How to tell if my card is gigabit or not - Networking

This is a discussion on How to tell if my card is gigabit or not - Networking ; Rick Jones writes: >In comp.os.linux.networking Unruh wrote: >> Becareful. Many routers or switches fall back to the speed of the >> slowest connection. Thus one slow computer could bring down the >> whole switch. >Can you give some specifics? Admittedly ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: How to tell if my card is gigabit or not

    Rick Jones writes:

    >In comp.os.linux.networking Unruh wrote:
    >> Becareful. Many routers or switches fall back to the speed of the
    >> slowest connection. Thus one slow computer could bring down the
    >> whole switch.

    >Can you give some specifics? Admittedly my experience base with "home
    >routers" and their switch components is very limited, but based on my
    >experience with other "switches" is such that each port's speed is
    >independent of the other. Now, for a _hub_ it might be the case that
    >it can only operate at one speed, but a _switch_ should have speed on
    >a port by port basis.

    I just recall this happening to me. I do not remember any longer if what I
    had was a hub or a switch, sorry. I just brought it up since if it happens
    to the OP it is obviously a disaster.
    note that there is obviously a rate disaster since you cannot put a Gb
    input into a 100Mb line. Ie, the Gb line MUST be throttled if it is going
    into a slower line. An easy way to handle this would be to just throttle
    everything. But it may well me that modern switches are more sophisticated
    than that.

    >Or were you thinking of the wireless portion rather than the wired?
    >The wireless network can be thought of (in broad handwaving terms) as
    >a hub.

    >rick jones

    >a hub is a multi-port repeater operating at the physical layer
    >a switch is a multi-port bridge operating at the data-link layer

    >--
    >No need to believe in either side, or any side. There is no cause.
    >There's only yourself. The belief is in your own precision. - Jobert
    >these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway...
    >feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

  2. Re: How to tell if my card is gigabit or not

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 23:26:22 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    > Rick Jones writes:
    >
    >>In comp.os.linux.networking Unruh wrote:
    >>> Becareful. Many routers or switches fall back to the speed of the
    >>> slowest connection. Thus one slow computer could bring down the
    >>> whole switch.

    >>Can you give some specifics? Admittedly my experience base with "home
    >>routers" and their switch components is very limited, but based on my
    >>experience with other "switches" is such that each port's speed is
    >>independent of the other. Now, for a _hub_ it might be the case that
    >>it can only operate at one speed, but a _switch_ should have speed on
    >>a port by port basis.

    > I just recall this happening to me. I do not remember any longer if what I

    b> had was a hub or a switch, sorry. I just brought it up since if it happens
    > to the OP it is obviously a disaster.
    > note that there is obviously a rate disaster since you cannot put a Gb
    > input into a 100Mb line. Ie, the Gb line MUST be throttled if it is going
    > into a slower line. An easy way to handle this would be to just throttle
    > everything. But it may well me that modern switches are more sophisticated
    > than that.

    Such throttling is done by the TCP layer in the kernel. Think about
    it, a computer with a gigabit card may be transmitting through a
    gigabit switch to two computers, one gigabit and another 100 mbit. The
    first connection will be faster than the second.

  3. Re: How to tell if my card is gigabit or not

    In comp.os.linux.networking Ignoramus7495 wrote:
    > I had several multiple bad experiences with HP, where their products
    > are ripoffs and require buying more and more HP products etc. Does
    > not reflect on their engineers, of course.

    Still, I guess I walked right into that one.

    rick jones

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2