dhcpd v4 ipv6 error - Networking

This is a discussion on dhcpd v4 ipv6 error - Networking ; Trying to set up dchpd v4.0.0b on an older box running the 2.4.35 kernel. I don't have any support of IPv6 on this machine. AFAIK , I have the config file right, and I'm trying to bring up the server ...

  1. dhcpd v4 ipv6 error

    Trying to set up dchpd v4.0.0b on an older box running the 2.4.35 kernel.
    I don't have any support of IPv6 on this machine. AFAIK, I have the config
    file right, and I'm trying to bring up the server like this:

    dhcpd -4 eth0

    ....which according to the man pages, should give me IPv4 support only on
    eth0, my only network interface. I get a page of verbage, with this line
    close to the top:

    Error opening '/proc/net/if_inet6' to list IPv6 interfaces: No such file or
    directory.

    The complaint is valid as the file isn't there, but why is dhcpd looking for
    this? I read the man page, and it said '-4' means IPv4 only, which is what
    I have. My dhcpd.conf file is pretty vanilla stuff, taken almost verbatim
    from the mini-howto. How do I get dhcpd to start?

  2. Re: dhcpd v4 ipv6 error

    Did you ever figure out the fix to this? I am similarly stumped! Intense Googling for this has been of no help...

    Now I remember why I just went with static addressing. :P

+ Reply to Thread