Flashing a WRT54G router (with v7.00.1 firmware) with a linux firmware? - Networking

This is a discussion on Flashing a WRT54G router (with v7.00.1 firmware) with a linux firmware? - Networking ; I have a WRT54G router with v7.00.1 firmware (serial number starting CDFE1...) and I would like to flash it with one of the Linux firmware distros (for better QoS, user restriction management, etc) but I read on the Tomato site ...

  1. Flashing a WRT54G router (with v7.00.1 firmware) with a linux firmware?

    I have a WRT54G router with v7.00.1 firmware (serial number starting
    CDFE1...) and I would like to flash it with one of the Linux firmware
    distros (for better QoS, user restriction management, etc) but I read
    on the Tomato site (http://www.polarcloud.com/
    tomatofaq#how_do_i_find_my_linksys_wrt54) that my router doesn't seem
    to be supported and similar on the Bitsum (http://www.bitsum.com/
    openwiking/owbase/ow.asp?WRT54G5%5FCFE) site.

    My question is: Is there a relatively full featured Linux firmware
    "upgrade" that will work on my model of WRT54G router? Any help or
    suggestions would really be appreciated!

    Cheers

    -Gaiko

  2. Re: Flashing a WRT54G router (with v7.00.1 firmware) with a linux firmware?

    gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com wrote:

    >I have a WRT54G router with v7.00.1 firmware (serial number starting
    >CDFE1...) and I would like to flash it with one of the Linux firmware
    >distros (for better QoS, user restriction management, etc) but I read
    >on the Tomato site (http://www.polarcloud.com/
    >tomatofaq#how_do_i_find_my_linksys_wrt54) that my router doesn't seem
    >to be supported and similar on the Bitsum (http://www.bitsum.com/
    >openwiking/owbase/ow.asp?WRT54G5%5FCFE) site.
    >
    >My question is: Is there a relatively full featured Linux firmware
    >"upgrade" that will work on my model of WRT54G router? Any help or
    >suggestions would really be appreciated!
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >-Gaiko

    You will probably get a few responses to this but I don't think the
    VxWorks based units are Linux compatible. That is WRT54G units
    starting with V5.

    http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/...are/Linksys%29

    I don't think there is an easy solution to this and the Linux
    compatible units are REALLY scarce in the stores and even getting
    difficult to find on EBay.

    Good luck!

    (I have set the follow up to only comp.os.linux.networking.)
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
    SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.

  3. Re: Flashing a WRT54G router (with v7.00.1 firmware) with a linuxfirmware?

    On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:05:17 -0400, I waved a wand and this message
    magically appears in front of Doug Mitton:

    > You will probably get a few responses to this but I don't think the
    > VxWorks based units are Linux compatible. That is WRT54G units
    > starting with V5.
    >
    > http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/...are/Linksys%29

    I have a WRT54GS v5.1 working perfectly with dd-wrt. I love it to bits!

    See www.dd-wrt.com for further details
    --
    http://www.munted.org.uk

    Fearsome grindings.

  4. Re: Flashing a WRT54G router (with v7.00.1 firmware) with a linux firmware?

    Go look at http://www.dd-wrt.com I recently flashed my v5 WRT54G and the
    ddwrt firmware offers an amazing array of new features including QoS which
    you're seeking. Until I found this, I thought upgrading the firmware in my
    v5 WRT54G router was not a possibility because it wasn't Linux based and
    because of the limited RAM (8Meg) in the unit. I needed to use the router
    as a wireless bridge and could not do so with the stock Linksys firmware.
    After flashing the proper firmware (mirco generic ddwrt), it's working fine
    as a wireless bridge connecting my DirecTV HR20 and XBox to my home network.

    wrote in message
    news:1190636997.195839.195330@g4g2000hsf.googlegro ups.com...
    >I have a WRT54G router with v7.00.1 firmware (serial number starting
    > CDFE1...) and I would like to flash it with one of the Linux firmware
    > distros (for better QoS, user restriction management, etc) but I read
    > on the Tomato site (http://www.polarcloud.com/
    > tomatofaq#how_do_i_find_my_linksys_wrt54) that my router doesn't seem
    > to be supported and similar on the Bitsum (http://www.bitsum.com/
    > openwiking/owbase/ow.asp?WRT54G5%5FCFE) site.
    >
    > My question is: Is there a relatively full featured Linux firmware
    > "upgrade" that will work on my model of WRT54G router? Any help or
    > suggestions would really be appreciated!
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > -Gaiko

+ Reply to Thread