xinetd : Bad line received from identity server NO-USER - Networking

This is a discussion on xinetd : Bad line received from identity server NO-USER - Networking ; Hi all, I need some help. I run an application on a 'mexico' computer, which rsh to many others computers to run jobs, using rsh and rcp commands. All works fine, but sometime, after hours of jobs and thousands of ...

  1. xinetd : Bad line received from identity server NO-USER

    Hi all,

    I need some help.
    I run an application on a 'mexico' computer, which rsh to many others
    computers to run jobs, using rsh and rcp commands. All works fine, but
    sometime, after hours of jobs and thousands of successful rsh and rcp
    commands, the 'mexico' computer can't rsh to the 'rio' computer.
    There is no particular event logged on the 'mexico' computer.
    On the 'rio' computer, log message until the faulty rsh is :

    Sep 13 20:07:13 rio pam_rhosts_auth[8462]: allowed to gregoire@mexico as
    gregoire
    Sep 13 20:07:13 rio rsh(pam_unix)[8462]: session opened for user
    gregoire by (uid=0)
    Sep 13 20:07:13 rio rsh(pam_unix)[8462]: session closed for user gregoire
    Sep 13 20:07:18 rio pam_rhosts_auth[8488]: allowed to gregoire@mexico as
    gregoire
    Sep 13 20:07:18 rio rsh(pam_unix)[8488]: session opened for user
    gregoire by (uid=0)
    Sep 13 20:07:18 rio rsh(pam_unix)[8488]: session closed for user gregoire
    Sep 13 20:07:18 rio pam_rhosts_auth[8515]: allowed to gregoire@mexico as
    gregoire
    Sep 13 20:07:18 rio rsh(pam_unix)[8515]: session opened for user
    gregoire by (uid=0)
    Sep 13 20:07:19 rio pam_rhosts_auth[8540]: allowed to gregoire@mexico as
    gregoire
    Sep 13 20:07:19 rio rsh(pam_unix)[8540]: session opened for user
    gregoire by (uid=0)
    Sep 13 20:07:26 rio rsh(pam_unix)[8540]: session closed for user gregoire
    Sep 13 20:07:41 rio xinetd[8572]: Bad line received from identity server
    at 192.168.1.80: 563 , 514 : ERROR :NO-USER

    (mexico computer is 192.168.1.80)

    'mexico' computer is a Linux Kernel 2.6.9-34 RedHat Enterprise 4, two
    processor Opteron 246 and 16gb ram. My running application is 32bits.
    'rio' computer is a Linux Knerel 2.4.21-4 RedHat Enterprise3, one
    processor Duron and 2gb ram.
    And the Nis server is a Sun running Solaris 2.8. Nis server was recently
    patched with the latest update because large amount of request crash the
    ypserv service. Now it seems to work correctly.

    Does anyone can give me a clue to find what's wring ?

    Thanks for your help.

    Grégoire Avot.

  2. Re: xinetd : Bad line received from identity server NO-USER

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    article <46ea4bc8$0$14829$426a74cc@news.free.fr>, Gregoire Avot wrote:

    >I run an application on a 'mexico' computer, which rsh to many others
    >computers to run jobs, using rsh and rcp commands. All works fine, but
    >sometime, after hours of jobs and thousands of successful rsh and rcp
    >commands, the 'mexico' computer can't rsh to the 'rio' computer.

    Wow - haven't seen rsh and rcp used in a long time. The fact that you
    are also running NIS means you are aware there is virtually no security
    in these protocols.

    >There is no particular event logged on the 'mexico' computer.

    Not even an error message that the 'rsh' failed?

    >On the 'rio' computer, log message until the faulty rsh is :

    >Sep 13 20:07:41 rio xinetd[8572]: Bad line received from identity server
    >at 192.168.1.80: 563 , 514 : ERROR :NO-USER
    >(mexico computer is 192.168.1.80)

    You'll have to look there - the identity server says that the user does
    not exist.

    >'mexico' computer is a Linux Kernel 2.6.9-34 RedHat Enterprise 4, two
    >processor Opteron 246 and 16gb ram. My running application is 32bits.

    How busy is it?

    >'rio' computer is a Linux Knerel 2.4.21-4 RedHat Enterprise3, one
    >processor Duron and 2gb ram.

    while very old, it's probably not the cause of the problem.

    >And the Nis server is a Sun running Solaris 2.8. Nis server was recently
    >patched with the latest update because large amount of request crash the
    >ypserv service. Now it seems to work correctly.

    None the less, that could be the problem. I'd run a packet sniffer to
    see if NIS is the problem - the 'mexico' system being unable to get the
    right identity tokens.

    Old guy

  3. Re: xinetd : Bad line received from identity server NO-USER

    Thanks a lot for your response.
    I found the problem : since each rsh/rcp request open a new socket which
    stay in "TIME_WAIT" for two minutes, the computer ran out of free port.
    This causes random problem (nis failure...)
    I solve the problem by writing a tcl script which handle file transfer
    and run command with a persistant connexion between computers. Now
    everything works well, and faster !

+ Reply to Thread