How do I set up iTunes on with a network drive - Networking

This is a discussion on How do I set up iTunes on with a network drive - Networking ; Hi all, I have two PCs running Windows XP which both have the current version of iTunes installed. PC (a) is hard wired to my cable modem router and PC (b) has a wireless usb adapter which allows me to ...

  1. How do I set up iTunes on with a network drive

    Hi all,

    I have two PCs running Windows XP which both have the current version
    of iTunes installed. PC (a) is hard wired to my cable modem router and
    PC (b) has a wireless usb adapter which allows me to network the two
    PCs and share an internet connection. PC (b) is the remotely located
    PC which has an external usb hard drive which contains my iTunes Music
    Library and the folder is shared.

    Can anyone offer advice on how to set up iTunes on both PCs so that
    they use the same library located on the external hard drive. ALSO, I
    was wondering if this can be set up so that when a song is imported,
    purchased or added from PC (a) or (b) that the other PC will
    automatically have it listed in it's library as well as seeing the
    same information in the purchased section of iTunes' Music Store.

    Ithink that I'm doing something wrong, because so far whenever I buy
    or add a song on one PC, I have to go to File\Add Folder in iTunes and
    add the new folder that the song created on the storage drive in order
    for the PC (which was not the one to initiate the purchase) to see the
    new song.

    Thanks!!!!!
    Thanks in Advance!!!
    Regards,

    Steve B.

  2. Re: How do I set up iTunes on with a network drive

    On Oct 28, 10:37 am, Steve B. wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have two PCs running Windows XP which both have the current version
    > of iTunes installed. PC (a) is hard wired to my cable modem router and
    > PC (b) has a wireless usb adapter which allows me to network the two
    > PCs and share an internet connection. PC (b) is the remotely located
    > PC which has an external usb hard drive which contains my iTunes Music
    > Library and the folder is shared.
    >
    > Can anyone offer advice on how to set up iTunes on both PCs so that
    > they use the same library located on the external hard drive. ALSO, I
    > was wondering if this can be set up so that when a song is imported,
    > purchased or added from PC (a) or (b) that the other PC will
    > automatically have it listed in it's library as well as seeing the
    > same information in the purchased section of iTunes' Music Store.
    >
    > Ithink that I'm doing something wrong, because so far whenever I buy
    > or add a song on one PC, I have to go to File\Add Folder in iTunes and
    > add the new folder that the song created on the storage drive in order
    > for the PC (which was not the one to initiate the purchase) to see the
    > new song.
    >

    >From your post, it sounds like you already know how to remote mount

    the disk and drag things into your library. That's the best I've been
    able
    to do. If you map the remote drive to drive letter, you can
    go into the advanced settings of iTunes and make that your
    library, but this still doesn't result in files automatically getting
    included.

    Since iTunes is smart enough not to add things to the library
    multiple times, I just drag the whole folder to the remote
    machine every time I add anything, and let it find the
    new stuff on its own. Pretty easy.

    You have to separately authorize your music on the
    two machines, but you get up to five. Once you authorize
    one song, everything bought with the same account will
    automatically be authorized, even if you drag it in from
    a remote machine.

    Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but I think it's risky to
    try to really run two instances of iTunes off one directory,
    and might result in corruption of important files.

    -jc

    > Thanks!!!!!
    > Thanks in Advance!!!
    > Regards,