.d.

    Red Hat Fedora uses different names for those scripts.

    Are you looking for /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdown-eth and ifup-eth?

    2. The output of mii-tool was truncated. Then the script dumped dmesg
    without printing the comment line. It also appears that possibly the
    dmesg contents were dumped more than once. (There was an enormous amount
    of output)

    3. Ethtool is installed on my system. The script source invokes ethtool.
    There was no ethtool output in the results.

  10. Re: Troubleshooting connection loss (novice question)

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 01:01:10 GMT, Allen Weiner wrote:

    >I posted to this thread my output yesterday in a rush.

    Dang, I'll have to google for it. I missed it.

    http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html

    > 1. The script is intended to post
    > /etc/sysconfig/networks-scripts/ifdown.d and ifup.d.

    Had you read the top of the script, you may have noticed it was to run
    on several different Linux OSs.

    Those directories exists on Mandriva.

    > Are you looking for /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdown-eth and ifup-eth?

    Nope. Some users put their own code/script there and I wanted contents
    of directories if existed. See

    # ls -al /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdown.d
    total 12
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-10-09 11:59 .
    drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 2007-10-09 12:26 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 224 2007-10-03 16:49 vpn

    Here is new/improved/untested code.

    if [ -d /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts ] ; then
    for _d in "ifdown.d" "ifup.d" ; do
    if [ -e /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/${_d} ] ; then
    _cmd="cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/${_d} ; ls -al "
    echo "===== $_cmd ====" >> $_out_fn
    cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/${_d}
    ls -al >> $_out_fn
    fi
    done
    fi

    > 2. The output of mii-tool was truncated.

    Hmmm, must work different on Fedora. On Mandriva

    # mii-tool -v eth0
    eth0: no autonegotiation, 100baseTx-FD, link ok
    product info: vendor 00:c0:b4, model 0 rev 8
    basic mode: autonegotiation enabled
    basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
    capabilities: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
    advertising: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
    link partner: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD flow-control

    > Then the script dumped dmesg without printing the comment line.

    Might try changing it to

    echo "======== dmesg | grep eth$nic ==========" >> $_out_fn

    > It also appears that possibly the dmesg contents were dumped more
    > than once. (There was an enormous amount of output)

    It would look repeating because it was to get
    eth0, eth1, eth2 and look something like

    ========== dmesg | grep eth0 =================
    eth0: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC rev 32 at Port 0xdf00, 00:A0:CC:21:B8:91, IRQ 19.
    eth0: Setting full-duplex based on MII#1 link partner capability of 05e1.
    eth0: no IPv6 routers present

    ========== dmesg | grep eth1 =================
    eth1: RealTek RTL8139 at 0xf8826000, 00:16:17:57:66:54, IRQ 19
    eth1: Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8100B/8139D'

    Guess I'll have to get back into the script and try to figure out how to exit
    loop if there is not an eth1 or eth2.

    > 3. Ethtool is installed on my system. The script source invokes ethtool.
    > There was no ethtool output in the results.

    Maybe an argument problem. I know ethtool does not work on my linksys nic

  11. Re: Troubleshooting connection loss (novice question)

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 22:09:28 GMT, Allen Weiner wrote:

    > (I don't know what SWAG stands for).

    Such a Wild A$$ Guess

    > About DHCP lease, I power off my
    > DSL modem every day at the end of a session. The loss of connection
    > tends to occur about two hours into the session. (Wondering about a
    > misbehaving cron job.).After the failure occurs,

    Still not happy not knowing how long the lease is in the modem.

    > I'm unable to access
    > the modem. (Firefox: browse http://192.168.1.1)

    You should be able to get to the modem web page even if it lost it's
    connection to ISP. First time you have a connection, verify you can
    ping -c 1 192.168.1.1

    > ======== chkconfig --list ==========
    > Double check if /avahi/ needs to be disabled on boot
    > avahi-daemon 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff

    Stop those avahi deamons from booting. You do not need them.

    > ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/resolv.conf ==========
    > ; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
    > search myhome.westell.com
    > nameserver 192.168.1.1
    > nameserver 192.168.1.1

    I would delete the search line to speed up DNS lookups.
    and change the second nameserver to a public one if me.

    > ======== hostname ==========
    > localhost.localdomain

    Well, some deamons like to have a Full Qualified Domain Name (FQDN).
    You created one, but I would not have picked localhost as a node name.

