Kermit - How do I escape to a local kermit from a telnet session? - Networking

This is a discussion on Kermit - How do I escape to a local kermit from a telnet session? - Networking ; I want to transfer a file to a remote host using kermit via a telnet session. I telnet the remote host, change directory, and start kermit in listening mode: gkermit -r G-Kermit CU-1.00, Columbia University, 1999-12-25 Escape back to your ...

  1. Kermit - How do I escape to a local kermit from a telnet session?

    I want to transfer a file to a remote host using kermit via a telnet session.
    I telnet the remote host, change directory, and start kermit in listening mode:

    gkermit -r
    G-Kermit CU-1.00, Columbia University, 1999-12-25
    Escape back to your local Kermit and give a SEND command.

    KERMIT READY TO RECEIVE...

    How do I "escape back" to my local kermit, in order to issue the send command?

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  2. Re: Kermit - How do I escape to a local kermit from a telnet session?

    On Sep 9, 7:08 am, markhob...@hotpop.deletethisbit.com (Mark Hobley)
    wrote:
    > I want to transfer a file to a remote host using kermit via a telnet session.
    > I telnet the remote host, change directory, and start kermit in listening mode:
    >
    > gkermit -r
    > G-Kermit CU-1.00, Columbia University, 1999-12-25
    > Escape back to your local Kermit and give a SEND command.
    >
    > KERMIT READY TO RECEIVE...
    >
    > How do I "escape back" to my local kermit, in order to issue the send command?
    >
    > --
    > Mark Hobley
    > 393 Quinton Road West
    > QUINTON
    > Birmingham
    > B32 1QE
    >
    > Email: markhobley at hotpop dot donottypethisbit com
    >
    > http://markhobley.yi.org/

    CTRL ] ? Or is it still CTRL z. It's been 10 years since using kermit.
    There's def a help file for it though.

  3. Re: Kermit - How do I escape to a local kermit from a telnet session?

    Sentine| wrote:
    > On Sep 9, 7:08 am, markhob...@hotpop.deletethisbit.com (Mark Hobley)
    > wrote:
    >> I want to transfer a file to a remote host using kermit via a telnet session.
    >> I telnet the remote host, change directory, and start kermit in listening mode:
    >>
    >> gkermit -r
    >> G-Kermit CU-1.00, Columbia University, 1999-12-25
    >> Escape back to your local Kermit and give a SEND command.
    >>
    >> KERMIT READY TO RECEIVE...
    >>
    >> How do I "escape back" to my local kermit, in order to issue the send command?

    > CTRL ] ? Or is it still CTRL z. It's been 10 years since using kermit.
    > There's def a help file for it though.

    When you connect, kermit should tell you what the escape key is. It will probably be CTRL ].

    Larry

  4. Re: Kermit - How do I escape to a local kermit from a telnet session?

    Larry Finger wrote:

    > When you connect, kermit should tell you what the escape key is.

    It is really the telnet session that I need to escape, because I need to run
    kermit on the local host to tell it to transfer to the peer that I am
    telnetted into.

    Maybe I am doing something in the wrong order.

    From localhost, I telnet peer
    On peer, I change directory and kermit -r

    Now I need to run kermit on localhost to send, but my terminal telnetted to
    peer.

    If I exit telnet, I will lose connection and peer sessions will die.

    I need to somehow kick off kermit on localhost and tell it to send via the
    telnet session connected to the listening peer.

    Maybe I can reverse this somehow:

    kermit a transfer from localhost
    escape kermit
    telnet peer
    start kermit listening on peer

    How will localhost kermit now know that peer is ready to receive? will kermit
    listen to its daughter telnet session whilst escaped?

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  5. Re: Kermit - How do I escape to a local kermit from a telnet session?

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > Larry Finger wrote:
    >> When you connect, kermit should tell you what the escape key is.

    > It is really the telnet session that I need to escape, because I need to run
    > kermit on the local host to tell it to transfer to the peer that I am
    > telnetted into.
    >
    > Maybe I am doing something in the wrong order.
    >
    > From localhost, I telnet peer
    > On peer, I change directory and kermit -r
    >
    > Now I need to run kermit on localhost to send, but my terminal telnetted to
    > peer.
    >
    > If I exit telnet, I will lose connection and peer sessions will die.
    >
    > I need to somehow kick off kermit on localhost and tell it to send via the
    > telnet session connected to the listening peer.
    >
    > Maybe I can reverse this somehow:
    >
    > kermit a transfer from localhost
    > escape kermit
    > telnet peer
    > start kermit listening on peer
    >
    > How will localhost kermit now know that peer is ready to receive? will kermit
    > listen to its daughter telnet session whilst escaped?

