Cups upgrade remote printing breaks - Networking

This is a discussion on Cups upgrade remote printing breaks - Networking ; On my recent cups upgrade to 1.2.10 my main server ceased to function as a network printer. Files would print locally but files printer remotely would stay in queue there. I see no errors in the cups logs etc. I ...

  1. Cups upgrade remote printing breaks

    On my recent cups upgrade to 1.2.10 my main server ceased to function as
    a network printer. Files would print locally but files printer remotely
    would stay in queue there. I see no errors in the cups logs etc.

    I need to elaborate or perhaps it is a given that it was setup as browse ie
    broadcasting to my other machines. That appears to work as the printer
    shows up remotely and is selectable and usable.

    I did notice that the overall layout of the cupsd.conf file did appear
    to change. I just mimicked what I had in the previous conf in terms of
    turning on browsing etc. I cannot figure out why these printed files do
    not go to the server.

    Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    -Walt

  2. Re: Cups upgrade remote printing breaks

    PenguinsAnonymous@notAchance.org wrote:
    > On my recent cups upgrade to 1.2.10 my main server ceased to function as
    > a network printer. Files would print locally but files printer remotely
    > would stay in queue there. I see no errors in the cups logs etc.
    >
    > I need to elaborate or perhaps it is a given that it was setup as browse ie
    > broadcasting to my other machines. That appears to work as the printer
    > shows up remotely and is selectable and usable.
    >
    > I did notice that the overall layout of the cupsd.conf file did appear
    > to change. I just mimicked what I had in the previous conf in terms of
    > turning on browsing etc. I cannot figure out why these printed files do
    > not go to the server.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    > Thanks.
    > -Walt

    First step is to turn on debugging (LogLevel debug in your cupsd.conf
    file). Then study the log, google for the messages and post the relevant
    bits of the log to the newsgroup if you have no joy.

    Robert

  3. Re: Cups upgrade remote printing breaks

    Robert Harris wrote:
    > First step is to turn on debugging (LogLevel debug in your cupsd.conf
    > file). Then study the log, google for the messages and post the relevant
    > bits of the log to the newsgroup if you have no joy.
    >
    > Robert

    Ahhh but the logs were empty because no one was listening basically
    everything was working with the broadcast etc. Apparently I mucked up
    the listen.... only needed a 'Listen *:631' but I confirmed the setup
    using gentoo docs which are always excellent. I think google 'gentoo how
    cups'. There are only a few changes but if you don't get right
    And sometimes when upgrading gentoo you encounter too much change in an
    app.
    At any rate thanks. Lets hope Apple doesn't ruin cups.
    -Walt

+ Reply to Thread