hi, ftp port forwarding fails.. pls help me.... - Networking

This is a discussion on hi, ftp port forwarding fails.. pls help me.... - Networking ; hi i am using linux as a gateway to connect inside local machines to internet. linux eth0 :XX.XX.XX.XX linux eth1 : 192.168.1.1 inside local FTP Server(Win2k3 IIS) : 192.168.1.200 now i want to forward incoming ftp request on eth0, to ...

  1. hi, ftp port forwarding fails.. pls help me....

    hi i am using linux as a gateway to connect inside local machines to
    internet.

    linux eth0 :XX.XX.XX.XX
    linux eth1 : 192.168.1.1

    inside local FTP Server(Win2k3 IIS) : 192.168.1.200

    now i want to forward incoming ftp request on eth0, to acces
    192.168.1.200 FTP server.

    some days before it works well.
    but now, my remote office cant able to connect FTP server through
    Windows explorer (ftp://XX.XX.XX.XX).
    while giving the addrees in above line, the explorer asks for
    password, and then it displays as, "Operation timed out."

    only command mode ftp.exe works well (start-run-cmd-ok, ftp open
    XX.XX.XX.XX)

    but from my local network, any system can connect the FTP server
    easily (as, ftp://192.168.1.200).
    also, wheni assign the XX.XX.XX.XX ip directly to FTP server, we can
    access it from remote office..

    the problem comes only when we connects it through linux firewall.

    i used the following lines in the iptables command:,
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ******************
    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp - -dport 21 -j DNAT - -
    to 192.168.1.200:21
    iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -d 192.168.1.200 - -dport 21 -j ACCEPT
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ******************

    but other http port forwarding works well....

    pls tell me the solution for these problem......

    Thanks and Regards,
    Nandhakumar K.

  2. Re: hi, ftp port forwarding fails.. pls help me....

    worldwidenandhu@gmail.com wrote:
    > some days before it works well.
    > but now, my remote office cant able to connect FTP server through
    > Windows explorer (ftp://XX.XX.XX.XX).
    > while giving the addrees in above line, the explorer asks for
    > password, and then it displays as, "Operation timed out."

    If the command line ftp works fine. This sounds like an issue with Windows
    explorer, due to a problem with the integration of Internet Explorer into
    Windows Explorer. Have a look at the logs for your ftp server. The windows
    based ftp may be submitting authentication information with the url typed.

    I can't remember the exact format of this, but it produces something like:

    IE4USER:PASS@ftp://XX.XX.XX.XX

    (You cannot see the IE4USER:PASS@ in the URL window, just ftp://XX.XX.XX.XX)

    The IE4USER and password information is automatically being entered as login
    information on the remote server, probably prefixing any additional login
    names and passwords that you are also providing.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  3. Re: hi, ftp port forwarding fails.. pls help me....

    On Sep 7, 7:02 am, worldwidenan...@gmail.com wrote:
    > iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp - -dport 21 -j DNAT - -to 192.168.1.200:21

    I think this must be:

    iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 21 -j DNAT --to-
    destination 192.168.1.200:21

    try this...

    Beforehand, if you still having troubles, activate these modules:

    kernel 2.4 till 2.6.21
    ip_conntrack_ftp
    ip_nat_ftp

    kernel >= 2.6.22