Ndiswrapper on 64 bit Fedora 7 - Networking

This is a discussion on Ndiswrapper on 64 bit Fedora 7 - Networking ; I thought I'd give Ndiswrapper a try again, it hasn't worked for me since FC5 but ever the glutton for punishment I decided to try again. I'm using 64 bit Fedora 7 on a Compaq R3000z with a POS Broadcom ...

  1. Ndiswrapper on 64 bit Fedora 7

    I thought I'd give Ndiswrapper a try again, it hasn't worked for me since
    FC5 but ever the glutton for punishment I decided to try again.

    I'm using 64 bit Fedora 7 on a Compaq R3000z with a POS Broadcom Wireless
    chip.

    I've done the following,

    Install 64 bit ndiswrapper from Livna
    Added the following to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

    blacklist bcm43xx
    blacklist bcm43xx_mac80211

    Downloaded the 64 bit Broadcom drivers from

    http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/drivers.php

    Installed the driver,
    ndiswrapper -i netbc564.inf

    ndiswrapper -l
    netbc564 : driver installed
    device (14E4:4320) present (alternate driver: ssb)

    Added the following to /etc/modprobe.conf

    alias wlan0 ndiswrapper

    I set it up using system-config-networking

    When I do an ifup I get

    ifup wlan0
    SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
    Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
    SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
    Failed to bring up wlan0.

    If I try a iwlist scanning I get

    lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

    eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

    wmaster0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

    wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down

    vmnet8 Interface doesn't support scanning.

    vmnet1 Interface doesn't support scanning.

    Has anyone gotten the Broadcom chip working with 64 bit Fedora 7? How
    about with 32 bit Fedora 7?

  2. Re: Ndiswrapper on 64 bit Fedora 7

    On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 21:17:31 +0000, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > I thought I'd give Ndiswrapper a try again, it hasn't worked for me since
    > FC5 but ever the glutton for punishment I decided to try again.
    >
    > I'm using 64 bit Fedora 7 on a Compaq R3000z with a POS Broadcom Wireless
    > chip.
    >
    > I've done the following,
    >
    > Install 64 bit ndiswrapper from Livna
    > Added the following to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    >
    > blacklist bcm43xx
    > blacklist bcm43xx_mac80211
    >
    > Downloaded the 64 bit Broadcom drivers from
    >
    > http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/drivers.php
    >
    > Installed the driver,
    > ndiswrapper -i netbc564.inf
    >
    > ndiswrapper -l
    > netbc564 : driver installed
    > device (14E4:4320) present (alternate driver: ssb)
    >
    > Added the following to /etc/modprobe.conf
    >
    > alias wlan0 ndiswrapper
    >
    > I set it up using system-config-networking
    >
    > When I do an ifup I get
    >
    > ifup wlan0
    > SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
    > Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    > SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
    > SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
    > Failed to bring up wlan0.
    >
    > If I try a iwlist scanning I get
    >
    > lo Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >
    > eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >
    > wmaster0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >
    > wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down
    >
    > vmnet8 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >
    > vmnet1 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >
    > Has anyone gotten the Broadcom chip working with 64 bit Fedora 7? How
    > about with 32 bit Fedora 7?

    I have it working flawlessly on HP/Compaq F572US, under Gentoo. Had to
    rmmod the bcm43xx driver then move it (renamed) to keep it from mucking up
    the works. Then used the bcmwl5 driver from XP using ndiswrapper ......
    flawless ever since (even using wpa_supplicant and WPA encryption). HTH

  3. Re: Ndiswrapper on 64 bit Fedora 7

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > I thought I'd give Ndiswrapper a try again, it hasn't worked for me since
    > FC5 but ever the glutton for punishment I decided to try again.
    >
    > I'm using 64 bit Fedora 7 on a Compaq R3000z with a POS Broadcom Wireless
    > chip.
    >
    > I've done the following,
    >
    > Install 64 bit ndiswrapper from Livna
    > Added the following to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    >
    > blacklist bcm43xx
    > blacklist bcm43xx_mac80211
    >
    > Downloaded the 64 bit Broadcom drivers from
    >
    > http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/drivers.php
    >
    > Installed the driver,
    > ndiswrapper -i netbc564.inf
    >
    > ndiswrapper -l
    > netbc564 : driver installed
    > device (14E4:4320) present (alternate driver: ssb)
    >
    > Added the following to /etc/modprobe.conf
    >
    > alias wlan0 ndiswrapper
    >
    > I set it up using system-config-networking
    >
    > When I do an ifup I get
    >
    > ifup wlan0
    > SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
    > Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    > SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
    > SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
    > Failed to bring up wlan0.
    >
    > If I try a iwlist scanning I get
    >
    > lo Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >
    > eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >
    > wmaster0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >
    > wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down
    >
    > vmnet8 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >
    > vmnet1 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >
    > Has anyone gotten the Broadcom chip working with 64 bit Fedora 7? How
    > about with 32 bit Fedora 7?