    You need to establish the telnet session with kermit. Start kermit on your machine. Issue a 'telnet
    ' command (in kermit). Log onto remote machine and start remote kermit. Put it in receive
    mode, escape back to your machine and start the transfer.

    Larry

  6. Re: Kermit - How do I escape to a local kermit from a telnet session?

    Larry Finger wrote:

    > You need to establish the telnet session with kermit. Start kermit on your
    > machine. Issue a 'telnet ' command (in kermit). Log onto remote machine

    I am stuck on this bit. How do I issue the telnet command from within gkermit?

    env
    TERM=rxvt
    gkermit -s readme.txt
    G-Kermit CU-1.00, Columbia University, 1999-12-25
    Escape back to your local Kermit and give a RECEIVE command.

    KERMIT READY TO SEND...
    9 S~' @-#Y3~*!J*0+++J"U1@O

    What keys do I press here?

    I have also tried TERM=linux and TERM=vt220

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  7. Re: Kermit - How do I escape to a local kermit from a telnet session?

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > Larry Finger wrote:
    >> You need to establish the telnet session with kermit. Start kermit on your
    >> machine. Issue a 'telnet ' command (in kermit). Log onto remote machine

    > I am stuck on this bit. How do I issue the telnet command from within gkermit?
    >
    > env
    > TERM=rxvt
    > gkermit -s readme.txt
    > G-Kermit CU-1.00, Columbia University, 1999-12-25
    > Escape back to your local Kermit and give a RECEIVE command.
    >
    > KERMIT READY TO SEND...
    > 9 S~' @-#Y3~*!J*0+++J"U1@O
    >
    > What keys do I press here?
    >
    > I have also tried TERM=linux and TERM=vt220
    >
    > Mark.

    I don't know what gkermit is. I have C-Kermit V8.0.211. To connect via telnet, I would launch kermit
    on my system, then give the command 'telnet ', which will start a telnet session to the
    remote computer. When it connects, it will tell you the escape character. Once you have logged on to
    the remote machine, start kermit there and put it in server mode. Then escape back to the home
    system with the escape code followed by c. You can then 'send' or 'receive' files through the server
    on the remote system.

    Larry

  8. Re: Kermit - How do I escape to a local kermit from a telnet session?

    Larry Finger wrote:

    > I don't know what gkermit is.

    The gkermit version is under the GPL software licence, which allows public
    modifications to the source code.

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/gkermit.html

    I have C-Kermit V8.0.211. To connect via telnet, I would launch kermit
    > on my system, then give the command 'telnet '

    Mine goes straight into file transfer mode before I have telnetted the host.
    There is no prompt to allow me to type the telnet command. I think I might
    have to press some key combination, but I don't know what to press.

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  9. Re: Kermit - How do I escape to a local kermit from a telnet session?

    Mark Hobley wrote:

    > Mine goes straight into file transfer mode before I have telnetted the host.
    > There is no prompt to allow me to type the telnet command. I think I might
    > have to press some key combination, but I don't know what to press.

    It appears from a quick read of the gkermit website that it is stripped down. Get c-kermit for the
    local machine and you should be able to do what you want. For the remote site, gkermit should be OK.
    You only need a server there anyway.

    Larry

  10. Re: Kermit - How do I escape to a local kermit from a telnet session?

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > Larry Finger wrote:
    >
    >> I don't know what gkermit is.

    > The gkermit version is under the GPL software licence, which allows public
    > modifications to the source code.
    >
    > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/gkermit.html
    >
    > I have C-Kermit V8.0.211. To connect via telnet, I would launch kermit
    >> on my system, then give the command 'telnet '

    > Mine goes straight into file transfer mode before I have telnetted the host.
    > There is no prompt to allow me to type the telnet command. I think I might
    > have to press some key combination, but I don't know what to press.

    If gkermit is like ckermit the default escape character is Ctrl-\ so to get back
    to a prompt you'd hit
    Ctrl-\ c

+ Reply to Thread