    If you have not registered a domain name you can make one up and add
    ..invalid to it. Example nodes from my /etc/hosts

    192.168.1.132 wb.home.invalid wb
    192.168.1.31 wb7_0.home.invalid wb7_0
    192.168.1.11 fw.home.invalid fw
    192.168.1.12 wb1.home.invalid wb1

    > ======== cat /etc/sysconfig/network ==========
    > NETWORKING=yes
    > HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain

    Here is where you can set your FQDN node name. Example:
    HOSTNAME=wb.home.invalid

    or
    HOSTNAME=darkstar.nowhere.invalid

    > ============== head -15 /etc/hosts ===============

    Well that bites. and can cause problems.
    That hosts file need fixing. At best is should be

    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

    Give your node a FQDN and it would look something like
    127.0.0.1 darkstar.nowhere.invalid darkstar localhost

    Ok, If it were me, I would set eht0 up as static so you know it can
    talk to the Cable modem regardless if the modem does not hand out a
    lease to your system. No sense fighting more than one thing at a time.

    For trouble shooting, once you know physical connection is working you
    ping each item in the path to the internet.

    The mii-tool -v eth0 shows you if link is ok and nic shook hands with
    whatever it is connected to. Now you know the physical connection is good.

    After ping yahoo's ip works you test DNS by pinging by name. Each ping has to
    work to do the next step. Example for your system

    ping -c 1 localhost # checks ping is working

    ping -c 1 $(hostname -s) # pings your node name
    # proves dns uses hosts file

    ping -c 1 lan_gateway_ip_here # use gateway ip found in route -n
    # yea, can access modem

    ping -c 1 ISP_gateway_ip_here # you have to look in modem to find it
    # yea, can access ISP's network

    ping -c 1 66.94.234.13 # yahoo is up
    # ISP is open to internet.

    ping -c 1 yahoo.com # if works, dns is working

    You might get ip addies for somewhere besides yahoo just incase.

  12. Re: Troubleshooting connection loss (novice question)

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 01:01:10 GMT, Allen Weiner wrote:

    > Bit Twister: Your script dump_net.txt Ver 3.4 appears to have some
    > problems with respect to Fedora. I'd like to repair my copy of it. I
    > have zero experience with bash scripting.

    I wonder if you had a cut and paste problem.
    Just boot fc7 and it works for me.
    I did make some changes so here is a new copy followed by my fc7 a.txt dump.

    #!/bin/bash
    #******** start of xx.txt script ****************

    _fn=a.txt
    _out_fn=$PWD/$_fn
    _dos_fn=$PWD/dos${_fn}
    _home=$PWD

    function cat_fn
    {
    _fn=$1
    if [ -f $_fn ] ; then
    _count=$(stat -c %s $_fn )
    if [ $_count -gt 0 ] ; then
    echo ======== cat $_fn ========== >> $_out_fn
    cat $_fn >> $_out_fn
    fi
    fi
    } # end cat_fn

    function grep_fn
    {

    echo "======= grep eth0 /var/log/messages | tail -10 =========" >> $_out_fn
[...]

    a.txt follows:

    Wed Oct 31 00:24:16 CDT 2007
    ======== cat /etc/fedora-release /etc/redhat-release ==========
    Fedora release 7 (Moonshine)
    Fedora release 7 (Moonshine)
    ======== uname -rvi =============
    2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 #1 SMP Wed May 23 22:35:01 EDT 2007 i386
    Linux version 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 (kojibuilder@xenbuilder4.fedora.phx.redhat.com) (gcc version 4.1.2 20070502 (Red Hat 4.1.2-12)) #1 SMP Wed May 23 22:35:01 EDT 2007
    ======== lsb_release -a ==========
    LSB Version: :core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-ia32:graphics-3.1-noarch
    Distributor ID: Fedora
    Release: 7
    Codename: Moonshine

