Hactar staggered into the Black Sun and said:
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //pc/tmp,
> missing codepage or other error
> In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail

What, if anything, is in /var/log/samba/ or /var/log/*smb* ?

> I assume that's caused by a mismatch between what the server uses and
> what my client has. But how do I find out what the server (a Linux
> box with Samba) uses? I grepped likely terms in smb.conf but came up
> dry. "dmesg | tail" only returns repeated lines saying "CIFS VFS:
> cifs_mount failed w/return code = -22". Not very helpful.

What was the exact mount command you used? It should be something like
so:

mount -t cifs //pc/tmp /mnt/somewhere -o user=USER,domain=DOMAIN

....error 22 is apparently either "invalid device state" or "unknown
command". Which version of Samba is the server running? Which version
of Samba is the laptop running? The only time I've seen errors like
this are when I've tried to mount SMB shares from a pretty recent smbd
while using a very old version of mount.smbfs.

--
"We should have a policy against using personal resources for company
business." "The Company didn't pay for these pants, so I'm taking