I posted a message describing how I could not get a plain vanilla case
of WPA to work with my Atheros based laptop. (WEP worked fine).

My plan, as of right now, is as follows:

1) Install the latest madwifi drivers from MadWifi SVN
2) Install the latest wpa_supplicant from dev version
3) Try NetworkManagerDispatcher as suggested by Scott.

I can only try this when I get home in the evening. I already compiled
and installed madwifi and wpa_supplicant.

My opinion is crystallizing that the root of the issue is
wpa_supplicant, not properly getting authorization.