    msec security level is
    ======== free ==========
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 969032 298952 670080 0 39488 162208
    -/+ buffers/cache: 97256 871776
    Swap: 1228932 0 1228932
    ======== chkconfig --list ==========
    Double check if /avahi/ needs to be disabled on boot
    avahi-dnsconfd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    BackupPC 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    ConsoleKit 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    NetworkManager 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    NetworkManagerDispatcher 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    anacron 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    atd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    auditd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    autofs 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    avahi-dnsconfd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    bluetooth 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    btseed 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    bttrack 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    capi 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    cpuspeed 0ff 1n 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    crond 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    cups 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    dc_client 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    dc_server 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    dhcdbd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    dovecot 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    dund 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    firstboot 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4ff 5n 6ff
    gpm 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    haldaemon 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    hidd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    hplip 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    httpd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    ip6tables 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    iptables 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    irda 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    irqbalance 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    isdn 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    kudzu 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    lisa 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    lm_sensors 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    mcstrans 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    mdmonitor 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    messagebus 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    multipathd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    nasd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    netconsole 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    netfs 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    netplugd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    network 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    nfs 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    nfslock 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    nmb 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    nscd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    ntpd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4ff 5n 6ff
    openvpn 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    pand 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    pcscd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    psacct 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    rdisc 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    readahead_early 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    readahead_later 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5n 6ff
    restorecond 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    rpcbind 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    rpcgssd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    rpcidmapd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    rpcsvcgssd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    saslauthd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    sendmail 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5ff 6ff
    setroubleshoot 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    smartd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    smb 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    smolt 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    snmpd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    snmptrapd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    spamassassin 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    squid 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    sshd 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    syslog 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    tux 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    vncserver 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    winbind 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    wpa_supplicant 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    xfs 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    ypbind 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff
    yum-updatesd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    ======== grep hosts: /etc/nsswitch.conf ==========
    #hosts: db files nisplus nis dns
    hosts: files dns
    ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/resolv.conf ==========
    nameserver 192.168.1.1
    ======== hostname ==========
    fedora.home.invalid
    ======== grep eth /etc/mod*.conf ==========
    alias eth0 8139too
    alias eth1 tulip
    ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/host.conf ==========
    order hosts,bind
    ================ ifconfig -a ===============
    __tmp715096110 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:17:57:66:54
    BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Interrupt:19 Base address:0xe000

    eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:A0:CC:21:B8:91
    inet addr:192.168.1.132 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::2a0:ccff:fe21:b891/64 Scope:Link
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:18515 (18.0 KiB) TX bytes:35938 (35.0 KiB)
    Interrupt:19 Base address:0xe000

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:23784636 (22.6 MiB) TX bytes:23784636 (22.6 MiB)

    ============== route -n =================
    Kernel IP routing table
    192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
    169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
    0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth1
    ======== cat /etc/sysconfig/network ==========
    NETWORKING=yes
    HOSTNAME=fedora.home.invalid
    ============== head -15 /etc/hosts ===============
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.1.132 fc7.home.invalid fc7
    ::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
    ======== dmesg | grep eth0 ==========
    eth0: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC rev 32 at MMIO 0xfdcff000, 00:A0:CC:21:B8:91, IRQ 19.
    ======== mii-tool -v eth1 ==========
    eth1: no autonegotiation, 100baseTx-FD, link ok
    product info: vendor 00:c0:b4, model 0 rev 8
    basic mode: autonegotiation enabled
    basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok
    capabilities: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
    advertising: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD
    link partner: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD flow-control
    ======== dmesg | grep eth1 ==========
    eth1: RealTek RTL8139 at 0xf88ce000, 00:16:17:57:66:54, IRQ 19
    eth1: Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8100B/8139D'
    eth1: Setting full-duplex based on MII#1 link partner capability of 05e1.
    eth1: no IPv6 routers present
    ======== cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 ==========
    # Lite-On Communications Inc LNE100TX
    DEVICE=eth1
    ONBOOT=yes
    BOOTPROTO=none
    HWADDR=00:a0:cc:21:b8:91
    TYPE=Ethernet
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    IPADDR=192.168.1.132
    GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
    USERCTL=no
    IPV6INIT=no
    PEERDNS=yes
    ======== dmesg | grep eth2 ==========
    ======= grep eth0 /var/log/messages | tail -10 =========
    Oct 30 23:49:39 fedora avahi-daemon[2664]: Registering new address record for 192.168.2.113 on eth0.IPv4.
    Oct 30 23:58:42 fedora system-config-network[3713]: -+ //etc/modprobe.conf eth0 alias 8139too
    Oct 30 23:58:43 fedora system-config-network[3713]: chmod 0644 //etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
    Oct 30 23:58:43 fedora system-config-network[3713]: rm //etc/sysconfig/network-scripts//ifcfg-eth0
    Oct 30 23:58:43 fedora system-config-network[3713]: rm //etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0
    Oct 31 00:01:03 fedora system-config-network[3713]: -+ //etc/modprobe.conf eth0 alias 8139too
    Oct 31 00:01:03 fedora system-config-network[3713]: rm //etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
    Oct 31 00:03:04 fedora system-config-network[3713]: -+ //etc/modprobe.conf eth0 alias 8139too
    Oct 31 00:04:35 fedora avahi-daemon[2664]: Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 192.168.2.113.
    Oct 31 00:06:12 fedora kernel: eth0: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC rev 32 at MMIO 0xfdcff000, 00:A0:CC:21:B8:91, IRQ 19.
    ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/hosts.allow ==========

    ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/hosts.deny ==========

    ======= end of config/network data dump ===========

  13. Re: Troubleshooting connection loss (novice question)

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 01:01:10 GMT, Allen Weiner wrote:
    >> Bit Twister: Your script dump_net.txt Ver 3.4 appears to have some
    >> problems with respect to Fedora. I'd like to repair my copy of it. I
    >> have zero experience with bash scripting.

    > I wonder if you had a cut and paste problem.
    > Just boot fc7 and it works for me.
    > I did make some changes so here is a new copy followed by my fc7 a.txt dump.

    Thanks very much. I ran the revised script. Here is my output:

    Wed Oct 31 11:17:28 EDT 2007
    ======== cat /etc/fedora-release /etc/redhat-release ==========
    Fedora release 7 (Moonshine)
    Fedora release 7 (Moonshine)
    ======== uname -rvi =============
    2.6.23.1-10.fc7 #1 SMP Fri Oct 19 15:39:08 EDT 2007 i386
    ======== cat /etc/subversion ==========
    cat: /etc/subversion: Is a directory
    ======== cat /proc/version ==========
    Linux version 2.6.23.1-10.fc7
    (kojibuilder@xenbuilder4.fedora.phx.redhat.com) (gcc version 4.1.2
    20070925 (Red Hat 4.1.2-27)) #1 SMP Fri Oct 19 15:39:08 EDT 2007
    ======== lsb_release -a ==========
    LSB Version:
    :core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-ia32:graphics-3.1-noarch
    Distributor ID: Fedora
    Release: 7
    Codename: Moonshine

    msec security level is
    ======== free ==========
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 125132 117412 7720 0 1440 42032
    -/+ buffers/cache: 73940 51192
    Swap: 771080 198604 572476
[...]
    RX bytes:410068 (400.4 KiB) TX bytes:117488 (114.7 KiB)

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:6093762 (5.8 MiB) TX bytes:6093762 (5.8 MiB)

[...]
    e100: eth0: e100_probe: addr 0xfc9ff000, irq 11, MAC addr 00:07:E9:01:B2:09
    ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
    e100: eth0: e100_watchdog: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex
    ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=360
    DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1030 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=373
    DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1030 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    eth0: no IPv6 routers present
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.1.47 DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=257
    TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=237
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.1.47 DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=257
    TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=237
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.1.47 DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=257
    TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=237
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.1.47 DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=165
    TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=145
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.1.47 DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=106
    TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=86
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.1.47 DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=74
    TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=54
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.1.47 DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=289
    TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=269
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.1.47 DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=289
    TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=269
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.1.47 DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=289
    TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=269
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.1.47 DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=262
    TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=242
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.1.47 DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=217
    TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=197
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.1.47 DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=137
    TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=117
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.1.47 DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=90
    TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=70
[...]
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=460
    DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1030 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=477
    DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1031 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=490
    DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1031 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00
    SRC=192.168.1.1 DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=491
    DF PROTO=TCP SPT=1031 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0

