Is there any lvie human being who was able to set up WPA - Networking

This is a discussion on Is there any lvie human being who was able to set up WPA - Networking ; If so, how did you do it. No matter what I do, this **** does not work and gives incomprehensible details like ioctl[SIOCGIFADDR]: Cannot assign requested address I spent 2 days and read a ****load of howtos. None help. i...

  1. Is there any lvie human being who was able to set up WPA

    If so, how did you do it. No matter what I do, this **** does not work
    and gives incomprehensible details like

    ioctl[SIOCGIFADDR]: Cannot assign requested address

    I spent 2 days and read a ****load of howtos. None help.

  2. Re: Is there any lvie human being who was able to set up WPA

    Ignoramus2932 wrote:
    > If so, how did you do it. No matter what I do, this **** does not work
    > and gives incomprehensible details like
    >
    > ioctl[SIOCGIFADDR]: Cannot assign requested address
    >
    > I spent 2 days and read a ****load of howtos. None help.

    Could you please give more information? Are you using ifconfig? Do you have wpa_supplicant installed?

    If the answers to the above questions are all "yes", then you need to prepare two files. The first
    is /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-XXXXX, where XXXXX is the name of your wireless interface such as
    wlan0 or eth1, etc. The folder for your system may be different. The contents of this file should be
    as follows:

    BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
    STARTMODE='ifplugd'
    USERCONTROL='yes'
    WIRELESS_AUTH_MODE='psk'
    WIRELESS_BITRATE='auto'
    WIRELESS_DEFAULT_KEY='0'
    WIRELESS_ESSID=''
    WIRELESS_KEY_LENGTH='128'
    WIRELESS_MODE='Managed'
    WIRELESS_POWER='yes'
    WIRELESS_WPA_PSK=''

    The second file you need is /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and it should contain the following:

    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    network={
    scan_ssid=1
    ssid=""
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    psk=""
    }

    Larry

  3. Re: Is there any lvie human being who was able to set up WPA

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 04:30:01 GMT, Larry Finger wrote:
    > Ignoramus2932 wrote:
    >> If so, how did you do it. No matter what I do, this **** does not work
    >> and gives incomprehensible details like
    >>
    >> ioctl[SIOCGIFADDR]: Cannot assign requested address
    >>
    >> I spent 2 days and read a ****load of howtos. None help.

    > Could you please give more information? Are you using ifconfig? Do you have wpa_supplicant installed?

    I can give you any information you might request.

    I am using ifconfig and wpa_supplicant.

    > If the answers to the above questions are all "yes", then you need to prepare two files. The first
    > is /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-XXXXX, where XXXXX is the name of your wireless interface such as
    > wlan0 or eth1, etc. The folder for your system may be different. The contents of this file should be
    > as follows:
    >
    > BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
    > STARTMODE='ifplugd'
    > USERCONTROL='yes'
    > WIRELESS_AUTH_MODE='psk'
    > WIRELESS_BITRATE='auto'
    > WIRELESS_DEFAULT_KEY='0'
    > WIRELESS_ESSID=''
    > WIRELESS_KEY_LENGTH='128'
    > WIRELESS_MODE='Managed'
    > WIRELESS_POWER='yes'
    > WIRELESS_WPA_PSK=''
    >
    > The second file you need is /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf and it should contain the following:
    >
    > ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    > network={
    > scan_ssid=1
    > ssid=""
    > key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    > psk=""
    > }

    Here's my file /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-ath0

    DEVICE=ath0
    ONBOOT=no
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    HWADDR=00:19:7d:84:df:06
    NETMASK=
    DHCP_HOSTNAME=
    IPADDR=
    DOMAIN=
    TYPE=Wireless
    ESSID=susliki
    CHANNEL=1
    MODE=Master
    RATE=Auto
    USERCTL=no
    IPV6INIT=no
    PEERDNS=yes

    WIRELESS_AUTH_MODE='psk'
    WIRELESS_BITRATE='auto'
    WIRELESS_DEFAULT_KEY='0'
    WIRELESS_ESSID='susliki'
    WIRELESS_KEY_LENGTH='128'
    WIRELESS_MODE='Managed'
    WIRELESS_POWER='yes'
    WIRELESS_WPA_PSK='mypasswd'

    Here's my /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    ctrl_interface_group=wheel

    #network={
    # ssid="any"
    # key_mgmt=NONE
    #}

    # run wpa_passphrase susliki 2mp84e2z, and get:

    network={
    ssid="susliki"
    scan_ssid=1
    #proto=WPA RSN
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    #pairwise=TKIP
    #group=TKIP
    #psk="2mp84e2z"
    psk=832d68c995fc26db1eef2e3bebebc1c39409bc8e673f2e 69ebfd8a99bdce8be0
    }

    Now what do I run?

  4. Re: Is there any lvie human being who was able to set up WPA

    Not to distract from the issue at hand, but I have a question. The way
    my wife set up her Windows XP laptop to use my WEP access point was as
    follows:

    0) she scanned the network
    1) She picked the network (ESSID) from the scanned networks list
    2) She said that it is using WEP and DHCP
    3) She typed in the WEP password.

    It (gasp) worked.

    I do not really understand what is there to the issue that could not
    be addressed by proper scripts that detect networks, figure out the
    drivers, tell this goddamn supplicant to do what is necessary,
    properly report status and errors, and then run dhclient.

    Why do I have to go through this?

    A bunch of "guis" that I tried either crash outright, or do not work
    and give me no clue as to what could be wrong.

    My biggest problem is that all those programs basically do not have
    proper documentation and do not properly report what is going on.

    I used to use WEP, tried switching to WPA before, it did not work, now
    I have Fedora 7, WEP is beyond obsolete, so I am trying again.

  5. Re: Is there any lvie human being who was able to set up WPA

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 00:16:20 -0500, Ignoramus2932 wrote:
    > Not to distract from the issue at hand, but I have a question. The way
    > my wife set up her Windows XP laptop to use my WEP access point was as
    > follows:
    >
    > 0) she scanned the network
    > 1) She picked the network (ESSID) from the scanned networks list
    > 2) She said that it is using WEP and DHCP
    > 3) She typed in the WEP password.

    replace WEP with WPA.

    > It (gasp) worked.
    >
    > I do not really understand what is there to the issue that could not
    > be addressed by proper scripts that detect networks, figure out the
    > drivers, tell this goddamn supplicant to do what is necessary,
    > properly report status and errors, and then run dhclient.
    >
    > Why do I have to go through this?
    >
    > A bunch of "guis" that I tried either crash outright, or do not work
    > and give me no clue as to what could be wrong.
    >
    > My biggest problem is that all those programs basically do not have
    > proper documentation and do not properly report what is going on.
    >
    > I used to use WEP, tried switching to WPA before, it did not work, now
    > I have Fedora 7, WEP is beyond obsolete, so I am trying again.

  6. Re: Is there any lvie human being who was able to set up WPA

  7. Re: Is there any lvie human being who was able to set up WPA

    Ignoramus2932 wrote:

    > Here's my file /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-ath0
    >
    > DEVICE=ath0
    > ONBOOT=no
    > BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    > HWADDR=00:19:7d:84:df:06
    > NETMASK=
    > DHCP_HOSTNAME=
    > IPADDR=
    > DOMAIN=
    > TYPE=Wireless
    > ESSID=susliki
    > CHANNEL=1
    > MODE=Master
    > RATE=Auto
    > USERCTL=no
    > IPV6INIT=no
    > PEERDNS=yes
    >
    > WIRELESS_AUTH_MODE='psk'
    > WIRELESS_BITRATE='auto'
    > WIRELESS_DEFAULT_KEY='0'
    > WIRELESS_ESSID='susliki'
    > WIRELESS_KEY_LENGTH='128'
    > WIRELESS_MODE='Managed'
    > WIRELESS_POWER='yes'
    > WIRELESS_WPA_PSK='mypasswd'

    First thng that comes to mind ^^^:
    That should match your entry in wpa_supplicant.conf.

    > Here's my /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
    >
    > ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    > ctrl_interface_group=wheel
    >
    > #network={
    > # ssid="any"
    > # key_mgmt=NONE
    > #}
    >
    > # run wpa_passphrase susliki 2mp84e2z, *and get:
    >
    > network={
    > ssid="susliki"
    > scan_ssid=1
    > #proto=WPA RSN
    > key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    > #pairwise=TKIP
    > #group=TKIP
    > #psk="2mp84e2z"

    psk=832d68c995fc26db1eef2e3bebebc1c39409bc8e673f2e 69ebfd8a99bdce8be0
    > }
    >

    > Now what do I run?

    Well, you have to run wpa_supplicant from somewhere and then bring
    your interface up. I do it actually w/o using the network scripts
    from my distro (slack). I do it from rc.local:

    #!/bin/sh
    #
    # /etc/rc.d/rc.local: Local system initialization script.
    #
    # Put any local setup commands in here:
    /usr/bin/wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta
    /sbin/iwpriv ath0 mode 3
    /sbin/iwpriv ath0 turbo 1
    /sbin/iwpriv ath0 keymgtalgs 2
    /sbin/iwconfig ath0 essid Bellson nick pocaro channel 6 rate
    54Mbps
    /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -i ath0 -d -D
    madwifi -B

    All you have to do now is to bring the inteface up or down:

    Up:

    #!/bin/sh
    /sbin/ifconfig ath0 mtu 1492 192.168.1.110 up
    /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.1.1

    Down:

    #!/bin/sh
    /sbin/ifconfig ath0 down

    I don't use dhcp, but you can easily modify the up script for
    dhcp.

    HTH
    Joerg
    --
    For email use g m x d o t n e t

  8. Re: Is there any lvie human being who was able to set up WPA

    On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 22:37:08 -0700, Guillermo Antonio Amaral Bastidas wrote:

    > Ignoramus2932 wrote:
    >
    >> I used to use WEP, tried switching to WPA before, it did not work, now
    >> I have Fedora 7, WEP is beyond obsolete, so I am trying again.

    > Try looking up wpa_supplicant, it's quite easy to setup using it, I have
    > no idea how to do it in Fedora ( since I use Gentoo ).

    I did "look it up", and spent two days trying to make it work. It
    would not work, it would change state from
    DISCONNECTED-ASSOCIATING-ASSOCIATED-DISCONNECTED ands so on.

  9. Re: Is there any lvie human being who was able to set up WPA

    On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:44:56 +0200, Joerg wrote:
> [...]

    > #
    > # Put any local setup commands in here:
    > /usr/bin/wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta
    > /sbin/iwpriv ath0 mode 3
    > /sbin/iwpriv ath0 turbo 1
    > /sbin/iwpriv ath0 keymgtalgs 2
    > /sbin/iwconfig ath0 essid Bellson nick pocaro channel 6 rate
    > 54Mbps
    > /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -i ath0 -d -D
    > madwifi -B
    >
    > All you have to do now is to bring the inteface up or down:
    >
    > Up:
    >
    > #!/bin/sh
    > /sbin/ifconfig ath0 mtu 1492 192.168.1.110 up
    > /sbin/route add default gw 192.168.1.1
    >
    > Down:
    >
    > #!/bin/sh
    > /sbin/ifconfig ath0 down
    >
    > I don't use dhcp, but you can easily modify the up script for

    Joerg, this is a good start, and I like the script approach since I
    use it elsewhere. I will try it tonight.

  10. Re: Is there any lvie human being who was able to set up WPA

    Ignoramus2932 writes:

    > Not to distract from the issue at hand, but I have a question. The way
    > my wife set up her Windows XP laptop to use my WEP access point was as
    > follows:
    >
    > 0) she scanned the network
    > 1) She picked the network (ESSID) from the scanned networks list
    > 2) She said that it is using WEP and DHCP
    > 3) She typed in the WEP password.
    >
    > It (gasp) worked.
    >
    > I do not really understand what is there to the issue that could not
    > be addressed by proper scripts that detect networks, figure out the
    > drivers, tell this goddamn supplicant to do what is necessary,
    > properly report status and errors, and then run dhclient.
    >
    > Why do I have to go through this?
    >
    > A bunch of "guis" that I tried either crash outright, or do not work
    > and give me no clue as to what could be wrong.
    >
    > My biggest problem is that all those programs basically do not have
    > proper documentation and do not properly report what is going on.
    >
    > I used to use WEP, tried switching to WPA before, it did not work, now
    > I have Fedora 7, WEP is beyond obsolete, so I am trying again.

    If you have Fedora 7, just use NetworkManager along with
    NetworkManagerDispatcher. Don't edit scripts--just choose the network
    and enter the password.

    Scott
    --
    Scott Hemphill hemphill@alumni.caltech.edu
    "This isn't flying. This is falling, with style." -- Buzz Lightyear

  11. Re: Is there any lvie human being who was able to set up WPA

    On 21 Sep 2007 09:52:45 -0400, Scott Hemphill wrote:
    > Ignoramus2932 writes:
    >
    >> Not to distract from the issue at hand, but I have a question. The way
    >> my wife set up her Windows XP laptop to use my WEP access point was as
    >> follows:
    >>
    >> 0) she scanned the network
    >> 1) She picked the network (ESSID) from the scanned networks list
    >> 2) She said that it is using WEP and DHCP
    >> 3) She typed in the WEP password.
    >>
    >> It (gasp) worked.
    >>
    >> I do not really understand what is there to the issue that could not
    >> be addressed by proper scripts that detect networks, figure out the
    >> drivers, tell this goddamn supplicant to do what is necessary,
    >> properly report status and errors, and then run dhclient.
    >>
    >> Why do I have to go through this?
    >>
    >> A bunch of "guis" that I tried either crash outright, or do not work
    >> and give me no clue as to what could be wrong.
    >>
    >> My biggest problem is that all those programs basically do not have
    >> proper documentation and do not properly report what is going on.
    >>
    >> I used to use WEP, tried switching to WPA before, it did not work, now
    >> I have Fedora 7, WEP is beyond obsolete, so I am trying again.

    > If you have Fedora 7, just use NetworkManager along with
    > NetworkManagerDispatcher. Don't edit scripts--just choose the network
    > and enter the password.

    Scott, thanks, I will try that tonight.