Need a tutorial for X-Windows - Networking

This is a discussion on Need a tutorial for X-Windows - Networking ; I want to make a Windows XP useful, so i guess the best way is to get a X-Window-Client which runs under WXP ;-) 1. Can anybody recommend a specific Client? 2. Do I have to change something at my ...

  1. Need a tutorial for X-Windows

    I want to make a Windows XP useful, so i guess the best way is to get a
    X-Window-Client which runs under WXP ;-)

    1. Can anybody recommend a specific Client?
    2. Do I have to change something at my Linux Machine
    (X-Window-Configuration, etc. ), and if yes where can i find a tutorial to
    do so?

    thx @ all

  2. Re: Need a tutorial for X-Windows

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 16:32:47 +0200, WackoMacko wrote:

    > I want to make a Windows XP useful, so i guess the best way is to get a
    > X-Window-Client which runs under WXP ;-)
    >
    > 1. Can anybody recommend a specific Client?

    Check out Xming - it's free software and does not need as much storage
    space as Cygwin/X.

    > 2. Do I have to change
    > something at my Linux Machine (X-Window-Configuration, etc. ), and if
    > yes where can i find a tutorial to do so?

    I assume you want to use applications from this Linux box on WinXP
    desktop. Just set up an SSH server and make sure X11 forwarding is
    allowed ('man sshd_config' or such should help).

    Regards,
    --
    Krzysztof Lubanski

  3. Re: Need a tutorial for X-Windows

    Thanks a lot Krzysztof!!!
    ( Dziekuje za wszystko - hehe googled for that ;-) )

    I think that should help ... I'll try it this evening!

    "Krzysztof Lubanski" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > Check out Xming - it's free software and does not need as much storage
    > space as Cygwin/X.
    >
    > I assume you want to use applications from this Linux box on WinXP
    > desktop. Just set up an SSH server and make sure X11 forwarding is
    > allowed ('man sshd_config' or such should help).
    >
    > Regards,
    > --
    > Krzysztof Lubanski

  4. Re: Need a tutorial for X-Windows

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 17:59:37 +0200, WackoMacko wrote:

    > Thanks a lot Krzysztof!!!
    > ( Dziekuje za wszystko - hehe googled for that ;-) )
    >
    > I think that should help ... I'll try it this evening!

    Haha. Gern geschehen.

    --
    Krzysztof Lubanski

  5. Re: Need a tutorial for X-Windows

    I tried it out and it works, but I can't figure out if I can get KDE or
    GNOME into the XMing Window...

    Is it possible?

  6. Re: Need a tutorial for X-Windows

    lol
    Did you google, too?
    Or do you live in Germany?
    However i respond in English so that other users can follow ...

    PS: I'm not German :-p but born there (parents are from Croatia)

    > Haha. Gern geschehen.
    > Krzysztof Lubanski

  7. Re: [OT] Need a tutorial for X-Windows

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 20:11:55 +0200, WackoMacko wrote:

    > lol
    > Did you google, too?

    A bit. I used to learn German in school with little effect (most teachers
    and pupils didn't really care, sadly), so I wanted to find something
    other than typical "Bitte".

    > Or do you live in Germany?
    > However i respond in English so that other users can follow ...

    No - born and living in Poland. Got to visit Germany, though, there are a
    few places I'd like to see.

    > PS: I'm not German :-p but born there (parents are from Croatia)

    Nah, Europe is so small.

    --
    Krzysztof Lubanski

  8. Re: Need a tutorial for X-Windows

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 20:05:29 +0200, WackoMacko wrote:

    > I tried it out and it works, but I can't figure out if I can get KDE or
    > GNOME into the XMing Window...
    >
    > Is it possible?

    I don't know how it will work out, but you can try running 'gnome-
    session' or its KDE equivalent (maybe 'kdesktop' does that - I don't use
    KDE).

    --
    Krzysztof Lubanski

  9. Re: Need a tutorial for X-Windows

    Thanks again for the info!
    I tried 'startkde' once, but it started on the linux box...
    I will trie your suggestions, as soon as possible ...
    Can't do it now :-( ...

    > On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 20:05:29 +0200, WackoMacko wrote:
    >
    >> I tried it out and it works, but I can't figure out if I can get KDE or
    >> GNOME into the XMing Window...
    >>
    >> Is it possible?

    > I don't know how it will work out, but you can try running 'gnome-
    > session' or its KDE equivalent (maybe 'kdesktop' does that - I don't use
    > KDE).
    >
    > --
    > Krzysztof Lubanski

+ Reply to Thread