    transmissions logged by Firestarter/iptables>

    ======== cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 ==========
    # Intel Corporation 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100]
    DEVICE=eth0
    ONBOOT=yes
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    HWADDR=00:07:e9:01:b2:09
    TYPE=Ethernet
    USERCTL=no
    IPV6INIT=no
    PEERDNS=yes
    ======== dmesg | grep eth1 ==========
    ======== dmesg | grep eth2 ==========
    ======= grep eth0 /var/log/messages | tail -10 =========
    Oct 31 11:15:05 localhost kernel: Inbound IN=eth0 OUT=
    MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00 SRC=192.168.1.1
    DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=2031 DF PROTO=TCP
    SPT=1106 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Oct 31 11:15:29 localhost kernel: Inbound IN=eth0 OUT=
    MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00 SRC=192.168.1.1
    DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=2032 DF PROTO=TCP
    SPT=1106 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Oct 31 11:15:47 localhost kernel: Inbound IN=eth0 OUT=
    MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00 SRC=192.168.1.1
    DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=2049 DF PROTO=TCP
    SPT=1107 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Oct 31 11:15:53 localhost kernel: Inbound IN=eth0 OUT=
    MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00 SRC=192.168.1.1
    DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=2050 DF PROTO=TCP
    SPT=1107 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Oct 31 11:16:17 localhost kernel: Inbound IN=eth0 OUT=
    MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00 SRC=192.168.1.1
    DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=2051 DF PROTO=TCP
    SPT=1107 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Oct 31 11:16:34 localhost kernel: Inbound IN=eth0 OUT=
    MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00 SRC=192.168.1.1
    DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=2061 DF PROTO=TCP
    SPT=1108 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Oct 31 11:16:40 localhost kernel: Inbound IN=eth0 OUT=
    MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00 SRC=192.168.1.1
    DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=2062 DF PROTO=TCP
    SPT=1108 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Oct 31 11:17:04 localhost kernel: Inbound IN=eth0 OUT=
    MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00 SRC=192.168.1.1
    DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=2064 DF PROTO=TCP
    SPT=1108 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Oct 31 11:17:22 localhost kernel: Inbound IN=eth0 OUT=
    MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00 SRC=192.168.1.1
    DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=2081 DF PROTO=TCP
    SPT=1109 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    Oct 31 11:17:27 localhost kernel: Inbound IN=eth0 OUT=
    MAC=00:07:e9:01:b2:09:00:18:3a:53:f7:fb:08:00 SRC=192.168.1.1
    DST=192.168.1.47 LEN=60 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=2082 DF PROTO=TCP
    SPT=1109 DPT=80 WINDOW=8192 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0
    ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/hosts.allow ==========

    ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/hosts.deny ==========

    ======= end of config/network data dump ===========

  14. Re: Troubleshooting connection loss (novice question)

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 22:09:28 GMT, Allen Weiner wrote:
    >> (I don't know what SWAG stands for).

    > Such a Wild A$$ Guess
    >
    >> About DHCP lease, I power off my
    >> DSL modem every day at the end of a session. The loss of connection
    >> tends to occur about two hours into the session. (Wondering about a
    >> misbehaving cron job.).After the failure occurs,

    > Still not happy not knowing how long the lease is in the modem.

    The modem DHCP lease time is 24 hours, according to the modem
    configuration page. It is 1:0:0:0 (D:H:M:S

    The DHCP lease time according to Fedora is also 24 hours.
    (/var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-eth0.leases -> dhcp-lease-time 86400)
    >> I'm unable to access
    >> the modem. (Firefox: browse http://192.168.1.1)

    > You should be able to get to the modem web page even if it lost it's
    > connection to ISP. First time you have a connection, verify you can
    > ping -c 1 192.168.1.1

    ================================================== ========================================
    Ping 192.168.1.1 while connection established

    [root@localhost ~]# ping -c 1 192.168.1.1

    --- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
    1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
    [root@localhost ~]#

    ================================================== =============================================
    Ping 192.168.1.1 following connection loss

    [root@localhost ~]# ping 192.168.1.1
    From 192.168.1.47 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
    From 192.168.1.47 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
    From 192.168.1.47 icmp_seq=4 Destination Host Unreachable
    From 192.168.1.47 icmp_seq=6 Destination Host Unreachable
    From 192.168.1.47 icmp_seq=7 Destination Host Unreachable
    From 192.168.1.47 icmp_seq=8 Destination Host Unreachable

    >> ======== chkconfig --list ==========
    >> Double check if /avahi/ needs to be disabled on boot
    >> avahi-daemon 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff

    > Stop those avahi deamons from booting. You do not need them.
    >
    >> ======== grep -v '^#' /etc/resolv.conf ==========
    >> ; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
    >> search myhome.westell.com
    >> nameserver 192.168.1.1
    >> nameserver 192.168.1.1

