Can't configure gateway and dns server in redhat 6.2 - Networking

This is a discussion on Can't configure gateway and dns server in redhat 6.2 - Networking ; In redhat 6.2 (yes, I have to use that version in this specific machine... at least for now) where does it write down the network info when you have set it up for static IP? I used linuxconf to setup ...

  1. Can't configure gateway and dns server in redhat 6.2

    In redhat 6.2 (yes, I have to use that version in this specific
    machine... at least for now) where does it write down the network info
    when you have set it up for static IP? I used linuxconf to setup ip,
    netmask, gateway, and dns. But, it seems only to only change the ip and
    netmask; default gateway and dns are not defined. I only know of
    /etc/sysconfig/network; any other place this stuff could be configured?
    --
    Mauricio raub-kudria-com
    (if you need to email me, use this address =)

  2. Re: Can't configure gateway and dns server in redhat 6.2

    Mauricio Tavares wrote:
    > In redhat 6.2 (yes, I have to use that version in this specific
    > machine... at least for now) where does it write down the network info
    > when you have set it up for static IP? I used linuxconf to setup ip,
    > netmask, gateway, and dns. But, it seems only to only change the ip and
    > netmask; default gateway and dns are not defined. I only know of
    > /etc/sysconfig/network; any other place this stuff could be configured?

    I believe they are still in the file "ifcfg-eth0" - do a find for it
    from /etc/sysconfig

    Robert

  3. Re: Can't configure gateway and dns server in redhat 6.2

    On Aug 13, 6:38 am, Robert Harris
    wrote:
    > Mauricio Tavares wrote:
    > > In redhat 6.2 (yes, I have to use that version in this specific
    > > machine... at least for now) where does it write down the network info
    > > when you have set it up for static IP? I used linuxconf to setup ip,
    > > netmask, gateway, and dns. But, it seems only to only change the ip and
    > > netmask; default gateway and dns are not defined. I only know of
    > > /etc/sysconfig/network; any other place this stuff could be configured?

    > I believe they are still in the file "ifcfg-eth0" - do a find for it
    > from /etc/sysconfig
    >
    > Robert

    Thanks for the info! I found the bastard hiding as /etc/sysconfig/
    network/ifcfg-eth0. I added NETWORK and GATEWAY entries, just for it
    not to work. "ifconfig eth0" shows me the card, but if I use dmesg,
    I find an error message I have never seen before:

    raub> dmesg | grep eth0
    eth0: 3Com 3c905C Tornado @ 0xec80, ***INVALID CHECKSUM 00ae***
    MAC_Address, IRQ11

    Smells like driver issues. What do you think?

  4. Re: Can't configure gateway and dns server in redhat 6.2

    I forgot to add: the card has no problems when I boot the machine
    with, say, knoppix.

  5. Re: Can't configure gateway and dns server in redhat 6.2

    Mauricio wrote:
    > On Aug 13, 6:38 am, Robert Harris
    > wrote:
    >> Mauricio Tavares wrote:
    >>> In redhat 6.2 (yes, I have to use that version in this specific
    >>> machine... at least for now) where does it write down the network info
    >>> when you have set it up for static IP? I used linuxconf to setup ip,
    >>> netmask, gateway, and dns. But, it seems only to only change the ip and
    >>> netmask; default gateway and dns are not defined. I only know of
    >>> /etc/sysconfig/network; any other place this stuff could be configured?

    >> I believe they are still in the file "ifcfg-eth0" - do a find for it
    >> from /etc/sysconfig
    >>
    >> Robert

    > Thanks for the info! I found the bastard hiding as /etc/sysconfig/
    > network/ifcfg-eth0. I added NETWORK and GATEWAY entries, just for it
    > not to work. "ifconfig eth0" shows me the card, but if I use dmesg,
    > I find an error message I have never seen before:
    >
    > raub> dmesg | grep eth0
    > eth0: 3Com 3c905C Tornado @ 0xec80, ***INVALID CHECKSUM 00ae***
    > MAC_Address, IRQ11
    >
    > Smells like driver issues. What do you think?

    Yes. But I think it should still work - google for the message.
    Otherwise move to a system that is less than seven years old!

    PS I forgot to say that DNS info is in /etc/resolv.conf in a line like:

    nameserver 192.168.0.1

    with the correct IP address.

  6. Re: Can't configure gateway and dns server in redhat 6.2

    On Aug 13, 9:51 am, Robert Harris
    wrote:
    > Mauricio wrote:
    > > On Aug 13, 6:38 am, Robert Harris
    > > wrote:
    > >> I believe they are still in the file "ifcfg-eth0" - do a find for it
    > >> from /etc/sysconfig

    > >> Robert

    > > Thanks for the info! I found the bastard hiding as /etc/sysconfig/
    > > network/ifcfg-eth0. I added NETWORK and GATEWAY entries, just for it
    > > not to work. "ifconfig eth0" shows me the card, but if I use dmesg,
    > > I find an error message I have never seen before:

    > > raub> dmesg | grep eth0
    > > eth0: 3Com 3c905C Tornado @ 0xec80, ***INVALID CHECKSUM 00ae***
    > > MAC_Address, IRQ11

    > > Smells like driver issues. What do you think?

    > Yes. But I think it should still work - google for the message.
    > Otherwise move to a system that is less than seven years old!
    >
    > PS I forgot to say that DNS info is in /etc/resolv.conf in a line like:
    >
    > nameserver 192.168.0.1
    >
    > with the correct IP address.

    And I forgot to say the resolv.conf file was ok. Now, it turned out
    that the driver for that card did not like the card, so I compiled and
    installed a newer driver and now it is happy. All is left is to get
    ssh to work (as in connecting to said machine) and I will be good for
    now.

    Thanks for all the help! =)

+ Reply to Thread