Iptables and slow Internet connection - Networking

This is a discussion on Iptables and slow Internet connection - Networking ; Recently I have been experiencing a slow connection to the Internet. I have an ADSL connection 1500/256 with iptables running, which, I suspect is causing the slowdown. Typically I get ping times of about 2000 ms, and something like 20% ...

  1. Iptables and slow Internet connection

    Recently I have been experiencing a slow connection to the Internet. I
    have an ADSL connection 1500/256 with iptables running, which, I suspect
    is causing the slowdown.

    Typically I get ping times of about 2000 ms, and something like 20%
    packet loss, though both are highly variable. If I turn off iptables,
    then I get speeds like 200-250 ms, and much lower packet loss.

    I suspect, but am certainly not sure, that this started to happen when I
    used Webmin to turn on bandwith monitoring, which I have since turned
    off. There seem to be a few residual changes in my configurations.

    Is there anything I can look at?

    Thanks,

    Mark

  2. Re: Iptables and slow Internet connection

    On 08/06/2007 03:54 PM, Mark wrote:
    > Recently I have been experiencing a slow connection to the Internet. I
    > have an ADSL connection 1500/256 with iptables running, which, I suspect
    > is causing the slowdown.
    >
    > Typically I get ping times of about 2000 ms, and something like 20%
    > packet loss, though both are highly variable. If I turn off iptables,
    > then I get speeds like 200-250 ms, and much lower packet loss.
    >
    > I suspect, but am certainly not sure, that this started to happen when I
    > used Webmin to turn on bandwith monitoring, which I have since turned
    > off. There seem to be a few residual changes in my configurations.
    >
    > Is there anything I can look at?

    Yep, you need to try recalling and, or reversing every thing you did in
    a haste.

    The rule of thumb is -- do one change at time and do it carefully.

    And that webmin-sebmin and, or other GUI tools never tell you what they
    are doing in the background; that's why most sysadmin people love CLI
    and, or hand-editing all the config files. I have a bunch of helpful
    notes and, or comments here in our config files; which will be there to
    assist me in the years to come.

    Anu'z Linux@HOME Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP