FC7 wireless networking .. WPA-compatible NIC suggestions????? - Networking

This is a discussion on FC7 wireless networking .. WPA-compatible NIC suggestions????? - Networking ; I have FC7 running on a Dell Inspiron 1200. (this is not my problem, per se) I don't have the builtin Wireless card, but am trying to "make do" with an PCMCIA card. I have an 802.11b card and FC7 ...

  1. FC7 wireless networking .. WPA-compatible NIC suggestions?????

    I have FC7 running on a Dell Inspiron 1200. (this is not my problem, per se)

    I don't have the builtin Wireless card, but am trying to "make do" with an
    PCMCIA card.

    I have an 802.11b card and FC7 talks thru it using WEP w/no problems. But, I
    really want to get FC7 talking WPA like the rest
    of my home machines.

    For anyone who has accomplished this, would you tell me what NIC you're using,
    and what else you needed to make it work?

    --
    H.s.Modell, Computing Maven-Troublemaker/4
    ---------

  2. Re: FC7 wireless networking .. WPA-compatible NIC suggestions?????

    Howard Modell wrote:
    > I have FC7 running on a Dell Inspiron 1200. (this is not my problem,
    > per se)
    >
    > I don't have the builtin Wireless card, but am trying to "make do" with
    > an PCMCIA card.
    >
    > I have an 802.11b card and FC7 talks thru it using WEP w/no problems.
    > But, I really want to get FC7 talking WPA like the rest
    > of my home machines.
    >
    > For anyone who has accomplished this, would you tell me what NIC you're
    > using, and what else you needed to make it work?

    If uou install wpa_supplicant, your present card should work, as long as you are not using
    ndiswrapper. Most NIC's do not do WPA encryption in hardware, which is where the supplicant comes
    in. On FC7, the supplicant and NetworkManager should work just fine. I am not an FC7 user, so I have
    not actually done this, but I know lots of people that do it.

    There is no "making do" with a PCMCIA card. All of them that I know are Cardbus devices that are
    interfaced through the PCMCIA adapter rather than a PCI adapter; however, it is really easy to be
    faster that an 802.11 network as long as DMA is used.

    What is your mysterious card? I use various BCM43xx devices. All of them work, although the standard
    FC7 kernel has some problems, but those are fixed by getting the latest Rawhide kernel du jour. A
    Linksys WPC54G V3, which is a BCM4318, is a good option. You can get one of these on E-Bay, but stay
    away from V1 and V4.

    Larry

    Larry

  3. Re: FC7 wireless networking .. WPA-compatible NIC suggestions?????

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 20:17:25 +0000, Howard Modell wrote:

    > I have FC7 running on a Dell Inspiron 1200. (this is not my problem, per se)
    >
    > I don't have the builtin Wireless card, but am trying to "make do" with an
    > PCMCIA card.
    >
    > I have an 802.11b card and FC7 talks thru it using WEP w/no problems. But, I
    > really want to get FC7 talking WPA like the rest
    > of my home machines.
    >
    > For anyone who has accomplished this, would you tell me what NIC you're using,
    > and what else you needed to make it work?

    Just for the record, there is no FC7 - it is F7 - the 'core' having been
    removed.

+ Reply to Thread