Linksys Wireless NIC (WPC54G, vers. 1.2) under Ubuntu 6.6 problem - Networking

This is a discussion on Linksys Wireless NIC (WPC54G, vers. 1.2) under Ubuntu 6.6 problem - Networking ; Dear All, I am attempting to help a colleague with a Linksys Wireless NIC (WPC54G, vers. 1.2) under Ubuntu 6.6. I'm unfamiliar with this NIC and distro. The driver will not load properly due to the NIC's firmware. A description ...

  1. Linksys Wireless NIC (WPC54G, vers. 1.2) under Ubuntu 6.6 problem

    Dear All,
    I am attempting to help a colleague with a Linksys Wireless
    NIC (WPC54G, vers. 1.2) under Ubuntu 6.6. I'm unfamiliar with this
    NIC and distro. The driver will not load properly due to the NIC's
    firmware. A description matching our symptoms is listed on
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ha...rkCardsLinksys
    but the link referring to the solution at
    http://bcm43xx.spugna.org/index.php?topic=29.0 is broken. Does
    anybody with this H/W + S/W combination know the solution or have the
    information from the broken link? Ubuntu's webmanager has not
    responded to my query/broken link report.

    Also, would I be correct in assuming that the firmware upload to this
    NIC is volatile and therefore needs to be performed at each system
    boot?

    TIA.
    Tom Crane

    --
    Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham Hill,
    Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.

  2. Re: Linksys Wireless NIC (WPC54G, vers. 1.2) under Ubuntu 6.6problem

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 20:17:55 +0000, UHAP023 wrote:

    > Dear All,
    > I am attempting to help a colleague with a Linksys Wireless
    > NIC (WPC54G, vers. 1.2) under Ubuntu 6.6. I'm unfamiliar with this NIC
    > and distro. The driver will not load properly due to the NIC's
    > firmware. A description matching our symptoms is listed on
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

    HardwareSupportComponentsWirelessNetworkCardsLinks ys
    > but the link referring to the solution at
    > http://bcm43xx.spugna.org/index.php?topic=29.0 is broken. Does anybody
    > with this H/W + S/W combination know the solution or have the
    > information from the broken link? Ubuntu's webmanager has not responded
    > to my query/broken link report.
    >
    > Also, would I be correct in assuming that the firmware upload to this
    > NIC is volatile and therefore needs to be performed at each system boot?

    Try these links:

    http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Networking/
    HOW_TO_install_the_Broadcom_bcm43xx_Driver_in_Debi an_Linux_and_enable_WPA_Encryption

    Sorry, I can't be of more help. I did install the bcm43xx for another pcmcia card, but it was way
    back when.

  3. Re: Linksys Wireless NIC (WPC54G, vers. 1.2) under Ubuntu 6.6 problem

    On 10/27/2007 01:47 AM, UHAP023@alpha1.rhbnc.ac.uk wrote:
    > Dear All,
    > I am attempting to help a colleague with a Linksys Wireless
    > NIC (WPC54G, vers. 1.2) under Ubuntu 6.6. I'm unfamiliar with this
    > NIC and distro. The driver will not load properly due to the NIC's
    > firmware. A description matching our symptoms is listed on
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ha...rkCardsLinksys
    > but the link referring to the solution at
    > http://bcm43xx.spugna.org/index.php?topic=29.0 is broken. Does
    > anybody with this H/W + S/W combination know the solution or have the
    > information from the broken link? Ubuntu's webmanager has not
    > responded to my query/broken link report.
    >
    > Also, would I be correct in assuming that the firmware upload to this
    > NIC is volatile and therefore needs to be performed at each system
    > boot?

    Please arrange to post more information about you NIC, hint:

    $ lspci |grep [Nn]etwork

    I think/guess, here is a discussion about the said card:
    http://www.binrev.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28033

    Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP

  4. Re: Linksys Wireless NIC (WPC54G, vers. 1.2) under Ubuntu 6.6 problem

    UHAP023@alpha1.rhbnc.ac.uk wrote:
    > Dear All,
    > I am attempting to help a colleague with a Linksys Wireless
    > NIC (WPC54G, vers. 1.2) under Ubuntu 6.6. I'm unfamiliar with this
    > NIC and distro. The driver will not load properly due to the NIC's
    > firmware. A description matching our symptoms is listed on
    > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ha...rkCardsLinksys
    > but the link referring to the solution at
    > http://bcm43xx.spugna.org/index.php?topic=29.0 is broken. Does
    > anybody with this H/W + S/W combination know the solution or have the
    > information from the broken link? Ubuntu's webmanager has not
    > responded to my query/broken link report.
    >
    > Also, would I be correct in assuming that the firmware upload to this
    > NIC is volatile and therefore needs to be performed at each system
    > boot?

    Yes, the firmware needs to be uploaded when the network interface is brought up.

    To see what needs to be done, check out http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43. You should
    also be aware that the kernel version needs to be 2.6.21 or later. You can check that with 'uname
    -r'. Kernels up to 2.6.24-rc1 will use bcm43xx as the driver. After that, you can use b43 or
    b43legacy (depending on the actual chip in the WPC54G), or bcm43xx.

    Larry

  5. Re: Linksys Wireless NIC (WPC54G, vers. 1.2) under Ubuntu 6.6 problem

    UHAP023@alpha1.rhbnc.ac.uk wrote:

    > Dear All,
    > I am attempting to help a colleague with a Linksys Wireless
    > NIC (WPC54G, vers. 1.2) under Ubuntu 6.6. I'm unfamiliar with this
    > NIC and distro. The driver will not load properly due to the NIC's
    > firmware. A description matching our symptoms is listed on

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ha...rkCardsLinksys
    > but the link referring to the solution at
    > http://bcm43xx.spugna.org/index.php?topic=29.0 is broken. Does
    > anybody with this H/W + S/W combination know the solution or have the
    > information from the broken link? Ubuntu's webmanager has not
    > responded to my query/broken link report.
    >
    > Also, would I be correct in assuming that the firmware upload to this
    > NIC is volatile and therefore needs to be performed at each system
    > boot?
    >
    > TIA.
    > Tom Crane

    On my broadcomm card(s) with 4303 and 4318 chipsets, the 4303 will only
    work well with 2.6.22 and the 4318 with 2.6.23 and better.
    The 4303 on the 2.6.21 kernel just wasn't worth a pint of piss. On the
    2.6.22 and 2.6.23 kernels it be fine.

    The 4303 is in a Dell laptop and the 4318 v2 is a belkin F5D7001 I just
    installed in a home built Desktop.

    The Belkin card with the 4318 chipset was troublesome to setup.
    With 2.6.22 kernel or earlier on the 4318 card, the firmware would load and
    the card would come up in ifconfig but I just would not communicate.
    iwconfig just reported nothing at all. With the 2.6.23 kernel all is well.

    I use Fedora 7 BTW.

    I have found that you need to use at least version 4 of the firmware, You
    can get information here: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

    Go here to get the firmware cutters:
    http://developer.berlios.de/project/...?group_id=4547

    Get the bcm43xx-fwcutter-006.tar.bz2

    Extract it
    Compile it by running make

    Cut the firmware like this as root
    bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware bcmwl5.sys (From Install CD)

    Or

    bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o (From
    linuxwireless.org)

    You will also need to add this to /etc/modprobe.conf

    alias eth1 b44
    alias wlan0 bcm43xx

    That allows me to use the GUI network device tool in KDE (Fedora 7)
    to configure the card.

    --
    Dancin in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy