firestarter problem - Networking

This is a discussion on firestarter problem - Networking ; Hello, I connect to Internet using KNetworkManager over eth0 to ADSL modem. Everything works great, no problems there. But, today I connected my sister's winXP through a crossover to my eth1, started firestarter and did that incredibly trivial wizard. When ...

  1. firestarter problem

    Hello,

    I connect to Internet using KNetworkManager over eth0 to ADSL
    modem. Everything works great, no problems there. But, today I
    connected my sister's winXP through a crossover to my eth1, started
    firestarter and did that incredibly trivial wizard. When I click
    "save" on that wizard (or whenever i try to start the firewall) I get
    "Failed to start the firewall. The device eth0 is not ready." error.
    What do you mean "not ready", I'm using eth0 while writing this
    post... And, of course, the winXP machine can't reach the Internet.
    Google didn't help since doesn't seem to anything much to configure
    in firestarter... I don't know where to start solving this problem.
    Ideas?

    --
    "Now the storm has passed over me
    I'm left to drift on a dead calm sea

  2. Re: firestarter problem

    Hello,

    Nikola Skoric a écrit :

    > I connect to Internet using KNetworkManager over eth0 to ADSL
    > modem. Everything works great, no problems there. But, today I
    > connected my sister's winXP through a crossover to my eth1,
    > started firestarter and did that incredibly trivial wizard.

    Do you mean that you didn't use firestarter before ?

    > When I click
    > "save" on that wizard (or whenever i try to start the firewall) I get
    > "Failed to start the firewall. The device eth0 is not ready." error.
    > What do you mean "not ready", I'm using eth0 while writing this
    > post...

    The output of "ifconfig -a" may help tell what's wrong with eth0.

    > And, of course, the winXP machine can't reach the Internet.

    Are the two boxes able to communicate with each other at IP layer at least ?

  3. Re: firestarter problem

    Dana Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:54:37 +0200,
    Pascal Hambourg kaze:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Nikola Skoric a écrit :
    >>
    >> I connect to Internet using KNetworkManager over eth0 to ADSL
    >> modem. Everything works great, no problems there. But, today I
    >> connected my sister's winXP through a crossover to my eth1,
    >> started firestarter and did that incredibly trivial wizard.

    > Do you mean that you didn't use firestarter before ?

    Sorry for the delay, I had angina in the mean time :-)

    No, I didn't use firestarter before.

    >> When I click
    >> "save" on that wizard (or whenever i try to start the firewall) I get
    >> "Failed to start the firewall. The device eth0 is not ready." error.
    >> What do you mean "not ready", I'm using eth0 while writing this
    >> post...

    > The output of "ifconfig -a" may help tell what's wrong with eth0.

    nick@rilmir:~$ ifconfig -a
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0E:2E:028:C9
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:739760 (722.4 KiB) TX bytes:32226 (31.4 KiB)
    Interrupt:19 Base address:0x8000

    eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:40:F4:B3:67:31
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Interrupt:20

    eth0:avah Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0E:2E:028:C9
    inet addr:169.254.7.190 Bcast:169.254.255.255 Mask:255.255.0.0
    Interrupt:19 Base address:0x8000

    eth1:avah Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:40:F4:B3:67:31
    inet addr:169.254.6.211 Bcast:169.254.255.255 Mask:255.255.0.0
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    Interrupt:20

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:3060 (2.9 KiB) TX bytes:3060 (2.9 KiB)

    ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
    inet addr:78.0.79.74 P-t-P:172.29.252.37 Mask:255.255.255.255
    UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
    RX bytes:724456 (707.4 KiB) TX bytes:16550 (16.1 KiB)

    >> And, of course, the winXP machine can't reach the Internet.

    > Are the two boxes able to communicate with each other at IP layer at least ?

    Nope. I set default gateway on the XP machine to point to my Linux machine,
    but ping can't reach windows from linux and vice versa.

    --
    "Now the storm has passed over me
    I'm left to drift on a dead calm sea
    And watch her forever through the cracks in the beams
    Nailed across the doorways of the bedrooms of my dreams"

  4. Re: firestarter problem

    >Nope. I set default gateway on the XP machine to point to my Linux machine,
    >but ping can't reach windows from linux and vice versa.

    -Now you have 2 problems and not 1, The Firestarter 1 and why Linux
    can't reach Windows and vice versa.
    you should first look why Linux can't reach Windows and vice versa?
    Check the cables first for example may there is amatter. From Linux
    check the cables and connections with tools like mii-tool and
    ethtool eth1 and give us what you find there, And you can check the
    cables with atester for example?
    -I didn't use firestarter but once, And really I didn't see this error
    before but we can search. When you are sure that Linux can reach
    Windows and vice versa then you can use alternatives to firestarter
    for example to see what's there or the cause of the problem, Do you
    use natting for example? So configure it manually may it work tell you
    know the cause of the Firestarter problem or error? For example if
    your Linux wan interface is eth0 and you use nat flush the iptables
    rules and use this rule to configure Linux as agateway for your lan
    and enable ip_forward,
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    And you may see Firestarter log may it help you.

  5. Re: firestarter problem

    Nikola Skoric wrote:
    > Dana Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:54:37 +0200,
    > Pascal Hambourg kaze:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Nikola Skoric a écrit :
    >>>
    >>> I connect to Internet using KNetworkManager over eth0 to ADSL
    >>> modem. Everything works great, no problems there. But, today I
    >>> connected my sister's winXP through a crossover to my eth1,
    >>> started firestarter and did that incredibly trivial wizard.

    >> Do you mean that you didn't use firestarter before ?

    > Sorry for the delay, I had angina in the mean time :-)

    > No, I didn't use firestarter before.

    >>> When I click
    >>> "save" on that wizard (or whenever i try to start the firewall) I get
    >>> "Failed to start the firewall. The device eth0 is not ready." error.
    >>> What do you mean "not ready", I'm using eth0 while writing this
    >>> post...

    >> The output of "ifconfig -a" may help tell what's wrong with eth0.

    > nick@rilmir:~$ ifconfig -a
    > eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0E:2E:028:C9
    > UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    > RX bytes:739760 (722.4 KiB) TX bytes:32226 (31.4 KiB)
    > Interrupt:19 Base address:0x8000

    The eth0 interface doesn't have an IP address assigned, almost certainly
    because it's the Ethernet interface for your PPPoE connection. Moreover,
    firestarter apparently expects eth0 to be configured with your Internet
    IP, which is incorrect.

    > eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:40:F4:B3:67:31
    > UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    > RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    > Interrupt:20

    A private LAN IP address should be configured for eth1 and another in
    the same LAN for the M$ machine. However there is no RUNNING present so
    something may be amiss with the interface or interface driver. (I've had
    very little success in finding out exactly what RUNNING really means.)

    > eth0:avah Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0E:2E:028:C9
    > inet addr:169.254.7.190 Bcast:169.254.255.255 Mask:255.255.0.0
    > UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    > Interrupt:19 Base address:0x8000

    > eth1:avah Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:40:F4:B3:67:31
    > inet addr:169.254.6.211 Bcast:169.254.255.255 Mask:255.255.0.0
    > UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    > Interrupt:20

    I'd guess the "avah" configurations are related to an M$ idiosyncrasy and
    are pretty much useless. Well, unless eth0:avah somehow allows direct
    access to the modem. The eth1:avah also doesn't show RUNNING, which might
    explain the ping failures in the event that the M$ machine actually has
    an IP on it's side of the crossover cable in the 169.254.0.0/16 range.

    On reflection, it seems that both eth1 and eth1:avah also lack a "Base
    address", aka I/O port. The missing RUNNINGs could well be related to
    this lack. You may need to move the card's base address to something
    else to avoid conflict with some other hardware port, or specify the
    base address at runtime or at module insertion. A "dmesg|grep eth1:"
    should show whether or not there is a base address assigned.

    > lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    > inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    > inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    > UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    > RX bytes:3060 (2.9 KiB) TX bytes:3060 (2.9 KiB)

    > ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
    > inet addr:78.0.79.74 P-t-P:172.29.252.37 Mask:255.255.255.255
    > UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
    > RX bytes:724456 (707.4 KiB) TX bytes:16550 (16.1 KiB)

    Your Internet interface is ppp0, not eth0. If firestarter is unable
    use ppp0 then you might try modifying this firewall script:

    http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.n...c.firewall.txt

    It can be called from /etc/ppp/ip-up and configured using parameters
    that pppd passes to ip-up. It also provides SNAT which allows the M$
    machine Internet access. It's not incredibly trivial however.

    >>> And, of course, the winXP machine can't reach the Internet.

    >> Are the two boxes able to communicate with each other at IP layer at least?

    > Nope. I set default gateway on the XP machine to point to my Linux machine,
    > but ping can't reach windows from linux and vice versa.

    Forget firewalling until you get the pings to work.

    --
    Clifford Kite
    /* Bluffing in a poker game can win big; bluffing in a newsgroup

+ Reply to Thread