Are Facebook "Networks" Domains? - Networking

This is a discussion on Are Facebook "Networks" Domains? - Networking ; Hi. I am wondering if somebody wouldn't mind explaining to me how the Facebook "networks" work from a networking perspective? Iff I join a network, say, MIT on facebook it appears as: http:// mit . facebook . com . And ...

  1. Are Facebook "Networks" Domains?

    Hi.

    I am wondering if somebody wouldn't mind explaining to me how
    the Facebook "networks" work from a networking perspective?
    Iff I join a network, say, MIT on facebook it appears as:
    http:// mit . facebook . com . And caltech would be
    http:// caltech . facebook . com and so on. Does facebook have a
    dedicated server for each new "network" on its site. Are networks
    child domains? I'd appreciate it if somebody could explain the
    concepts here (I am actually building in Win Server 2003 but I know
    facebook is linux and am just trying to get my mind wrapped around the
    concepts here).

    Thanks in advance.
    Peter

  2. Re: Are Facebook "Networks" Domains?

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 03:08:07 +0000, pbd22 rearranged some electrons to
    form:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I am wondering if somebody wouldn't mind explaining to me how
    > the Facebook "networks" work from a networking perspective?
    > Iff I join a network, say, MIT on facebook it appears as:
    > http:// mit . facebook . com . And caltech would be
    > http:// caltech . facebook . com and so on. Does facebook have a
    > dedicated server for each new "network" on its site. Are networks
    > child domains? I'd appreciate it if somebody could explain the
    > concepts here (I am actually building in Win Server 2003 but I know
    > facebook is linux and am just trying to get my mind wrapped around the
    > concepts here).
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Peter

    Try reading:

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/

    for starters.

    --
    David M (dmacchiarolo)

  3. Re: Are Facebook "Networks" Domains?

    On Aug 9, 11:08 pm, pbd22 wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I am wondering if somebody wouldn't mind explaining to me how
    > the Facebook "networks" work from a networking perspective?
    > Iff I join a network, say, MIT on facebook it appears as:
    > http:// mit . facebook . com . And caltech would be
    > http:// caltech . facebook . com and so on. Does facebook have a
    > dedicated server for each new "network" on its site. Are networks
    > child domains? I'd appreciate it if somebody could explain the
    > concepts here (I am actually building in Win Server 2003 but I know
    > facebook is linux and am just trying to get my mind wrapped around the
    > concepts here).
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Peter

    They are technically subdomains. The way Facebook uses the term
    'network' is different than the TCP/IP way.
    It's *kind of* like the difference between mail.google.com and
    labs.google.com. Same site, different sections. That's a layman's way
    of understanding it.

+ Reply to Thread