meaning behind the iwlist output - Networking

This is a discussion on meaning behind the iwlist output - Networking ; When I run "iwlist wlan0 scan" I get a display of information for all the WAPs my wireless card can see. All the displayed information I can understand except for the last two items, Extra:bcn_int and Extra:atim. What do these ...

  1. meaning behind the iwlist output

    When I run "iwlist wlan0 scan" I get a display of information for all
    the WAPs my wireless card can see. All the displayed information I can
    understand except for the last two items, Extra:bcn_int and
    Extra:atim. What do these two parameters mean and or indicate?

    Cell 01 - Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    ESSID:"xxxxxxx"
    Protocol:IEEE 802.11g
    Mode:Managed
    Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
    Quality:57/100 Signal level:-59 dBm Noise
    level:-96 dBm
    Encryption keyn
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/
    9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/
    48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
    Extra:bcn_int=100
    Extra:atim=3

    Call 02 ...

  2. Re: meaning behind the iwlist output

    It's the beacon interval. At each bcn_int interval (miliseconds) the
    access point sends keep alive beacon.
    atim is not common. I got 3 different wireless adapter and none of
    these show this parameter.

+ Reply to Thread