    The native bcm43xx driver works better on my openSUSE 10.2/3 x86_64 system than the Windows XP
    system does. From what I read, the rawhide test kernels for F7 also work very well.

    Larry

  4. Re: Ndiswrapper on 64 bit Fedora 7

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 23:19:59 +0000, Larry Finger wrote:
    >
    >> General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >>> I thought I'd give Ndiswrapper a try again, it hasn't worked for me
    >>> since FC5 but ever the glutton for punishment I decided to try again.
    >>>
    >>> I'm using 64 bit Fedora 7 on a Compaq R3000z with a POS Broadcom
    >>> Wireless chip.
    >>>
    >>> I've done the following,
    >>>
    >>> Install 64 bit ndiswrapper from Livna Added the following to
    >>> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    >>>
    >>> blacklist bcm43xx
    >>> blacklist bcm43xx_mac80211
    >>>
    >>> Downloaded the 64 bit Broadcom drivers from
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/drivers.php
    >>>
    >>> Installed the driver,
    >>> ndiswrapper -i netbc564.inf
    >>>
    >>> ndiswrapper -l
    >>> netbc564 : driver installed
    >>> device (14E4:4320) present (alternate driver: ssb)
    >>>
    >>> Added the following to /etc/modprobe.conf
    >>>
    >>> alias wlan0 ndiswrapper
    >>>
    >>> I set it up using system-config-networking
    >>>
    >>> When I do an ifup I get
    >>>
    >>> ifup wlan0
    >>> SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory Error for wireless request "Set
    >>> Mode" (8B06) :
    >>> SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
    >>> SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory Failed to bring up wlan0.
    >>>
    >>> If I try a iwlist scanning I get
    >>>
    >>> lo Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >>>
    >>> eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >>>
    >>> wmaster0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >>>
    >>> wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down
    >>>
    >>> vmnet8 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >>>
    >>> vmnet1 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone gotten the Broadcom chip working with 64 bit Fedora 7? How
    >>> about with 32 bit Fedora 7?
    >>>

    >> The native bcm43xx driver works better on my openSUSE 10.2/3 x86_64
    >> system than the Windows XP system does. From what I read, the rawhide
    >> test kernels for F7 also work very well.
    >>
    >> Larry

    > I've been trying it on 32 F7, I can't get it to work there either. I also
    > tried bcm43xx, that doesn't work either.

    Care to post the output of 'dmesg | grep bcm' when trying bcm43xx?

    Larry

  5. Re: Ndiswrapper on 64 bit Fedora 7

    On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 01:34:30 +0000, Larry Finger wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >>> The native bcm43xx driver works better on my openSUSE 10.2/3 x86_64
    >>> system than the Windows XP system does. From what I read, the rawhide
    >>> test kernels for F7 also work very well.
    >>>
    >>> Larry

    >> I've been trying it on 32 F7, I can't get it to work there either. I
    >> also tried bcm43xx, that doesn't work either.

    > Care to post the output of 'dmesg | grep bcm' when trying bcm43xx?
    >
    > Larry

    I've removed Ndiswrapper and deleted the blacklist entries for bcm43xx.

    dmesg | grep bcm
    bcm43xx driver

    I added an entry to modprobe.conf,

    alias wlan0 bcm43xx

    And I used fwcutter on BCMWL564.SYS to put the firmware into

    /lib64/firmware

    It doesn't work,

    ifup wlan0
    SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not supported
    SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not supported
    Failed to bring up wlan0.

  6. Re: Ndiswrapper on 64 bit Fedora 7

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > I've removed Ndiswrapper and deleted the blacklist entries for bcm43xx.
    >
    > dmesg | grep bcm
    > bcm43xx driver
    >
    > I added an entry to modprobe.conf,
    >
    > alias wlan0 bcm43xx
    >
    > And I used fwcutter on BCMWL564.SYS to put the firmware into
    >
    > /lib64/firmware
    >
    > It doesn't work,
    >
    > ifup wlan0
    > SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not supported
    > SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not supported
    > Failed to bring up wlan0.

    The SIOCSIFFLAGS messages are probably not important.

    Is this a prebuilt kernel from a distro, or did you build it yourself. If the latter, please turn on
    debugging for bcm43xx.

    When you issue an 'lspci -v' command, what does the entry for the wireless LAN device show? What is
    the output from an iwconfig command?

    Larry

  7. Re: Ndiswrapper on 64 bit Fedora 7

    On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 04:26:33 +0000, Larry Finger wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >>
    >> I've removed Ndiswrapper and deleted the blacklist entries for bcm43xx.
    >>
    >> dmesg | grep bcm
    >> bcm43xx driver
    >>
    >> I added an entry to modprobe.conf,
    >>
    >> alias wlan0 bcm43xx
    >>
    >> And I used fwcutter on BCMWL564.SYS to put the firmware into
    >>
    >> /lib64/firmware
    >>
    >> It doesn't work,
    >>
    >> ifup wlan0
    >> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not supported SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not
    >> supported Failed to bring up wlan0.

    > The SIOCSIFFLAGS messages are probably not important.
    >
    > Is this a prebuilt kernel from a distro, or did you build it yourself.
    > If the latter, please turn on debugging for bcm43xx.
    >
    > When you issue an 'lspci -v' command, what does the entry for the
    > wireless LAN device show? What is the output from an iwconfig command?
    >
    > Larry

    This is a Fedora kernel, 2.6.22.5-76.fc7

    02:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g
    Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company NX9500 Built-in Wireless
    Memory at e0104000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]

    iwconfig -v wlan0
    iwconfig Wireless-Tools version 28
    Compatible with Wireless Extension v11 to v20.

    Kernel Currently compiled with Wireless Extension v22.

    wlan0 Recommend Wireless Extension v21 or later,
    Currently compiled with Wireless Extension v22.

    wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
    Mode:Ad-Hoc Frequency:2.462 GHz Cell: Not-Associated
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
    Encryption keyff
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

  8. Re: Ndiswrapper on 64 bit Fedora 7

    I had the same problem due to a new driver "ssb" that needs to be
    added to the blacklist so it doesn't conflict with ndiswrapper:

    With a reboot -- add to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist then reboot

    Without a reboot --
    add "blacklist ssb" to the bottom of /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    # modprobe -r ssb
    # modprobe -r ndiswrapper
    # modprobe ndiswrapper
    # iwconfig
    (you will see output for your wireless card interface-- probably
    wlan0)
    # iwlist wlan0 scan
    (should show wireless access points available)

  9. Re: Ndiswrapper on 64 bit Fedora 7

    On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 09:04:49 -0700, davejones70 wrote:

    > modprobe -r ssb

    I'll give that a try.

    Josh

  10. Re: Ndiswrapper on 64 bit Fedora 7

    On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 09:04:49 -0700, davejones70 wrote:

    > I had the same problem due to a new driver "ssb" that needs to be added
    > to the blacklist so it doesn't conflict with ndiswrapper:
    >
    > With a reboot -- add to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist then reboot
    >
    > Without a reboot --
    > add "blacklist ssb" to the bottom of /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist #
    > modprobe -r ssb
    > # modprobe -r ndiswrapper
    > # modprobe ndiswrapper
    > # iwconfig
    > (you will see output for your wireless card interface-- probably wlan0)
    > # iwlist wlan0 scan
    > (should show wireless access points available)

    It's still not working, I've put the following in
    /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    blacklist ssb
    blacklist bcm43xx
    blacklist bcm43xx_mac80211

    I have the following in /etc/modprobe.conf
    alias wlan0 ndiswrapper

    ndiswrapper -l
    netbc564 : driver installed
    device (14E4:4320) present (alternate driver: ssb)

    dmseg | grep ndiswrapper
    ndiswrapper version 1.46 loaded (smp=yes)
    ndiswrapper (link_pe_images:577): fixing KI_USER_SHARED_DATA address in
    the driver
    ndiswrapper: driver netbc564 (,10/01/2002,3.70.17.5) loaded
    ndiswrapper: using IRQ 17
    usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
    ndiswrapper (iw_set_bitrate:493): setting bit rate failed (C00000BB)

    iwlist scanning
    wlan0 No scan results

    iwconfig wlan0
    wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSIDff/any Nickname:"ranger.bjrosen.com"
    Mode:Auto Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power:25 dBm
    RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

    There are lots of access points nearby. If I do a site survey using one
    of my Dlink DCS G900 wireless cameras I get,

    TaskForce34 00 0F B5 28 20 40 11 WEP 93
    NETGEAR 00 90 4C 7E 00 64 11 No 35
    Cityplace 00 18 3F 5E A1 01 10 WEP 26
    quicken3 00 14 6C 14 81 EC 8 No 26
    florida 00 1A 70 4E 43 1D 11 WEP 20
    lenasplace 00 18 39 40 01 74 11 WEP 20

    What else do I need it to do?