    > I would delete the search line to speed up DNS lookups.
    > and change the second nameserver to a public one if me.
    >
    >> ======== hostname ==========
    >> localhost.localdomain

    > Well, some deamons like to have a Full Qualified Domain Name (FQDN).
    > You created one, but I would not have picked localhost as a node name.
    >
    > If you have not registered a domain name you can make one up and add
    > ..invalid to it. Example nodes from my /etc/hosts
    >
    > 192.168.1.132 wb.home.invalid wb
    > 192.168.1.31 wb7_0.home.invalid wb7_0
    > 192.168.1.11 fw.home.invalid fw
    > 192.168.1.12 wb1.home.invalid wb1
    >

    >> ======== cat /etc/sysconfig/network ==========
    >> NETWORKING=yes
    >> HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain

    > Here is where you can set your FQDN node name. Example:
    > HOSTNAME=wb.home.invalid
    >
    > or
    > HOSTNAME=darkstar.nowhere.invalid
    >

    >> ============== head -15 /etc/hosts ===============

    > Well that bites. and can cause problems.
    > That hosts file need fixing. At best is should be
    >
    > 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    >
    > Give your node a FQDN and it would look something like
    > 127.0.0.1 darkstar.nowhere.invalid darkstar localhost

    Thanks very much for these suggestions as to how to optimize my
    networking setup. Everything I have is default. I just plugged in the
    modem. I'm a novice at Linux, bash scripting, and networking. Before
    making any changes to my networking config, I want to understand the
    purpose of the change. At the moment, I don't understand the rationales
    and possible side-effects for these changes . But on my to-do list is a
    bunch of reading material on Linux networking, so I will investigate
    these suggestions.
    > Ok, If it were me, I would set eht0 up as static so you know it can
    > talk to the Cable modem regardless if the modem does not hand out a
    > lease to your system. No sense fighting more than one thing at a time.
    >
    > For trouble shooting, once you know physical connection is working you
    > ping each item in the path to the internet.
    >
    > The mii-tool -v eth0 shows you if link is ok and nic shook hands with
    > whatever it is connected to. Now you know the physical connection is good.

    On my most recent connection loss I did run mii-tool and ethtool to
    confirm that there was a link detected.

    > After ping yahoo's ip works you test DNS by pinging by name. Each ping has to
    > work to do the next step. Example for your system
    >
    > ping -c 1 localhost # checks ping is working
    >
    > ping -c 1 $(hostname -s) # pings your node name
    > # proves dns uses hosts file
    >
    > ping -c 1 lan_gateway_ip_here # use gateway ip found in route -n
    > # yea, can access modem
    >
    > ping -c 1 ISP_gateway_ip_here # you have to look in modem to find it
    > # yea, can access ISP's network
    >
    > ping -c 1 66.94.234.13 # yahoo is up
    > # ISP is open to internet.
    >
    > ping -c 1 yahoo.com # if works, dns is working
    >

    > You might get ip addies for somewhere besides yahoo just incase.

    My uneducated hunch is that I should first understand why, at time of
    connection loss, I can ping 192.168.1.47 but cannot ping 192.168.1.1
    before going any further with DNS etc.

  15. Re: Troubleshooting connection loss (novice question)

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:57:59 GMT, Allen Weiner wrote:

    > The modem DHCP lease time is 24 hours, according to the modem
    > configuration page. It is 1:0:0:0 (D:H:M:S
    >
    > The DHCP lease time according to Fedora is also 24 hours.
    > (/var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-eth0.leases -> dhcp-lease-time 86400)

    Well now, nothing so far should cause a drop after a few hours.

    > Ping 192.168.1.1 following connection loss
    >
    > [root@localhost ~]# ping 192.168.1.1
    > PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
    > From 192.168.1.47 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable

    Does route -n still show what it does during connection?

    > My uneducated hunch is that I should first understand why, at time of
    > connection loss, I can ping 192.168.1.47 but cannot ping 192.168.1.1
    > before going any further with DNS etc.

    Yes. If you set your connection as static and make it work, you get to
    rule out dhcp issues between your modem and your system.

