FC4 Base installed -- no dhcp - Networking

This is a discussion on FC4 Base installed -- no dhcp - Networking ; The base packages of FC4 have been installed and I need an internet connection to download the core packages. On another partition I'm running Debian Unstable and it connects with dhcp. After installing the base packages with rinse ( Debian ...

  1. FC4 Base installed -- no dhcp

    The base packages of FC4 have been installed and I need an internet
    connection to download the core packages. On another partition I'm
    running Debian Unstable and it connects with dhcp. After installing
    the base packages with rinse ( Debian package ), I edited the Debian /
    etc/fstab and /etc/hosts and copied them, edited the files in /etc/
    yum.repos.d to reflect the newest addresses of mirrors and baseurls
    ( and disabled all repos except for core ones ), and created /etc/
    sysconfig/network with:

    NETWORKING=yes
    HOSTNAME=
    FORWARD_IP4=yes
    GATEWAYDEV=
    GATEWAY=

    which is the only setup for dhcp which I've seen recommended on the
    Web. I also had to create the console, zero and null devices in /dev
    with a chroot and /sbin/MAKEDEV in order to run a custom kernel that
    doesn't use initrd. At boot it configures and activates eth0 ( and
    lo ) but then 'yum list available' reports "Cannot find a valid
    baseurl for repo: core" each time it is run, ping returns an "unknown
    host" message everytime, and 'ifconfig -a' doesn't show an inet
    address for dhcp ( meaning it hasn't got one from the net ). There
    doesn't seem to be a way to determine if the connection is up except
    thru indirect means. If I do a 'ifdown eth0' followed by 'ifconfig
    eth0 inet dhcp' it responds with "Dhcp: Host name look up failure." I
    don't have a FQDN in /etc/hosts, but my Debian setup doesn't require
    one. Does FC4 require one?

  2. Re: FC4 Base installed -- no dhcp

    On Aug 13, 12:13 pm, Davide Bianchi
    wrote:
    > On 2007-08-13, ernobe wrote:
    >
    > > The base packages of FC4 have been installed and I need an internet
    > > connection to download the core packages.

    > > which is the only setup for dhcp which I've seen recommended on the
    > > Web.

    > Yes, if you configure your network card for dhcp in
    > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (or 1)

    Yes I did. The contents is:

    DEVICE=eth0
    USERCTL=no
    ONBOOT=yes
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    BROADCAST=
    NETWORK=
    NETMASK=
    IPADDR=

    > > doesn't use initrd. At boot it configures and activates eth0 ( and
    > > lo ) but then 'yum list available' reports "Cannot find a valid
    > > baseurl for repo: core"

    > Do you get a DNS ?

    Do I get a "Domain Name Service"? I don't have a Fully Qualified
    Domain Name ( FQDN ), I'm just trying to connect to my ISP ( Internet
    Service Provider ).

    > What's in /etc/resolv.conf after the network card
    > is activated?

    I just looked at the file ( on the mounted partition ) and it hasn't
    been modified since it was created, which was when FC4 was installed.
    It has 'search' followed by my ISP FQDN, and two other lines which
    begin with 'nameserver' followed by my ISP addresses.

+ Reply to Thread