  11. Re: Ndiswrapper on 64 bit Fedora 7

    On Oct 2, 12:21 am, General Schvantzkoph
    wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 09:04:49 -0700, davejones70 wrote:
    > > I had the same problem due to a new driver "ssb" that needs to be added
    > > to the blacklist so it doesn't conflict with ndiswrapper:

    > > With a reboot -- add to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist then reboot

    > > Without a reboot --
    > > add "blacklist ssb" to the bottom of /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist #
    > > modprobe -r ssb
    > > # modprobe -r ndiswrapper
    > > # modprobe ndiswrapper
    > > # iwconfig
    > > (you will see output for your wireless card interface-- probably wlan0)
    > > # iwlist wlan0 scan
    > > (should show wireless access points available)

    > It's still not working, I've put the following in
    > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    > blacklist ssb
    > blacklist bcm43xx
    > blacklist bcm43xx_mac80211
    >
    > I have the following in /etc/modprobe.conf
    > alias wlan0 ndiswrapper
    >
    > ndiswrapper -l
    > netbc564 : driver installed
    > device (14E4:4320) present (alternate driver: ssb)
    >
    > dmseg | grep ndiswrapper
    > ndiswrapper version 1.46 loaded (smp=yes)
    > ndiswrapper (link_pe_images:577): fixing KI_USER_SHARED_DATA address in
    > the driver
    > ndiswrapper: driver netbc564 (,10/01/2002,3.70.17.5) loaded
    > ndiswrapper: using IRQ 17
    > usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
    > ndiswrapper (iw_set_bitrate:493): setting bit rate failed (C00000BB)
    >
    > iwlist scanning
    > wlan0 No scan results
    >
    > iwconfig wlan0
    > wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSIDff/any Nickname:"ranger.bjrosen.com"
    > Mode:Auto Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    > Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power:25 dBm
    > RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    > Power Managementff
    > Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    > Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    > Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    >
    > There are lots of access points nearby. If I do a site survey using one
    > of my Dlink DCS G900 wireless cameras I get,
    >
    > TaskForce34 00 0F B5 28 20 40 11 WEP 93
    > NETGEAR 00 90 4C 7E 00 64 11 No 35
    > Cityplace 00 18 3F 5E A1 01 10 WEP 26
    > quicken3 00 14 6C 14 81 EC 8 No 26
    > florida 00 1A 70 4E 43 1D 11 WEP 20
    > lenasplace 00 18 39 40 01 74 11 WEP 20
    >
    > What else do I need it to do?

    Were you getting this far before you blacklisted the ssb driver? Does
    the "lsmod | grep ndiswrapper" look better than before?

    Anyway, it might be a driver problem since you can talk to the card
    but all of the values are zero. If you can't find another 64-bit
    driver for your wireless card, then this might be one of those reasons
    making 64-bit difficult to run because of the lack of hardware drivers
    for some devices.

  12. Re: Ndiswrapper on 64 bit Fedora 7

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > I thought I'd give Ndiswrapper a try again, it hasn't worked for me since
    > FC5 but ever the glutton for punishment I decided to try again.
    >
    > I'm using 64 bit Fedora 7 on a Compaq R3000z with a POS Broadcom Wireless
    > chip.
    >
    > I've done the following,
    >
    > Install 64 bit ndiswrapper from Livna
    > Added the following to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    >
    > blacklist bcm43xx
    > blacklist bcm43xx_mac80211
    >
    > Downloaded the 64 bit Broadcom drivers from
    >
    > http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/drivers.php
    >
    > Installed the driver,
    > ndiswrapper -i netbc564.inf
    >
    > ndiswrapper -l
    > netbc564 : driver installed
    > device (14E4:4320) present (alternate driver: ssb)
    >
    > Added the following to /etc/modprobe.conf
    >
    > alias wlan0 ndiswrapper
    >
    > I set it up using system-config-networking
    >
    > When I do an ifup I get
    >
    > ifup wlan0
    > SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
    > Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    > SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
    > SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
    > Failed to bring up wlan0.
    >
    > If I try a iwlist scanning I get
    >
    > lo Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >
    > eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >
    > wmaster0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >
    > wlan0 Interface doesn't support scanning : Network is down
    >
    > vmnet8 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >
    > vmnet1 Interface doesn't support scanning.
    >
    > Has anyone gotten the Broadcom chip working with 64 bit Fedora 7? How
    > about with 32 bit Fedora 7?

    See my other post up there ^

    I have two broadcom chip set a 4303 and a 4318 I just bought. Both running
    on 32 bit FC7. The 4318 don't like a kernel less than 2.6.23, and the 4303
    don't like a kernel less than 2.6.21. I am using the bcm43 drivers from
    the kernel. Stopped using ndiswrappers because every time you upgrade the
    kernel it's uninstall compile install and rinse. With the kernel drivers
    it just works.

    I have found that they work the best with the version 4 or later firmware.
    Cut me own firmware from the Dell CD.

    The errors you get above where the same as what I got until I used the
    2.6.23 kernel.

    added to modprobe.conf

    alias eth0 b44
    alias wlan0 bcm43xx

    And used the KDE Network config GUI and we be talkin`

    --
    Dancin in the ruins tonight
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

+ Reply to Thread