  16. Re: Troubleshooting connection loss (novice question)

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:34:21 GMT, Allen Weiner wrote:

    > ======== chkconfig --list ==========
    > Double check if /avahi/ needs to be disabled on boot
    > avahi-daemon 0ff 1ff 2ff 3n 4n 5n 6ff
    > avahi-dnsconfd 0ff 1ff 2ff 3ff 4ff 5ff 6ff

    I found out I had to do a
    chkconfig --del avahi-daemon
    as root, to disable the deamon.

    > Inbound IN=eth0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.1.47 DST=224.0.0.251 LEN=217
    > TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=255 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=5353 DPT=5353 LEN=197
    >
    > > transmissions logged by Firestarter/iptables>

    Yeah, No idea why the
    mdns 5353/tcp # Multicast DNS
    mdns 5353/udp # Multicast DNS
    packets, unless it is the avahi crap running. Do stop the avahi
    services from running.

    You see/find default port assignments in /etc/services

    Looking around in my router's firewall, I noticed verizon has set it to
    drop 224.0.0.0/240.0.0.0 all protocols.

    You will have to look into just droping those without logging so as to
    not fill up you disk with those messages.

    Oh, by the way, your script is missing a line to dump fedora's leases file.
    Just search for the next line, and add the one after it.

    tail_fn /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-eth${nic}.leases
    tail_fn /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-eth{nic}.leases <========
    tail_fn /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth${nic}.info

  17. Re: Troubleshooting connection loss (novice question)

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 19:27:09 GMT, Bit Twister wrote:

    > Does route -n still show what it does during connection?

    Whoops, should read

    Does route -n still show what it does during connection loss that
    it did during a good connection?

  18. Re: Troubleshooting connection loss (novice question)

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:57:59 GMT, Allen Weiner wrote:
    >
    >> The modem DHCP lease time is 24 hours, according to the modem
    >> configuration page. It is 1:0:0:0 (D:H:M:S
    >>
    >> The DHCP lease time according to Fedora is also 24 hours.
    >> (/var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-eth0.leases -> dhcp-lease-time 86400)

    > Well now, nothing so far should cause a drop after a few hours.
    >

    >> Ping 192.168.1.1 following connection loss
    >>
    >> [root@localhost ~]# ping 192.168.1.1
    >> PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
    >> From 192.168.1.47 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable

    > Does route -n still show what it does during connection?

    I'll have to try it the next time I have a connection loss. Until now,
    "route -n" hasn't been in my networking-troubleshooting toolkit. (I just
    got off dial-up three months ago.)

    >> My uneducated hunch is that I should first understand why, at time of
    >> connection loss, I can ping 192.168.1.47 but cannot ping 192.168.1.1
    >> before going any further with DNS etc.

    > Yes. If you set your connection as static and make it work, you get to
    > rule out dhcp issues between your modem and your system.

    Offhand, I don't know how to correctly configure my connection as
    static. (I believe I have somehow to manually configure all of the stuff
    such as DNS gateways that DHCP would otherwise do for me.)

    I spent half an hour googling "static IP" dsl. It looks like it might
    take a number of hours of googling to locate the answer. If you happen
    to know of an information source for this, could you point me to it.
    It's not in the DSL Howto.

    I did add the dhclient line to my copy of your (revised) script.

  19. Re: Troubleshooting connection loss (novice question)

    On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 02:14:27 GMT, Allen Weiner wrote:

    > Offhand, I don't know how to correctly configure my connection as
    > static. (I believe I have somehow to manually configure all of the stuff
    > such as DNS gateways that DHCP would otherwise do for me.)

    It is pretty easy, you pick an ip in the range handled by your gateway.
    You have a Network Configuration set of screens, Instead of Automatic,
    you select Static and set ip address 192.168.1.147
    Mask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    dns 192.168.1.1

    Look at my a.txt dump to see where all the information gets stored.
    If it does not work get back in Network Configuration and set it Automatic.

  20. Re: Troubleshooting connection loss (novice question)

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 19:27:09 GMT, Bit Twister wrote:
    >> Does route -n still show what it does during connection?

    > Whoops, should read
    >
    > Does route -n still show what it does during connection loss that
    > it did during a good connection?

    Regarding your suggestion to turn off the service "avahi-daemon", I
    forgot to mention in my other reply of Oct. 31 that I checked with the
    information source I rely on for deletion of unneeded services,
    "Services in Fedora 7" by Mauriat Miranda (mjmwired.com). It confirms
    your suggestion, so I've deleted it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast