Home network architecture - Networking

This is a discussion on Home network architecture - Networking ; Hi, I'm just beginning to think about the configuration options for a new wireless network at home. I have ~ 6 machines running win32/Linux/Mac and security is important so probably looking at a SoHo-type of setup. Types of things I'm ...

  1. Home network architecture

    Hi,

    I'm just beginning to think about the configuration options for a new
    wireless network at home. I have ~ 6 machines running win32/Linux/Mac
    and security is important so probably looking at a SoHo-type of
    setup. Types of things I'm looking for:
    - Media server. Will be controlled via smartphone client software.
    - I'm thinking about taking back control of my email as the amount
    personal information accumulating at a public provider is not helping
    me sleep. Any recommendations? Any experiences of doing so with
    Virtual Private Servers as explained here http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8337?
    - Will secure with OpenVPN. Possibly put VPN server behind two NAT
    routers in serial, is this needed or any better alternatives?

    Any thoughts and/or links to books, articles, groups or blogs that
    might help would be much appreciated.

    [Cross-posting from uk.comp.home-networking as not getting much
    feedback there and I reckon this list would have alot of experience
    with this.]

    Tia
    Chad

  2. Re: Home network architecture

    On 2007-08-06, chad.city@googlemail.com wrote:

    > I'm just beginning to think about the configuration options for a new
    > wireless network at home. I have ~ 6 machines running win32/Linux/Mac
    > and security is important so probably looking at a SoHo-type of
    > setup. Types of things I'm looking for:

    You don't seem to get many responses. Just giving my .02 worth...

    > - Media server. Will be controlled via smartphone client software.

    No opinion on that. Don't know what you mean by it.

    > - I'm thinking about taking back control of my email as the amount
    > personal information accumulating at a public provider is not helping
    > me sleep. Any recommendations? Any experiences of doing so with
    > Virtual Private Servers as explained here http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8337?

    What is wrong with POPing the mails from that public provider, to your mail
    soft of choice ?

    > - Will secure with OpenVPN. Possibly put VPN server behind two NAT
    > routers in serial, is this needed or any better alternatives?

    Depends on your needs, of course. In many cases ssh might be enough to
    connect.
    Two NAT servers in serial ? I've never heard that one before. Why?
    Don't think it would add much to security.

    > [Cross-posting from uk.comp.home-networking as not getting much
    > feedback there and I reckon this list would have alot of experience
    > with this.]

    You might be having a lack of response, because the situation seems a bit
    weird. (no offence intended)
    You seem to go from a very unsecure (gmail) mail storage, to a solution that
    might be seen as a bit extreme. Any reasons?

    Douglas Adams

+ Reply to Thread